Car Shakes

timecodeclock

TDI
old ride:2001 beetle, new ride:2006 jetta
Hello Everyone,

My car has this shaking issue, not so bad in city driving but gets worst as my speed increases. Happens with both winter and all season tires(on their own rims). Brakes and bearings are good, struts and shocks i believe are original, alignment just done, some improvement.

Anything else i could check or missed.
Car has 333K.

Thanks
tcc

PduBerer

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf TDI GLS (RIP), 2002 Jetta TDI GLS, 2014 Golf Wagon TDI DSG Wolfsburg Edition, 2014 Touareg TDI Execline
Drive axles perhaps? Do you feel it more as you accelerate?

amacd

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Where is the "shake" the whole car? In the floor? Steering wheel? Brakes applied? Does it go away if u apply the p-brake?

Andrew

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
I had shaking in my brake pedal and steering wheel... My control arm bushings were shot. Replaced them and all good.

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
More info

Yup, need more info. Front? Back?...changes with accel, decel? Turning? If someone aligned it, they didn't give you any indication of what it may or not be?

germanoem

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
no TDIs in the fleet...yet
Hello Everyone,

My car has this shaking issue, not so bad in city driving but gets worst as my speed increases. Happens with both winter and all season tires(on their own rims). Brakes and bearings are good, struts and shocks i believe are original, alignment just done, some improvement.

Anything else i could check or missed.
Car has 333K.

Thanks
tcc
Axles is my first guess, followed by control arm bushings. Potentially shocks, but I'd be more inclined to call that on a Jeep or mudder vs. a mk4.

Do you have wheel spacers? If they're off slightly, that could cause your problems.

Have the tires been used for a few seasons? If the tires were cupped previous to having the alignment done, you could certainly feel it.

timecodeclock

TDI
old ride:2001 beetle, new ride:2006 jetta
car brakes fine...shaking is almost non-existent until around 80kmh, at that point the steeling wheel shakes a bit and the passenger seat back starts to shakes, above 100 more steering wheel shake and seat back shaking about half an inch. I ruled out balancing as it makes no difference if i switch front to back or winter to all season.

Thanks to everyone for the help, going to take a look at the axles first and go from there.

tcc

muhibmc

Veteran Member
TDI
Previously > 2006 Jetta TDI BRM 5MT [Silver], 2000 Jetta TDI ALH 5MT [Blue] , 2005.5 Jetta BRM DSG [Grey]
if the shake is more of a side to side shake/wobble then its your inner CV.

in my case you could feel the shaking/wobble at low speeds then as you picked up speed it would go away at certain speeds, then come back in at higher speeds.

I fixed it by replacing the Drive Axles on both sides. (when I removed them it was obvious the driver side inner cv was shot)

so far no shaking :)

nkgagne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagen 6M, 2006 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
My Golf (VW Certified Pre-Owned) had a bum right driveshaft. Same symptoms but started at 100 km/h. It also had a (visibly) bad shock among others. I had the dealer replace both right after the sale, since they falsely represented the car's fitness.