VW trucks heading stateside?

Dooglas

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
A: have you seen the roads in Mexico?
B: have you ever seen a Mexican in anything BUT a truck? (and no, I am not a racist, and FYI Mexico is a COUNTRY, not a race.... so pipe down)
Actually in Mexico City I see more Mexicans driving VWs than trucks - all the way from old VW Bug taxis to Pointers, Jettas and Passats. Now, in the countryside folks sure seem to like their Lobo (Ford F150). I'll give you that one ;).

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Hey, I was in Bristol just last Saturday. If I'd known about this, I would have at least tried to see them :)

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
The Caddy 7 passenger TDI is what I rented for two weeks on our trip to Germany. I got 36mpg with the 7spd DSG and it was a blast to drive.
I saw what they were pricing the various version at the Autostadt way back when and I thought ouch! Everything is high as a cat's back now though.
7 speed DSG... then it was a 105hp 1.6 TDI.
The Caddy is actually really affordable. It gives you a lot of room (but also a lot more hard plastic) at the price of a Golf.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
The Amarok is awesome, I saw lots in Argentina. Its bigger than a Ranger, a little smaller than a Dakota I think.
Dakota is a bit longer, but narrower and lower than Amarok. Ranger... Amarok is A LOT wider, even compared to the new world Ranger, which is a lot larger than the NA Ranger.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
The Sprinter doesn't really belong in a comparison here. That's a whole different vehicle. One that doesn't fit in a standard garage, even. This Caddy is like a Transit Connect or NV200 -- it's a small car FWD drivetrain with a box behind the front seats. The Sprinter is a plumber's work truck. The Caddy is for your local caterer or computer repair guy.
I see a lot of plumbers in Caddys here. And my mail gets delivered in a Caddy. The forester drives a 4motion Caddy. Families with many kids but not infinite financial resources drive passenger Caddys. (they are really good bang for the buck, if you don't mind a bit of hard plastic)

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
With regards to the Amarok, though......it's a tough market here for that kind of truck. The Honda Ridgeline was a niche vehicle that didn't sell all that well, and a VW would sell fewer than a Honda here.
The Ridgeline is a car-based, unibody pickup with a bit of a "consumer" vibe. The Amarok is a traditional body-on-frame pickup built for hard work. How are they the same kind of truck?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Probably how they are perceived and marketed. Besides, unibody commercial vehicles have existed for a long time, and can be just as tough as a full framed vehicle really. I think that comparison is an invalid one myself. To say that the Ridgeline is car based is a bit of a stretch. Like saying my T4 is Golf-based.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
On a side note the Ridgline is done for the next 2 1/2 years before the return on a newer chassis. Which....won't be new at that ppint. They say it'll be on the new TL or whatever they call it now.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
The Ridgeline is a car-based, unibody pickup with a bit of a "consumer" vibe. The Amarok is a traditional body-on-frame pickup built for hard work. How are they the same kind of truck?
As long as VW only offers the Amarok in the quad cab and fully loaded, it will attract the same poeple that have looked at and possibly bought a Ridgeline. VW does have a tough road ahead to get anyone that really uses and abuses a truck on a daily basis to look at the Amarok. It took Toyota several years and a few remodels to get anyone to start buying their large truck.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
VW could succeed by offering truck-only agencies, with a line of pickups, vans etc. But is that likely to happen?
I don't see that happening. VW does not have enough of a familiar name, except for those that still think of VW only as the beetle, to pull off a stand alone truck line. If Mann trucks were offered over here, than maybe they could use that connection.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
As long as VW only offers the Amarok in the quad cab and fully loaded, it will attract the same poeple that have looked at and possibly bought a Ridgeline. VW does have a tough road ahead to get anyone that really uses and abuses a truck on a daily basis to look at the Amarok. It took Toyota several years and a few remodels to get anyone to start buying their large truck.
Toyota has been pedaling its large truck under different names now since 1992. So more than several! And they still haven't convinced the hard core. That might never happen.

CRJSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
well the t100 was absolute crap. lol I remember more then one riding around with hate graffiti all over it.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
I hope the love for pickups in North America will continue to grow.
No need to have any kind of 'hope' here to achieve additional growth in pickup sales in North America. As long as the economy is not sinking like in 2008 pickup trucks are going to sell like hotcakes in these areas.

sportsguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle DSG TDI
I have a 2011 Tacoma - love the truck. That said, and actual TRUCK from VW here, with diesel, would see my Toyota gone in a heartbeat (of America?). And I'm talking an actual truck here...not a van...

Truck = any of various forms of vehicle for carrying goods and materials, usually consisting of a single self-propelled unit but also often composed of a trailer vehicle hauled by a tractor unit.

Van = a smaller boxlike vehicle that resembles a panel truck, often has double doors both at the rear and along the curb side, and that can be used as a truck, fitted with rows of seats, or equipped with living quarters for traveling and camping.

Say no to vans, and yes to trucks!

Unless said van comes complete with shag carpet, mag wheels and a great stereo...then it's OK! :)

...and, interestingly, it's more appropriate to keep on truckin' in a van, than in an actual truck, I'm told...

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Only thing that you're missing is the waterbed. Ooh baby

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Oh the days where schlepping around a bed full of water constituted a reasonable thing to do! :eek:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
At least two are already running

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
To summarize this thread: (1) the minimum useful stat for a pickup truck is the 1/2 category. Anything below that is a toy. (2) a 4x4 half ton starting price is $30,000. A two wheel drive truck is a toy. (3) putting a diesel engine in a toy is as useful as tits on a bull. (4) VW cannot compete on price or product in the truck market. (5) Vans are useful for waterbeds and shaggin.

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
To summarize this thread: (1) the minimum useful stat for a pickup truck is the 1/2 category. Anything below that is a toy. (2) a 4x4 half ton starting price is $30,000. A two wheel drive truck is a toy. (3) putting a diesel engine in a toy is as useful as tits on a bull. (4) VW cannot compete on price or product in the truck market. (5) Vans are useful for waterbeds and shaggin.
I lol'd :D