Tallest Tire that fits on 2012 TDI Jetta

LovinPSDs

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Gone, looking for a cheap commuter
Here in Texas we run the highways entirely to fast for the DSG gearing. I'm due for new tires so I was wondering how tall I can go before there are any rubbing or fitment issues. Either way I have to buy new ones, so might as well go as tall as freakin possible.

I'm just not thrilled with running 2700 RPMs while cruising down the highway. (34-35mpg consistently)

Thanks Guys,

Ian

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG w/tech package
2700 RPM? How fast are you driving on the Highway? I need to check but I believe 2300 RPM gets me 70 MPH with my DSG.

What size tires are you running now?

Last edited:

No More Buffalo

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2015 Golf SEL 6m Sold: 2012 Golf 2dr DSG
If that's true that'd mean 82mph. Texas has some roads (toll roads I think?) with 85mph speed limits these days.

I really don't think you'll be able to get a tire tall enough to make any real difference in the RPM, and even if you could I doubt it would make that much difference in MPG. There's no escaping air resistance.

LovinPSDs

Veteran Member
TDI
The road I run to work everyday is 75mph posted meaning 80 on the cruise (more like 2650 RPM). We do have a toll road with a post limit of 85 with plenty of people running into the 90s as well.
The car currently has Hankook Optimo H725A (205/55/R16s) - measuring 24.9"T x 8.4"W @ 22lbs each.
Regardless I have to buy tires, the manual tranny is 10-25% taller in gears, and I can get a taller tire @ or very close to the same weight. So I'm thinking outloud and saying.. why the heck wouldn't I?
The DSG 6th gear is really killing me, you'd think VW would have geared this thing for better highway driving (autobahn anyone? How about a Texas edition :D ) And NO, slowing down for mileage is not in the cards...

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
It would seem like getting the manual Jetta is the way to go.

Can you change out the final drive gear?

LovinPSDs

Veteran Member
TDI
It would seem like getting the manual Jetta is the way to go.

Can you change out the final drive gear?

Cars already in my driveway, plus Houston Traffic would suck with a manual :eek:

I think you guys are missing it. The car HAS to get new tires, so I MIGHT AS WELL get alil bit bigger ones if there is no fitment issues. If I can't actually drum up any info then stock size it is.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
That car could do triple digit speeds all day long just as it left the factory. You will do more bad than good by changing tire size. Because all you'll do is make the car looser and less stable at higher speeds. 2700 RPMs is not a problem. 3500 RPMs is not a problem. The engine won't care. This is a small, high reving (for a diesel) DOHC belt driven engine. It isn't a farm tractor.

Just get good quality OEM size tires and enjoy the ride.

FWIW, I blast into triple digit speeds in my [lower geared than your car] Golf pretty much every single day, and do 90 or so average for about 25 of the 50 miles I drive to work. It hasn't let me down yet.

Last edited:

No More Buffalo

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2015 Golf SEL 6m Sold: 2012 Golf 2dr DSG
FWIW, I blast into triple digit speeds in my [lower geared than your car] Golf pretty much every single day, and do 90 or so average for about 25 of the 50 miles I drive to work. It hasn't let me down yet.
Cops in your neck of the woods must have a sense of humor. That wouldn't end so well around here.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Cops in your neck of the woods must have a sense of humor. That wouldn't end so well around here.

No cops along that section of divided interstate at 5am. Driven it every day for 17 years now. I know all their hiding spots even when they are out. Very little traffic at all. And it isn't like I am the only one going that fast then.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Thats awesome "Its not a farm tractor" Farm tractors are tough but so are TDIs and i wouldny worry about runnin a 1466 at 3500 rpms either. Like OH said. Your car came from the factory already engineered no need to re-engineer this aspect.

FiveFilter

TDI
Man, driving 90 in the 5 am darkness in deer-filled Texas. Wow. Tip-of-the-hat to you.

Oops, or is it St. Louis?

F5air

TDI
Jetta mk6 tdi
i installed 215/55/17 in my TDI, no problems and it feels really nice. I hate all the roads here which bend my 4 wheels before, so sold them and got this setup with beetle sport 17" rims.

LovinPSDs

Veteran Member
TDI
Man, driving 90 in the 5 am darkness in deer-filled Texas. Wow. Tip-of-the-hat to you.

Oops, or is it St. Louis?

I've been leaving the house at 2:30am, but yes there are deer! Good thing about south texas, it's flat and at 2:30 there aren't alot of cars out so the brights typically pick up anything hanging out near the road.

LovinPSDs

Veteran Member
TDI
Like OH said. Your car came from the factory already engineered no need to re-engineer this aspect.

While I agree, this car has already been engineered, I don't believe it was engineered to maximize my specific situation... Hence why we all change our cars! I see you have a decent mod list yourself...

LovinPSDs

Veteran Member
TDI
F5Air - GREAT INFO!!! Exactly what I was looking for. Per a tire comparison app, +5.8% change in revs per mile.

One other question for ya'll - Why does VW have such different gear ratios between the DSG and the manual? 5th basically = 6th from the manual to DSG. It's like ya'll got an extra OD!

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Tore shop that put mine on said they wouldnt fit. I told them to put em on anyway and sure enough they fit. Sometimes ya just gota force it.