Rear LH Door won't unlock

kulwap

TDI
Jetta GLS, 2003, Reflex Silver
The rear LH door of my '03 TDI Jetta won't unlock. The lock post/knob indicator only comes up about 3/4 of the way no matter what I try. I even put a pair of pliers on the post and tried pulling it up manually, but that had no effect. The door seems to be in that "no man's land" when somebody tries to open the door at the same moment that it is being unlocked and the door won't open, or unlock until the door is locked and then unlocked again. (I tried this too and nothing works).

Anyway, the door won't unlock and I am out of ideas. Any suggestions? Is this covered by what is left of my warranty?

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Does this car have the "child lock"? I guess I'm a tad confused - can you unlock it with the fob or front controls?

kulwap

TDI
Yes, it does have the child lock which was/is active. It won't unlock at all with the FOB or the front controls. In all cases the lock post comes up 3/4 way, but it won't fully engage and unlock. That is why I tried to "manually" pull the lock post up the rest of the way with pliers to see if I could get it to engage, no luck with that though.

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
I would try to lock/unlock a bunch of times to see if it lets loose... if not you get to figure out a way of removing the door trim... chicken or egg style...

kulwap

TDI
Door Lock Recall

Turns out that there are some faulty clips on the lock and latch mechanisim. The dealer "said" that there was a recall on them and they fixed it for me. I asked if they fixed all the clips on all the doors (since it makes sense that there would be a similar problem on all the doors) and they "said" that the recall was only for the rear LH door that they fixed. Seems to me that the recall is only for those locks with an existing problem, and for the rest "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies.

Last edited: