EA288 confirmed across the board by year end

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
I'm 90% sure the 140 hp engine is NOT going to be upgraded to 190. I read the same press release car and driver sees and the writer read it wrong. According to the release, gains will be "up to" 12% and "as much as" 26%. 140-190 is 36%.

The max power of 190 will probably be for the 170hp GTD engine, not the 140 hp engine currently sold in the US. Not saying it's not coming to the US, just saying the 140 hp engine will probably end up "up to" 12% and "as much as" 26% so I'm guessing 150-155 hp.
I think you're correct. Car and Driver can't even read the chart they posted with the article: The US compliant engine will have between 105-110 kW or about the same power as the current CR.
http://blog.caranddriver.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Volkswagen-TDI-diesel-EA288-2.jpg

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
VW has to deal with Mazda and others (cruze diesel) who are coming to NA in next year or 2....so I gotta believe that in the end we will get a slight bump in both FE and power but as everyone says improvements in Fuel pump and intercooler design cant come fast enough. if we did get upwards of 190HP I would be trading in a NY minute....I like a stomping powerful car...remember the new platform is promised to be up to 200 pds lighter....now that would be quite a combo even if FE is the same as today.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
It's impossible to construct a 4-stroke diesel engine in a way that is non-interference and which has a combustion chamber shape that we know to be necessary and with a sufficient compression ratio. That ain't it. All this means is that they have selected materials and construction for the timing belt that result in an expected lifetime longer than whatever they select the design lifetime of the engine to be. It's unlikely that anyone outside of VW's engineering would state what that design lifetime is. It's also general engineering practice to put safety factors on such "lifetimes".

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Keep in mind, VW has gone along with the shorter 'lifespan" of their vehicles in Europe as 7 to 8 years between disposal of cars. Also keep in mind that with the price of fuel in Europe, and the size, the distances driven are not as large as those in the USA. So, in VW's eyes, 150k miles may very well be a life time for the car...
As an European, I'd be royally pissed about a car that disintegrates after 150k miles... and I know a lot of people who drive cars with much more than that.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
The shift from the 100hp PD to the 140hp CR did not come with no change in fuel consumption either.
That's because the 2.0 isn't the replacement for the 1.9 in other markets... The job of being the "economy" option for a Golf, Beetle or Passat is now the 1.6 TDI's, while the 2.0 TDI is a more powerful, less economic option.

BarnyardsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf w/DSG, Malone Stage 2 (all emissions intact), HID's, Sunroof, Dynaudio, NAV
Meh.....The 2.0L TDI right now works for me. I really want to get my hands on a 1.9 ALH and put in in my 2001 Cherokee.

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
I can only hope that VW will have the wisdom and courtesy to tell us how many miles is "lifetime" for the timing belt on that engine, versus the engine mechanicals. I would not accept "lifetime" as the mean time to failure of the timing belt. For example, those of us who own the B5 TDI have decided that it is truly wisdom to change the auto transmission's "lifetime" fluid & filter every 100K or so.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
I am sure the gurus will figure this out based on their knowledge once a poor souls have a breakdown on the new unit once it is in vehicles.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
In VW terms, lifetime is anything greater than the warranty period, so don't too excited.
Or in VW owner terms, lifetime comes when a part fails and the 'lifetime' part has to be R&Rd also. A good example is the lifetime tranny fluid in the passats that will certainly get changed along with the failed torque converter.
Often times, passat owners pro-activey change out the fluid only to be reward with a failure not long after...

Last edited:

Toronto

TDI
2009 Jetta
Sure, it would be good news but somewhat contradicts the laws of physics (if engineers could do that why not increase hp/torque while cutting fuel consumption in half ;)). The shift from the 100hp PD to the 140hp CR did not come with no change in fuel consumption either. Somehow, fuel economy is being lost in this and that is the whole point of small diesels (at least to me).
I easily achieve more MPG then my friends 2006 jetta tdi ....but i will also leave him 5 cars behind if we were to race... wanna talk about engineering...

producing more powerful vehicles that consume less gas = VW

Watch VW announce that their new 180hp - 280trq engines has better fuel consumption then the current CR engines lollll insane

wolfskin

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Fabia Combi TDI
That's because the 2.0 isn't the replacement for the 1.9 in other markets... The job of being the "economy" option for a Golf, Beetle or Passat is now the 1.6 TDI's, while the 2.0 TDI is a more powerful, less economic option.
Exactly!

And to answer someone's question early in the thread: yes, I (and most Europeans) consider a 180hp engine in a Golf: massive overkill.

