2.0 CR big turbo build, aiming to set WR

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
Was The turbine upgraded at all ? Any fancy ceramic ball bearing cartridge in it ? Take no offense but the welds on that manifold do look like they were made by a beginner...hence why I asked if they were made with the fronius ! If it works well then, it did serve it’s purpose...I have friend with a vklr turbo fitted on a dark side manifold and that cracked a short while after being installed. In the end we made a cantilever bracket with rose joints in order to stop it from cracking. Dark side advised against it but it did work although Vlad bought an m3 twin turbo so the 2.0 tdi doesn’t get used much !
Dont forget the manifold broke WITH the bracket against my advice :(

xjay1337

Veteran Member
TDI
Scirocco CR170.
To be completely fair to Ryan and Darkside, I have had a Darkside manifold for what, 3 years?
Mounted with a 2260 and now my VKLR and I've had no issues with the manifold at all.

It's very, very well made.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
hmm, not really, half of the bolts u cannot acces, and you need to put a bolt instead of stud sometimes (not done practice imo) and on top of that it like to warp like a banana after a few heatcycles so it becomes leaky at the head flange.

Chance is also 100% if after some use you want to remove the plug in the EMP port it will break off and leave u with half a day of work to fix it.

also it provides totally no clearance to confortable set stopscrew

I had to turn people away with leaky manifold as I cannot waste my time on it anymore.

Imo a cast mani with properly welded turbine housing is still way superior. its cheap (free), easy acces, low volume, doesnt warp, lets you use front egr port location for EMP on oval port heads and retains stock studs and easily flows over 350hp. win-win

xjay1337

Veteran Member
TDI
Scirocco CR170.
Maybe it's a pain to work with, that's why I pay other people for the dirty work :D
I just know that mine has been fine, had a few issues with studs but aside from that...no cracks etc.

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
Totally agree with Rubem on this.
We are making it now so we can have better acces to the nuts. Stops crew is difficult to acces, a PITA.
I havent any issues with gas leak with mine. At least that was done well by the bulgarian.

I wanted to go with bmw vband version but its just too big to fit there. Maybe cut vklr housing and put vband on it would be a good option.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
Dont forget the manifold broke WITH the bracket against my advice :(
Hi Ryan, I am not dissing your product but I am just talking my experiences. The manifold broke first before making the bracket. Vlad asked me to weld it for him but in the end we decided to send it back to you for warranty purposes. To be fair, it held fine since then but he has 2 more daily cars and after having another baby, he did not drive it much ! The moral of the story is pretty welds don’t usually last...I too built a few manifolds and when you factor in high EGT and diesel vibration the weakest link it’s showing it’s ugly face- usually cracks by the flange and runners. This can be influenced by materials used (I had a mixture of bends some Chinese and some Taiwanese ) and filler choice- 306,309 or 316 rods..

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
Totally agree with Rubem on this.
We are making it now so we can have better acces to the nuts. Stops crew is difficult to acces, a PITA.
I havent any issues with gas leak with mine. At least that was done well by the bulgarian.

I wanted to go with bmw vband version but its just too big to fit there. Maybe cut vklr housing and put vband on it would be a good option.
Cheap V bands are a pain in the ass to seal properly, I had stainless steel flanges cut on a Cnc mill and they held fine however I prefer using high quality bolts and copper nuts- they stand better the test of time ! As the thread starts to steer of its course I suggest we go back to discussing improvements that work !

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
Took advantage of a nice day to make some upgrades:
-custom valve springs
-turbo-ic piping
-upgraded the bolts that hold injectors
Tomorrow i see if i can make an adapter for the mocal sandwich plate since they sent me the wrong adapter.

Anybody know which is the good adapter? see below

Last edited:

Yucca

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH 388bhp, Polo 6R 2.0TDI CR GTC1752VZ
You can use that adapter if you grind it little and put it upside down.

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
Yes i solved it my way. This is the position the sandwich plate on the engine, heat exchanger sits below the plate.
Hex part was too tall and the sandwich plate did not seat on the rubber seal.

I'm gonna make a radiator to seat central above the IC

Last edited:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Why external, still running into heat issues even with the big oil/water exchanger?
B6/B7 has a big plate heat exchanger for the trans cooler, mounted for easy access in the junkyard, maybe use one of those for your oil.

