Mk7 Common issues and resolutions

Callipygian

TDI
'15 Golf TDI SEL manual
Yesterday got out of work to find my CEL has come on...awesome! The manual says ease off throttle and make your way to a garage... great! Second trip to dealer in a month, only 1400mi.
The cel stayed on all last night, had to run errands and restarted the car 3 times throughout, stayed on.
This morning get up for work and cel is gone.
Will dealer be able to read what it was?

Callipygian

TDI
'15 Golf TDI SEL manual
Im thinking about getting a Golf....so I reading this I can assume ya'll not having any squeeking/cracking/popping interior noises like the 11-12 Jetta's?
Car drives soundly other than what sounds like a somewhat louder than expected fan whir/whistle coming from the a/c vents when climate control is on.
The only popping was my blood vessels when I saw the cel come on last night.

Korab

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 golf TDI SEL 6MT w/ lighting and driver assistance package
Maybe. It depends on what it was. some reset, others leave a fault code. Always best to drive it straight to the garage and leave it idling until they can put put an OBD reader on it to pull the code.

Ben Carufel

TDI
2010 JSW, 2015 Golf
Yesterday got out of work to find my CEL has come on...awesome! The manual says ease off throttle and make your way to a garage... great! Second trip to dealer in a month, only 1400mi.
The cel stayed on all last night, had to run errands and restarted the car 3 times throughout, stayed on.
This morning get up for work and cel is gone.
Will dealer be able to read what it was?
In deference to what Korab said above; As I understand it, all OBDII cars will store a log of faults. If they've self-reset they will come up as "Not Currently Present" in the scan, but the code should still be stored.

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
As posted in a different thread on this forum, I am the second to see what appears to be crystallized urea from a small leak, so I wanted to include it in this sticky thread.

This is apparently the DEF injector port, which is located adjacent to the north-west corner of the engine cover (when viewed standing in front of the car).

WiszMaster, who first noted this, had his DEF injector port and feed hose replaced around 12/5. He hasn't yet reported whether the problem is gone or not.

I'm not sure as to the severity of this problem, but I'll be calling my dealer tomorrow to see what they say and hopefully have it addressed. I will report back on my experience. I would encourage everyone else with a Mk7 to check their cars.

StormyTDi

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL Manual
Total newbie question, so please go easy on me... :) I searched in the forums, but I was unable to locate any kind of basic list of things to check for before taking delivery on the MK7 TDI; I'm finally taking delivery of my TDI SEL this week, and want to be sure I look over any common issues and have them fixed before I drive off the lot. Below is what I've gathered from this thread...

- Dripping rear washer nozzle
- Fuel door mis-match on colors
- I’ve read somewhere to check that the doors align properly
- MDI cable for iPhone 6 should have a blue or green collar
- Hockey pucks used for shipping removed from springs
- This may not be apparent upon delivery, but keep an eye out for leaks on the DEF injector port

Any other suggestions, or items, of things to look for when I pick it up?

Thanks!!

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
Total newbie question, so please go easy on me... :) I searched in the forums, but I was unable to locate any kind of basic list of things to check for before taking delivery on the MK7 TDI; I'm finally taking delivery of my TDI SEL this week, and want to be sure I look over any common issues and have them fixed before I drive off the lot. Below is what I've gathered from this thread...

- Dripping rear washer nozzle
- Fuel door mis-match on colors
- I’ve read somewhere to check that the doors align properly
- MDI cable for iPhone 6 should have a blue or green collar
- Hockey pucks used for shipping removed from springs
- This may not be apparent upon delivery, but keep an eye out for leaks on the DEF injector port

Any other suggestions, or items, of things to look for when I pick it up?

