Keeping an unfixed TDI in an emissions testing state

squirrelhenge

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Greetings,

I've got a 2010 Golf TDI that I love, and I was pondering the possibility of not taking the buyout and also not having the fix done, if it impacts performance and efficiency as much as is being rumored. (Rumors being such very reliable guides to decision making, don't you know.)

But there's a catch, possibly a big one: I just moved to Massachusetts and now, for the first time, have required emissions testing. I've been trying to sort out what happens if you have an affected TDI that isn't fixed, and you take it in for emissions testing. I haven't found anything on the state DOT website that gives me a clue. Anyone out there have any insights?

Thanks,

Eric

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Have no fear - as long as it passes OBDII scan you're good. It's in the settlement.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Have no fear - as long as it passes OBDII scan you're good. It's in the settlement.
Not sure that's true. I'm reading differing opinions on that. Folks in CA are saying that registration renewal will be denied unless the owner can prove that the "fix" has been completed. MA is also a CARB state so we may follow California's lead.

But don't assume what I'm writing is correct, or that the fix is a bad idea, until we know more about both.

Welcome to Massachusetts!

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Not sure that's true. I'm reading differing opinions on that. Folks in CA are saying that registration renewal will be denied unless the owner can prove that the "fix" has been completed. MA is also a CARB state so we may follow California's lead.

But don't assume what I'm writing is correct, or that the fix is a bad idea, until we know more about both.

Welcome to Massachusetts!

In the settlement - There is money for the states for pollution abatement / etc. If the states take THAT money (and at least 44 of 50 (including California and the other 5 largest states) have said yes so far. Having or not having a fix is NOT a valid reason for denying registration.

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 6 speed, 2012 Passat DSG
just consider this series of generations of TDI were expertly designed to fool emissions testing without getting caught for 7 years. Im sure it will pass with flying colors as designed

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
In the settlement - There is money for the states for pollution abatement / etc. If the states take THAT money (and at least 44 of 50 (including California and the other 5 largest states) have said yes so far. Having or not having a fix is NOT a valid reason for denying registration.
May your dream become reality. But I doubt it will.
Heck, I even had to complete 23O6 to register this year and you think they'll let this slide?

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
May your dream become reality. But I doubt it will.
Heck, I even had to complete 23O6 to register this year and you think they'll let this slide?
They can't hold you to a fix that doesn't exist yet. IMHO, I suspect VW will run the clock out for Gen1 TDIs and a fix will never happen. We'll find out later on around December-January.