Audi Allroad BHW TDI conversion.

Wing_man

TDI
Allroad BHW
This has been my ongoing project over the last few months, I'm currently driving the car, it's an absolute dream! Enjoy the pictures.

The donor car. 2005 Passat TDI, blown auto trans, Balance shaft delete
Alh oil pump mod, New turbo Cams and lobes, healthy little engine.

The project car, 2002 audi allroad 2.7TT 6spd from California.

And it begins...

Made sweet shop chair from Passat seat...

Modified front cross member from Passat, notice the front stabilizer mount.

Now the front cross member with added Passat radiator mounts.

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
Great work!

Anything that you would do differently if you had to do it again?

96cali

TDI
Passat
Very nice and thanks very much for sharing! That's my dream car right there. ;)

How did you handle the AC lines and air suspension? Could you have used any stock exhaust components instead of all that fab work?

Wing_man

TDI
Allroad BHW
Very nice and thanks very much for sharing! That's my dream car right there. ;)

How did you handle the AC lines and air suspension? Could you have used any stock exhaust components instead of all that fab work?
The stock Passat downpipe would have been okay, some fabrication is absolutely necessary if you want to re-use the original audi cat back system. I made a new downpipe that gave the transmission a lot of clearance, that way when ever I have to remove the transmission I don't need to bother with removing the downpipe first. :D

Scott02

Veteran Member
TDI
Too Many
Damn, I've been beaten!
Mine still looks like your "clean donor" pic...

Congrats!

Please be sure to report back mpg figures, as that's the reason for doing all this work, after all.

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
Passat engine bolts up easily to Audi trans?

Wing_man

TDI
Allroad BHW
Yeah, I believe the O1E transmissions will bolt up to the vw 4 Cyl diesels. It's just a matter of getting a transmission with proper gearing ratio's. The transmission I used is from a 1.9 European probably AFN tdi out of an a6 Quattro or something like that, transmission code is FTF... I had to swap out the original audi Allroad transmission cv flanges into this transmission, and replace my rear differential with one that had the same final drive as my FTF transmission... 4.11 final drive I believe it was.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Did you have to add what looks like a couple of 3/4" diameter tubes to the turbo crossover pipe? Was it something the Audi needed?

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Passat W8=>TDI swap, 4Motion Wagon, PD130(AVF) 6Speed Manual, 2006 Jetta MKIV PD(BEW) Wagon 5Speed Manual
Notice you have a Euro cluster (only KM/h). I do too. Mine came from the Euro AVF TDI donor car. Why do you have one? Just curious.

Looks like a sweet ride :)

Wing_man

TDI
Allroad BHW
Did you have to add what looks like a couple of 3/4" diameter tubes to the turbo crossover pipe? Was it something the Audi needed?
Yes, that's how I mounted the lower part of the Passat rad. The bottom part of the Audi rad support needs to be cut in order to fit the crossover pipe... I suppose you could also just add an after market intercooler pipe and leave the front end as-is... Mind you the way I did it looks more original.

jonlowe

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon, 5 speed conversion, GBSM
How's the power? The all road is about 600 lbs heavier than the Passat, according to the figures I've found. Does the engine have a tune?

Did you get your climate control electrical issues sorted out?

What did you have to do to the fuel system to work with diesel fuel?

I'm very impressed.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Wing_man

TDI
Allroad BHW
How's the power? The all road is about 600 lbs heavier than the Passat, according to the figures I've found. Does the engine have a tune?

Did you get your climate control electrical issues sorted out?

What did you have to do to the fuel system to work with diesel fuel?

I'm very impressed.

It has a stage 2 tune, and I think the 6spd really helps to pep it up. It feels like it's quicker than the passat.
I've been working midnights so I haven't really been working on the car at all, I've been getting some pretty good idea's on possible reasons why the air conditionning and the cruise control wouldn't be working. Thanks vwztips, and other's who have given me their input...
Aside from emptying out and flushing the fuel tank, the only other thing that's necessary is to splice a ''T'' fitting into each of the Feed and Return line, then link them together, that way the extra pressure from the gasser pump can bypass the engine and return to the fuel tank.

96cali

TDI
Passat
The stock Passat downpipe would have been okay, some fabrication is absolutely necessary if you want to re-use the original audi cat back system. I made a new downpipe that gave the transmission a lot of clearance, that way when ever I have to remove the transmission I don't need to bother with removing the downpipe first. :D
Dang, you make this look easy Wingman. A few more questions if you don't mind:
- does the Passat front cross member bolt right up to the Allroad? I've disassembled the front end of my C5 A6 enough to be familiar but never my 04 Passat (which is identical to your donor btw).
- Is the TDI radiator mounted to the Allroad plastic carrier or is it permanently mounted to the modified metal cross member? We're you able to reuse the existing AC and coolant hoses?
- were there significant electrical challenges?
- did you keep the air suspension or go with struts instead?

Thanks for your contribution to the forum Wingman!

