Upgraded SMIC

G2 GofF

TDI
2011 Jetta
Hello

I have a 2000 Golf but the PO smashed up the intercooler in it and it shall be replaced. Now im on a very tight budget but the stock intercooler for my car is around 400$ and the aftermarket one is 600$. I would go with boost factory cause it is fairly cheap. My car currently has 216 nozzles but will soon be getting a alligator tune. Is it worth the extra effort to get a after market intercooler or should I just get a new one from the dealer.

Street Toys

Veteran Member
TDI
sold
First of all... please excuse my ignorance...I'm trying to decifer PO? I take it your wife? (its either that or your parole officer was driving your car?)
If it was involved in an accident, then get the $400.00 from your insurance company and kick the extra $200.00 in and give KERMA a call. I'm sure that he could hook you up with a good FMIC. That way you could go ahead and do whatever more mods you might have in mind and not worry about the IC?:eek:

G2 GofF

TDI
2011 Jetta
No lol the previous owner smashed it up. Never noticed till now, (acutally when doing the joey mod) and trying to find these TDI is almost impossible these days so i had to buy it. I cant choke 800$ american for a intercooler I hate the idea of $400 really. Used ones arent really around tho. Im thinkin im gunna revert to stock for the sake of simplicity. At least it will run right.

evangelos

Veteran Member
TDI
none yet
i have seen oem smic sell for 50$ very often at vwvortex.com

check it out you never know what u can find.

evan

NathanMSL

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2005, PD100, white
I've got my stock smic just laying here doing nothing. I took it off the car at 35k so its in perfect shape. It does not include the map sensor though. How does $100 plus shipping sound?

G2 GofF

TDI
2011 Jetta
Thanks

Today I order an intercooler. NathanMSL thanks for the offer but I dont know how much hassle of shipping I wanna go through with. Correct me if im wrong but isnt the intercooler alot smaller and diffrent for the PD's. I beleive they are signifigantly smaller. My main question would be cause I am ordering a new one, am I getting the smaller later one or the bigger original one. Thanks a bunch. It was a running change in 2002-2003 models from what I have read. Im curious.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Euro Jet is sending me one of their new SMIC to demonstrate. The suggested retail price is in the $500 range.

Vindiesel6

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Golf GLS TDI & 2015 Q5 TDI
I would be very interested to know when the Euro Jet SMIC is on sale! Especially if the price is kept around $500!

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
I'm supposed to be getting one or two prototypes here in the next week or so.

NuklearTDI

TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI
Does the Euro Jet SMIC include piping or does it use the stock piping? Either way, once I have the money and mods to need it, I would definately get one.

Kabin

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta '04 PD TDI/Tip
Eurojet's $500 SMIC is 8"x8"x5" which is comparable to Boost Factory's $550 SMIC's 8"x8.1"x6." Eurojet isn't quite as deep which some have suggested helps air flow.

Vindiesel6

Veteran Member
TDI
fire32njetta said:
I wanna hear how this Eurojet SMIC goes. Tyrolsports sounds nice but yea too expensive.
I agree, I would love to have a tyrolsport SMIC but they are just too much money. I hope the Eurojet SMIC is available soon, it seems with in my price range!!!

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
KERMAEuro Jet is sending me one of their new SMIC to demonstrate. The suggested retail price is in the $500 range.
Dammit Charlie, there you go again:cool: always finding something we need/ want. That sounds like a winner to me! cant wait :D

Eric B

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
Over here you can get front mounted kits for around £350-£400. Is it really worth uprating the existing side mounted IC when ultimately the best one would be placed at the front of the car in direct airflow? I think a lot of the cooling potential of any IC is the fact it's hidden behind bodywork - mine's 95% in direct head on airflow.

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
I agree. :) I wouldn't have needed an FMIC had I been staying around the 160hp (flywheel) mark. But to push beyond that the most effective way was to have the most amount of metal in direct airflow for maximum cooling of the charged air. I've not seen temps higher than 60 C, even in mid summer 30 deg C temps.

a350z4me

TDI
98 Jetta TDI
+1 for Boost Factory.

My roommate has a Boost Factory SMIC on his 2000 GTI 1.8T and loves it. It's significantly cheaper than the TyrolSport and defintely works well.

Vindiesel6

Veteran Member
TDI
The boost factory SMIC does not come to fit the TDI though does it? I thought it requred custom piping and modification to fit. Someone correct me if I am wrong. Thanks.

richw

TDI
PD115
devonutopia said:
Over here you can get front mounted kits for around £350-£400.
<thread hijack>

:eek: Where?? I've only found allard FMIC kit but thats twice the price, I've found forge do some universal intercoolers (not kit) that are smaller than other front mount kits but come in just over 220 quid.

</thread hijack>

delvi__acevedo

Mod'aholic
TDI
Getta GLS,2001,silver
Vindiesel6 said:
The boost factory SMIC does not come to fit the TDI though does it? I thought it requred custom piping and modification to fit. Someone correct me if I am wrong. Thanks.
is plug and play just like the tyrolsport...

Vindiesel6

Veteran Member
TDI
Then I guess depending on prices I'm in the market for either a New Eurojet SMIC or one from Boostfactory. I would rather buy the Eurojet, provided the price stays below that of Boostfactories product.

delvi__acevedo

Mod'aholic
TDI
Getta GLS,2001,silver
I found a Boost factory used on vortex it should come in sometime next week here is some pictures of it..

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

only waiting on UPS:D

[/IMG]

BlakGolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 mk4 golf
if the ups people really looked like that i would let them stiff me every time with their ridiculous custom declaration paperwork fees that are always more $ then the custom fee itself :cool: