can't hear my turbo

KeithM

TDI
NA
can\'t hear my turbo

I just picked up my '05 Golf TDI (anthricite blue ... not my first, second, third, or fourth choice, but it's all the dealer could get "fresh" with an interior that wasn't black).

I've read here about hearing the turbo. I don't hear the turbo, or if I do, I don't know enough to recognize it.

What's it sound like?

thanks

Keith

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Re: can\'t hear my turbo

It's a high-pitched whine.

You usually can't hear it with the windows up. Roll your windows down, or just the front passenger one. You'll hear it then when you accelerate. If you wanna hear it really good, drive next to a concrete wall or buildings. Also, when the engine is nice and warm, put it in neutral and rev 'er some, you'll hear it then too.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
can\'t hear my turbo

can't hear my turbo
Neither can I
On some cars you can appearently hear it very faintly... on some you can't.

(JetWag03's responce when driving my car: "Wow, the turbo is totally silent in your car!")

-Jason

cmitchell

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS black / black leather
can\'t hear my turbo

I've NEVER heard my turbo. I've listened and listened. I've done the passenger window down next to a wall trick. I've been told a dozen times specifically what to listen for, and the noise just isn't there. The car runs just great so I stopped worrying about it a long time ago.

Thermo1223

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Jetta 5M-'04 JW A5

I actually can only hear mine slightly when cold with everything in the inside. I mean "slightly" too, it basically sounds like a high pitched noise rather then whine on the inside, with the windows down it's a different story though...

Robble

TDI
Golf GL TDI, 1995, Red

Most of the time I can't hear mine at all. Now and again I can hear it quite plainly. Not sure why this is, maybe something to do with atmospheric conditions?????