Wing_man

TDI
Allroad BHW
Dang, you make this look easy Wingman. A few more questions if you don't mind:
- does the Passat front cross member bolt right up to the Allroad? I've disassembled the front end of my C5 A6 enough to be familiar but never my 04 Passat (which is identical to your donor btw).
- Is the TDI radiator mounted to the Allroad plastic carrier or is it permanently mounted to the modified metal cross member? We're you able to reuse the existing AC and coolant hoses?
- were there significant electrical challenges?
- did you keep the air suspension or go with struts instead?

Thanks for your contribution to the forum Wingman!
Passat front cross memeber will bolt up.
-You will need to either remove the passat front crossmember's tow hook; or cut out the audi's threaded tow hook recepticle in order to have the passat crossmember sit flush with the audi's frame. (trial and error until it fits really)
-The passat rad is supported the passat crossmember, and held in at the top with stock audi plastic clips on audi rad mount. Really wish I had taken more pictures, it's difficult to word.
-Since it's the passat rad, and a/c compressor, I've used all passat coolant/boost/power steering/air conditionning lines.
-I kept the original air bag suspension, no issues yet '' knock on wood ''.

jonlowe

Veteran Member
TDI
Have you driven it enough to get any mileage figures? I'd suspect it would get in the low 30mpg range. My 2005 Passat wagon with a 5speed and stage 2 tune gets between 35-40mpg.

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Passat W8=>TDI swap, 4Motion Wagon, PD130(AVF) 6Speed Manual, 2006 Jetta MKIV PD(BEW) Wagon 5Speed Manual
Thanks, It's not euro, I'm canadian KM/H haha.
I am Canadian too but normally our clusters have KM/h AND MPH (in fact I think technically they have to). I am pretty sure that is a Euro cluster!

Wing_man

TDI
Allroad BHW
I am Canadian too but normally our clusters have KM/h AND MPH (in fact I think technically they have to). I am pretty sure that is a Euro cluster!
I hadn't realised, I guess the previous owner was a ''Euro Enthusiast''. Freebie!

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
Um that's false. Canada only requires to have km/h on our speedometers. Every vehicle I currently drive / ride has a km/h only speedometer. That's from my 1982 Volkswagen Cabriolet to my 2013 BMW 650 GS Sertao. Perhaps if you drive a Ford / Dodge / Chrysler you might see MPH... but those aren't real cars so... :rolleyes:

My former 2001 Allroad had the exact same cluster - no MPH.

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
Hmm. My mistake I guess. Both the Jetta and Passat in my signature have KM/h on the outer track and MPH on the inner track (the Passat W8 cluster was swapped for the Euro cluster than matched the engine and it is only Km/h).

This Wikipedia page says a Canadian speedometer is as described above (in the little box with the photo on the right half way down the page) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilometres_per_hour

I stand corrected though!

Sorry for the hijack, back to your Allroad TDI!

Wing_man

TDI
Allroad BHW
Yes lol, back to the Allroad!
I got the cruise control to work tonight... The original BHW harness did not have a wire coming out of pin #43 ( Clutch )... Obviously it used to be an automatic... That's why I couldn't find the wire.
I took the ECM connector apart, and used a connector from an unused pin of the T15 Passat connectors to re-pin no.43 of the ECM harness. Connected that to the original Audi clutch wire and Bingo! Man I was so happy.. Driving on the hi-way I would instinctively hit the cruise control button... Clearly nothing would happen. This was absolutely infuriating.

Here are some pics of the wiring, The random purple wire that fixed the cruise control, goes from the ECM connector to the Clutch wire at the fuse box connection area.

jonlowe

Veteran Member
TDI
Keep the info coming Wing_man. I'm very interested in this swap.
Did the Passat engine mounts bolt right in or did you have to change something?

jonlowe

Veteran Member
TDI
Did you get the A/C figured out? I spent some time today staring at wiring diagrams for the allroad and the Passat. From what I can tell, there are three connections from the Motronic unit on the 2.7t to its climate control, and only two from the Passat ECU to the climate control. On the allroad side, terminals 40, 41 and 37 of the Motronic connect to A7, C15, and A2 respectively on the E87, A/C control head.

On the Passat side, ECU connections T94/85 and T94/50 connect to T12/2 and T16b/12 on the Climatronic, J255 unit. Of course there is no indication of what any of the wires/connections actually do.

I'm going to look at the other engine variants of the Passat and see if I can see any similarities.

EDIT: I did find that on the Passat Climatronic, pin T12/2 is "RPM increase" and T16b/12 is "Engine electronics, bi-directional". I can't find a similar pinout for the allroad.

Jon

Last edited:

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
if I am not mistaken the Passat uses a compressor without a clutch, and the Allroad uses a compressor with a clutch.

jonlowe

Veteran Member
TDI
if I am not mistaken the Passat uses a compressor without a clutch, and the Allroad uses a compressor with a clutch.
ELSA and ETKA both show that the Passat has a clutch on the compressor. My 2005 certainly has one. I've never seen a auto AC compressor without one; I don't know how you'd shut off the AC otherwise.

Jon