GKN Axles & Joint explanation

frosz

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI 1.9 AFN -98 (Manual) ~480 000km Passat TDI 1.9 AVG -00 (Manual) ~170 000km Golf Variant 1.6 16v AZD -02 (Manual Petrol) ~220 000km
I thought it could be in interest for others also, so I share it.

I was a bit curious when I where looking for GKN Axles, so I mailed a Sales manager, it's in Danish but I will try to translate. I asked for a hollow axle vs solid, part number for my Passat and what's the difference of their brands, here's the answer:

Hi

Thank you for your inquiry. However, I'm not able to sell you the shafts directly, but refers to our partners; Mekonomen Meca, Atoy.

As far as I can see from your vehicle data, use the following Spidan part numbers:

22687 left drive shaft

22686 right drive shaft

Regarding bar or tubular shafts, this is not an expression of the difference in quality or vibration, but a careful selection of each car model and what is required for the drive shaft. See the different characteristics of the different types in the table below.

There are also "loose" joints to the gearbox side:

22825 left

22824 right

The above partners can using the number plate confirm whether it is correct part numbers.

The difference between GKN, Löbro and Spidan:

GKN is our company name

Spidan our aftermarket product name

Löbro our aftermarket product name

There is no product-related and price difference of Spidan and Löbro products.

As a reference, I can report that VW's drive shafts in the exchange program are all made ​​of GKN.

Best regards

Good to know that GKN is GKN even if you buy Spidan and Löbro. I can't really say much about the picture because I don't know what it means but maybe some one else can.