Thanks!!
Other than the visual obvious , issues come up after you've put a few thousand miles on your new car.
Just go through all the controls inside the cabin and make sure they all work properly.
The dripping rear washer jet is a known issue and there is a TSB for it it the US anyways, fuel door mismatch that's one to take up with the dealer itself as they may or may not decide to repair that (I was promised a new one repainted but yet to see it)
crystalizing of the DEF you won't see right away during pickup

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

StormyTDi

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL Manual
Excellent, thanks!! I'm stoked - first VW and first diesel! :) Just waiting on the dealer's call to find out when I can come in. You'd think after waiting over 3 months, I'd be used to waiting by now - but it's worse knowing it's local and not being able to get it. Ugh...

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Excellent, thanks!! I'm stoked - first VW and first diesel! :) Just waiting on the dealer's call to find out when I can come in. You'd think after waiting over 3 months, I'd be used to waiting by now - but it's worse knowing it's local and not being able to get it. Ugh...
Merry Christmas :)

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
fuel door mismatch that's one to take up with the dealer itself as they may or may not decide to repair that (I was promised a new one repainted but yet to see it)

Be prepared for the new door not being an exact match either. The fuel door is plastic and takes paint differently than the metal body panels. largest issue is still the metallics, which is why the silver looks the worst. You are also now working with a different batch of paint that may or may not match your original batch. The "proper" way to fix this would be to have a body shop custom match what is actually on your car. however, this may also be the worst option long term since the body shops do not use OEM paints.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Be prepared for the new door not being an exact match either. The fuel door is plastic and takes paint differently than the metal body panels. largest issue is still the metallics, which is why the silver looks the worst. You are also now working with a different batch of paint that may or may not match your original batch. The "proper" way to fix this would be to have a body shop custom match what is actually on your car. however, this may also be the worst option long term since the body shops do not use OEM paints.
You sir are correct and I explained to the service manager that this should have been looked at during R&D phase prior to production not after the sale.
They've ordered a new door and custom match to body paint and yes the metalic are completely off.

Marsupial

TDI
'15 Golf TDI DSG S
Has anybody heard about that VW recall #24Bi? It definitely includes 2015 Golf but I'm wondering if it includes TDI variety.

Callipygian

TDI
'15 Golf TDI SEL manual
Curious, twice now I've had the cel come on when I start the car after it had cooled down from being interrupted (turned off) in a regen. Is this common?

Callipygian

TDI
'15 Golf TDI SEL manual
It seems until a regen is able to be completed. I may have shorted 2 consecutive attempts to regen. Its 15f outside and I only have a 15min ride to work. This is the second time it has happened, first time it went away after a 20mi trip, this time I haven't had a chance to go anywhere other than work/home yet so it is still on this morning.

Side note on warming up this engine, last night when I got home temp was at about 180 so I sat at idle to see if it would continue to climb, but it actually dropped down to about 170 after 10 minutes. It was 10 outside. Is this to be expected?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
It seems until a regen is able to be completed. I may have shorted 2 consecutive attempts to regen. Its 15f outside and I only have a 15min ride to work. This is the second time it has happened, first time it went away after a 20mi trip, this time I haven't had a chance to go anywhere other than work/home yet so it is still on this morning.

Side note on warming up this engine, last night when I got home temp was at about 180 so I sat at idle to see if it would continue to climb, but it actually dropped down to about 170 after 10 minutes. It was 10 outside. Is this to be expected?
Take the long way home (another 5 miles should be enough to complete the regen) or just let it idle in your driveway or the parking lot at work until it has finished.

It is normal for the cabin heater to suck more heat out of the cooling system than the engine can produce at idle.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Diesels, in general, do not produce heat at idle. You need to be driving to produce heat. So sitting in the drive with the car running and watching the temp gage go down would be normal.

You should probably find a guru or at least someone with a Vag-Com near you so you can pull the codes for the CEL. most autoparts stores will do it but they won't be able to tell you the same level of information. Sometimes their readers won't even give you the correct info on the VWs. Check out www.Ross-Tech.com for greater details on the Vag-Com

Callipygian

TDI
'15 Golf TDI SEL manual
Day three of engine light being on the attention warning light came on with a notification that adblue is low engine will not start in 600mi. (Car only has 3000mi)
Dealer diagnosed as faulty adblue controller/regulator and the part is on order under warranty.