I drive an 80hp TDI and what I miss on the motorway is a 6th gear, not more power. I have not been able to find a climb on a motorway so far (Austria, northern Italy) that my car is not able to do at the posted speed limit. It will climb a 10% grade in 5th gear loaded up. With 80hp.
What on earth are people doing with 140 is beyond me, let alone 180...

If you want fuel economy, the 1.6TDI will bring that with a very satisfactory 105hp. But how many Amercians woudl go for that? A fraction of the fraction that go for diesel in the first place...

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
It's not the hp that climbs the hill, it's the torque.
How much torque does your 80 hp tdi make?

wolfskin

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Fabia Combi TDI
Max. torque is 195Nm, at 2200 rpm. At the usual motorway speed limit of 130kph I'm at 3000rpm, which is way over the peak torque "sweet" spot, which is why I'm complaining of not having a 6th gear.

Compare that to the torque curve of these 2.0TDI stump pullers. What's the point?

The 1.6TDI makes 250Nm over a range (1750-2500rpm off the top of my head). The 1.2TSI (105hp) makes 175Nm from 1500-4000rpm. Either of those is sufficient for a Golf.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
Depending on the car's weight, that amount of torque is sufficient for hill climbing...

Billion003

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf
This may be a good diesel engine for the larger VW vehicles. I would assume a smaller diesel would be available for the new, and lighter Golf, etc.

I hope a diesel Polo makes it to our shores soon.

andy7079

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan, 2014 Touareg
I hope the exhaust system on that engine makes its way over to the US. The DPF on the bottom is secured with a band clamp, meaning its separate from the oxidation catalyst on the top. This should allow most commercial US DPF cleaning services to clean the DPF.

steve_s

Veteran Member
Probably just like the "lifetime" fluids, keep it long enough or enough miles and it needs replaced, even chains need replaced.
Who does VW think they are fooling??? When the "lifetime" of the belt is over, so is the engine. I can hear it now "Mr. Smith, your belt has failed and it will cost you (five figures) to replace it. As an added feature of this service, you will receive a new engine." How about some realistic numbers for that lifetime? I've never seen a belt last 15 years/200K miles, but that is my current expectation from a vehicle.

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
http://www.contitech.de/pages/produkte/antriebsriemen/kfz-ersatz/werkstatt/faq_en.html

"The "lifetime belt" described in some press reports is not intended for retrofitting vehicles already on the market. This is because the modified timing belt also requires modified engine control components (camshafts, oval sprocket technology, pulleys, bearings, etc.). As a result, no retrofitting is possible here. However, for some time now there have been vehicles on the market for which the manufacturer does not provide any change recommendations. Instead, a test mode is required that allows a trained mechanic to decide on the replacement."

wolfskin

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Fabia Combi TDI
If you decide not to trust the engineering behind this, I'm sure your dealer/mecanic will be happy to replace the belt for you at any time you decide. There WILL be replacement parts/kits on the market.

Ted Hurst

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
If you want fuel economy, the 1.6TDI will bring that with a very satisfactory 105hp. But how many Amercians woudl go for that? A fraction of the fraction that go for diesel in the first place...
I'll be the fraction of the fraction. This is way more powerful than the 1985 Mazda GLC that I limped along till about 150,000 miles. I think that 1.5 Liter put out about 70 hp with a top speed of about 85mph with a tail wind.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
The problem is, due to certification costs, the only way to be the fraction of the fraction is to smuggle it into the country.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I'll be the fraction of the fraction. This is way more powerful than the 1985 Mazda GLC that I limped along till about 150,000 miles. I think that 1.5 Liter put out about 70 hp with a top speed of about 85mph with a tail wind.
Count me in for another fraction of a fraction. I've enjoyed 440k miles in a 52hp 1.6L Jetta, so a 105hp 1.6L TDI with literally more than double the output would be perfectly fine with me.

tdmIght?

TDI
none yet, considering 2012 jetta or 2012 passat
ok, so heres really the only important question for me....WHEN? - Has anyone read? - Is this for the fall of this year? i.e. next model year?

I am sitting on buying a new 2012 Passat/Jetta - but would / could hold off until this new engine comes in it. (even might take a jetta then) -

wolfskin

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Fabia Combi TDI
Count me in for another fraction of a fraction. I've enjoyed 440k miles in a 52hp 1.6L Jetta, so a 105hp 1.6L TDI with literally more than double the output would be perfectly fine with me.
That Jetta must have been substantially smaller than today's Jetta though. In any case, if that car satisfied your needs (which it must have, if you drove it for 440k miles :eek:), what you want right now is this:

http://www.skoda.de/index.php?e=348-9-1-3-1

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
A2 Jetta, and yes, it is overall smaller... but oddly enough, just as roomy inside for me... and I've gotten bigger since 1991!

It also has a bigger trunk than my 2004 Passat!