BHW B5.5 FHN Manual Swap - Manual Tranny Speed Sensor Question

rocketboy52

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat TDI
So I'm getting close to finishing my Auto-> Manual swap. Over the last few evenings and weekend, I replaced coolant manifold, the Tandem pump and the rear main seal. I installed the flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, clutch hard-line and installed the transmission. I've sinched up the subframe sway bar, stick shift mechanism and loaded new tranny fluid. For those who are doing this job, Oriellys auto parts sells a 3 tool set of the XYZ drivers with the hole in the middle that makes removing and reinstalling the tranny plug a snap. The set of three only cost $9. Way better then the VW price of $37.

Right now I'm kicking myself because I didn't thoroughly inspect the new manual transmission before install, and the plug/Speed sensor on the driver side of the transmission is different on my replacement tranny then the one that everyone else seems to have. In stead of having a male plug with 5 pins, its this weird plastic piece with 3 raised bumps on it. the two questions are:

1. Does anyone know if the speed sensor from the auto tranny is the same one in the manual? Is there a reason I cant just swap them? In all the other threads, I've not seen it mentioned that others have had to buy or swap this sensor.

2. Has anyone successfully done sensor R & R with the tranny in the car? The speed sensor on the auto has this long finger that stretches out to clip under a boss in the casting to keep the sensor engaged and in place. Does it install similarly on the Manual? I've been trying to find a good picture. Levi shows the sensor already installed in his Youtube video, so maybe I'm special and most other FHN transmissions have come with this sensor already installed?

I ordered a new master cylinder from ECS and I'm waiting for it to arrive. I'm also waiting on the reverse light plugs connector to show up. I then need to bleed the clutch, and then button up the interior and then I should be able to drive it! I'm super excited!

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
The auto one will work in the manual