Caliper reset tool trapped in caliper!

dqa

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP: 1999½ New Golf GL TDI satin silver
Waited too long to replace rear brake pads - was unable to slide my Harbor Freight caliper reset tool into position. With a little effort I used the wrench from my angle grinder to rotate the caliper. I was then able to get one knob of my caliper tool in place, but the other knob stayed firmly on the outer edge of the caliper piston. Good enough to rotate and apply a little pressure, but because there was not enough room for the pin and its disc to clear the far side of the caliper piston, it couldn't rotate any further clockwise. Meanwhile, the caliper reclaimed a bit of the slack space, so I couldn't wiggle the tool back out. Trying to turn the tool counterclockwise just tightens it as the caliper piston extends out.

Now I can't seem to free my tool from its jam. Suggestions?

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
The only thing I can think of would be to try to tap that pin back into the slot with a blunt chisel or screw driver or such. Are you sure you're using the correctly spaced pin set ? My tool fits exactly into the slots not hanging over either side.

dqa

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP: 1999½ New Golf GL TDI satin silver
ninedee_golf_tdi said:
My tool fits exactly into the slots not hanging over either side.
My piece of the tool fits exactly into the slots as well - but see how it's offset from the piston face? When assembled, the overall tool was too thick to slide the knobs over the piston face to get to the slots. Since the one slot was on the easy-to-access side, I slid one knob in there, hoping I could force the other one in, especially if I cranked the tool clockwise and forced the piston back. But it wasn't quite enough.

Last edited: