2002 Golf Coolant Lost No Signs Externally

PatrickPresti

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Golf TDI
Hi Guys,

I got a 2002 Golf TDI that's losing a good amount of coolant but I don't see it anywhere externally. The engine oil looks nice and black. There is no soot in the coolant expansion tank. Any idea where I should be looking to find this leak? Thanks. Pat

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Not to sound stupid or insulting, but have you been underneath, cover (pan) removed? Also, water pump is under the timing belt cover. You can open the overflow tank and rev the motor, if it blows out the tank, you may have a blown head gasket or something swapping combustion and coolant.

PatrickPresti

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Golf TDI
Not to sound stupid or insulting, but have you been underneath, cover (pan) removed? Also, water pump is under the timing belt cover. You can open the overflow tank and rev the motor, if it blows out the tank, you may have a blown head gasket or something swapping combustion and coolant.
No pan under the car. I popped off the timing belt shroud and it's dry... I will rev the engine and and see if it blows out the tank...

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
That's good. How fast is it leaking? How long been doin this?
If it's not coming out the motor/hoses/heater core it's going in the motor and would blow stream out the exhaust, may not be noticeable.

PatrickPresti

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Golf TDI
That's good. How fast is it leaking? How long been doin this?
If it's not coming out the motor/hoses/heater core it's going in the motor and would blow stream out the exhaust, may not be noticeable.
It's been going on for the past week... Yeah, there is no smell in the cabin... How do I check if it's leaking through the EGR?

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
The only CERTAIN way is to remove the EGR cooler and pressurize it to see if it leaks. That's not certain either, since it may only leak when hot -- but it's pretty reliable.

The other thing is that USUALLY if you park it for a while and let it cool down all the way if it's leaking from the EGR cooler it'll produce spotting under the tailpipe. Not always -- but usually.

PatrickPresti

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Golf TDI
The only CERTAIN way is to remove the EGR cooler and pressurize it to see if it leaks. That's not certain either, since it may only leak when hot -- but it's pretty reliable.

The other thing is that USUALLY if you park it for a while and let it cool down all the way if it's leaking from the EGR cooler it'll produce spotting under the tailpipe. Not always -- but usually.
Where under the exhaust should I be looking?

PatrickPresti

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Golf TDI
My guess: heater core connector o-rings.
Good news! I found the leak today. I am losing coolant where the coolant feeding into the heater converts from hose to the heater core pipe. It's the one closest to the steering wheel. What is usually the culprit to causing that to leak?

PatrickPresti

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Golf TDI
All fixed! I replaced the o-ring in the fitting that connects the coolant hose to the heater core. Thanks for your help guys!