Corrado mTDI or B3 Passat mTDI...Oye

RabbitGTDJoe

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit GTD (future TDI)
So...I have been presented with a interesting situation. I had the Corrado itch again (former owner of a 91 Stg. 4 Lysholm Corrado a few years ago) and I started looking. Inquired about a few in my local area and I was able to find a 1992 Corrado SLC VR6 with 122k original miles on it. The tranny is toast (hole in diff area) and the alternator is seized as well (not sure why).
To make a long story short, I have worked a deal that would allow me to trade....straight up....my 1991 Passat Wagon (that I am currently working on the mTDI conversion for) for the corrado. No money exchanged....
This might be a stupid question...I just want to make sure its not more of the "itch" talking.
I'd probably go ahead then and swap the 'rado to mTDI as that is the current motor I'm building for the b3 as I am not a fan of the VR6 motor.
Here are the specs and a few pics of the b3...
1991 VW Passat Wagon
154k on the 4cyl 2.0l 16v DOHC Engine…averaging around 33mpg daily
Low miles tranny…maybe 100k on it now
TT chip in the stock ECU
Aftermarket TT Exhaust with Dynomax muffler
Upgraded plug wires
Reman distributor
Reman alternator
New axles (1 yr old)
New clutch (VR model….2yrs old…about 20k on it at this point)
Bilstein HD struts at all four corners with Neuspeed Springs….rides GREAT!!!
Hella DE headlights (with custom double relay harness that really makes them shine)
Canadian Spec seat belts (no automatic belts)
Black leather seats and stock cloth heated seats
17” wheels with new rubber
Also…spare set of winter tires on stock steel wheels

Lots of extra parts as well (spare block, crank, rods, misc interior, spare DE parts, etc.)

What would you do?
I do know the 'rado will need a tranny (not a prob...as I have two TDI CTN's here...it just would be late fall or spring before it'd be on the road), an alternator and some misc work. Also, it appears that the SLC is also ABS equipped as well.
The debate for me comes down to:
1. How do I feel about getting rid of the daily, and very utilitarian oriented passat wagon and going to the 'rado...with an mtdi of course.
2. How do I feel about converting an SLC to mTDI...as it is a fairly original car...and having that be my "driver" (Though, new job only requires me to drive 2miles to work....most the time I will be biking).
3. How is the trade off?

Joe

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I hope you know my choice :)

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
On a cool factor - Corrado
On monitary value - Corrado
Hauling bricks and 2x4's - passat

I have a Passat Syncro Wagon TDI and love it for the relaxed anonamous cruizing and all the practical hauling I do with it..but I do have a truck too. :rolleyes: However, I would love a Corrado, or even better a Sycnro (or Quattro) Corrado TDI conversion. Personally, I would want a tunned PD150for the job.

I am sure you will be happy either way. Best of luck in your choice.

PS - I Enjoy your threads.

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GOLF 2DR, ‘15 Passat SEL TDI
as a former corrado owner, I can only say that I miss that car pretty much every day. same goes for my 16v scirocco. I agree w/ syncro though-as a hatchback, the corrado wasn't much of a hauler! If I had the money and time I would absolutely want a corrado again, even with a supercharged 1.8L that runs on *gasp* gasoline! with a pd 150 I'd be in heaven!