Syncrogreg

Vendor
TDI
2.0 TDI CR SWAP ALWAYS FOR SALE
Where did you get that sandwich cooler adaptor? I have one that is getting bad seals i could buy a second one for my spare race engine ;-)

Thx

Greg

Yes i solved it my way. This is the position the sandwich plate on the engine, heat exchanger sits below the plate.
Hex part was too tall and the sandwich plate did not seat on the rubber seal.

I'm gonna make a radiator to seat central above the IC

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
Part is Otsp1 on ebay.co.uk or from merlin motorsport in uk.

Since i dont have the manifold to put turbo i did a test with the lightest wheels i could find 6.3kg/piece Oz Alleggerita

Not happy. Brake upgrade to the RS3 calipers with 340mm discs next.

Last edited:

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
Paid 650 i think, really a good deal :D
17" 8J , i already put some new GY Assy 3 on them. Cant wait to test and see how they feel. Preparing also the aluminum hubs from S3 to save some weight + lighter calipers.

I would go for the discs also but 550euro seem a little too much for 2 discs 1.4kg lighter than what i have now. Maybe later.

Last edited:

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
The aluminum knuckles are worth it. Feels nimble on my car...along with the 8 piston front calipers which are far lighter than the discs...even with aluminum centers.

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
Good luck fitting the RS3/TTRS calipers with 17" wheels.
340mm rotors might be a tight fit. But maybe you'll get lucky :)

StopTech guide:

328mm rotor (12.9") - minimum 17" wheel

332mm rotor (13.1") - minimum 17" wheel

355mm rotor (14") - minimum 18" wheel

380mm rotor (15") - minimum 19" wheel

TheoSweden

Veteran Member
TDI
A3Q,A4Q, Passat Biturbo TDI
Very big difference between normal ****wheels and the ones discussed here. OZ always accept big discs(calipers), (have big inner diameter).

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
I had to modify the caliper brackets by 2.5mm , now there is extra clearance. Im happy because i wanted the lightest wheels i can find in 17".
As soon as i feel ok i will start putting the engine back and make some tests with the new setup.

xjay1337

Veteran Member
TDI
Scirocco CR170.
Very big difference between normal ****wheels and the ones discussed here. OZ always accept big discs(calipers), (have big inner diameter).
Yes, I have tried 17 inch OZ Ultras on my car (I have same brakes that Mac is trying to use) and they did not fit.
Hence why I have 18 inch OZ Ultras. :)

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
The 17" Oz Alleggerita fit well after a few mods with RS3 calipers /340mm disc

Long time since i updated this thread.
I ended up building my own turbo because i had some issues with 2565vklr.
It was challenging job but in the end i am very satisfied with the results.

Big thanks to Alex from Z-turbo aka Majesty on the forum for the light tw i received. A real gentleman!

100% built by me, just the balancing was done on vsr machine by different person.

It works very nice, spools much earlier than everything i had so far but there is room from improvement for sure.
No blue smoke on exhaust either and no black smoke at low rpm.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Hmm, clearingcing the housing usually wasnt the issue with the other suppliers. Does the wheel you use have same seal design as garret or it has the td05 single ring design?

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Thats good! Same ring dia as garrett? The turbos I had had the bigger dia ring from td05 and required the housing to be modified to accept it.

Do you know the exact dimensions on the wheel? 51/49 ? We got one from finturbo with the garrett oil seal section but the wheel had nearly trim 100..

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
No modifying here Ruben, straight fit.
I have a feeling im gonna try another version of this TW soon combined with little bigger cw.
First i need to make this one work better.
Now its 1bar 2400rpm
2 bar 2900 2.6bar 3600rpm 2.85 @3750rpm

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
No modifying here Ruben, straight fit.
I have a feeling im gonna try another version of this TW soon combined with little bigger cw.
First i need to make this one work better.
Now its 1bar 2400rpm
2 bar 2900 2.6bar 3600rpm 2.85 @3750rpm
What will be different to that new version? Can you post the dimension of the wheels?

I think if you go bigger on cw in this housing you will gain little top for a considerable penalty in surge. For a clean 400 you need 3.1-3.2 bar at 4500 rpm.