As long as its fixed and adblue refilled by next wed (300mi work trip) then I can accept this as a risk taken when buying a first year redesigned vehicle.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Day three of engine light being on the attention warning light came on with a notification that adblue is low engine will not start in 600mi. (Car only has 3000mi)
Dealer diagnosed as faulty adblue controller/regulator and the part is on order under warranty.

As long as its fixed and adblue refilled by next wed (300mi work trip) then I can accept this as a risk taken when buying a first year redesigned vehicle.
This issue has been brought up in the mk7 forum within the last 2 months a little more reading on your part should give you the answer you need.
Also this isn't the 1st year of production for this model , it's been out know in Europe for well over a year, this is the first year for us in NA.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Golf_Mk7

It's covered under warranty so no big deal other than your time.
Heed the warnings that pop up in your instrument cluster if you've never owned a VW before.
If you're worried the car won't start due to low ADBlue before the dealer visit then just fill it up.
Good luck

Callipygian

TDI
'15 Golf TDI SEL manual
While I'm waiting for the part to arrive the cel and adblu lights have gone away. Temperatures outside have also gone up from single digits and teens up into the high 20s, first cel was also during the first big freeze we had. Seems temp related.

Thanks for the advice. You're correct. Buying a vw I should have been better prepared to spend more time researching whats wrong with my new car and reading seemingly endless volumes of forum posts about quality issues in between scheduling trips to the dealer.

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
As posted in a different thread on this forum, I am the second to see what appears to be crystallized urea from a small leak, so I wanted to include it in this sticky thread.

This is apparently the DEF injector port, which is located adjacent to the north-west corner of the engine cover (when viewed standing in front of the car).

WiszMaster, who first noted this, had his DEF injector port and feed hose replaced around 12/5. He hasn't yet reported whether the problem is gone or not.

I'm not sure as to the severity of this problem, but I'll be calling my dealer tomorrow to see what they say and hopefully have it addressed. I will report back on my experience. I would encourage everyone else with a Mk7 to check their cars.
Took the car to the dealer on 12/19 (Wellesley VW in MA). They confirmed that yes it was the AdBlue injector, that it was faulty and needed to be replaced. The part had to be ordered, but they let me keep driving it for a month, so they must not have been horribly concerned. Anyhow, I took it in for the scheduled replacement appointment yesterday. The job ended up being somewhat long; I left it around 8 am and got a call at 12 saying it was done.

All under warranty, no cost, etc., they may have also added some coolant...

I'll keep my eyes peeled for further leakage and crystallization and report back if anything comes up. I would again encourage everyone else to check their cars for this issue, as it's not very obvious unless you are looking very carefully. Pictures can be found on my previous post in this thread, as well as an older thread "Something Leaking..."

Q400Pylot

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S
Check my thread there appears to be some cold weather faults with this car. I urge everyone to post their experiences here and in their own threads whenever something pops up so we can see if there is any long term cold weather problems.

TurnOne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI 6MT
I have trouble opening fuel door when it's cold outside.
I also get a light ticking sound when I live the climate control in full auto mode with the heat on. Moving vent discharge to floor or forward facing vents immediately eliminates the sound.

Callipygian

TDI
'15 Golf TDI SEL manual
I have trouble opening fuel door when it's cold outside.
I also get a light ticking sound when I live the climate control in full auto mode with the heat on. Moving vent discharge to floor or forward facing vents immediately eliminates the sound.
Mine is at the dealer now getting "adblue" controller fixed, haven't seen paperwork with specifics yet. It appears to be cold weather related since the cel and adblue warnings only happened when below 20f.
Also, when climate control is on I can hear a constant whirring sound coming from the upper vents, like a slightly sqeaky wheel that needs grease. I'm afraid to tell the dealer about it because I'm afraid things will only get worse if they pull the dash apart.