Engine Coolant Temp. Sensor (G62): Implausible Signal

kajetan

TDI
2001 New Beetle 1.8L Turbo
Hello there!

I was driving down the 417 doing around 130km/h (80mph), it was cold out, -19oC (-3oF) and my check engine light came on. The next day I whipped out my trusty Ross-Tech VAG-COM and sure enough there was a fault:

Address 01: Engine Labels: None
Part No: 06A 906 032 EM
Component: 1.8l 5VT NB AG4 G 3594
Coding: 00003
Shop #: WSC 00066

1 Fault Found:
16500 - Engine Coolant Temp. Sensor (G62): Implausible Signal
P0116 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
Readiness: 0000 0000

I cleared it hoping that it was a one time blip due to the cold. No go, the fault came back a few days later, again though, while driving fast on a cool night.

Funny thing is, I cleared it a few more times and the check engine light did not return even after going on an out of town trip (again 130km/h -20oC weather) however when I do a scan the same fault is there.

Also when stopped at a red light, or when parking I often hear what I though was the radiator fan spinning up and them powering down after only two seconds.

I took it to the dealer with a good reputation for service. After an hour of diag time ($106/h), they told me my small rad fas has seized up and needs to be replaced. That would cost me $477. I told them I'd think about it.

I came home and popped the trunk (with engine off). I spung my large rad fan with my hand, then the small one. Funny thing is they both spung about the same amount give a similar push. I started the engine. Shortly after I heard the same noise that I though was caused by the spinning rad fan but it turned out it was not the rad fan, no fans were spinning yet I could still hear the noise.

I turned on the A/C and the large rad fan started but not the small one.

Here's what I'm wondering:

1) What could be causing the spin up noise.
2) Can I use VAG-COM to selectively and at will turn on and off my rad fans (to prove to the dealer and to myself that the small fan can spin)
3) If not how can I force the small fan to come on.
4) What could be causing the Engine Coolant Temp fault.

I have a 2001 New Beetle with the 1.8 turbo gas engine.

P.S. I also have the Scan Guage and have been using it to keep a tab on my water temperature. What kind of range should I be getting?

Thank you.