2006 BRM EGR cooler fix

slidewayz

TDI
06 Jetta TDI
Hey guys,
There are a bunch of different posts about fixes, deletes, and replacements - but from searching and reading a ton of different posts - I need a much more definitive answer.. and I believe it will help a lot of others in the future who will develop this common problem.

First off - the EGR flapper motor died so I opened that up and flipped the plastic gear that was broken, superglued it together and fixed that issue.

Now I have the hissing sound coming from the EGR cooler.
Since I do not live in Cali - I need a cheap fix for this EGR cooler that doesn't take a lot of time.

** Now my question is - If I was to weld the EGR cooler valve open halfway would there be ANY issues - performance, mileage, engine codes that would come up because of this?
Do I need one of those VAGcom tuners if I choose to do this?
Or is it easier to delete the whole deal?

I'm trying to get a general consensus on what is easiest, cheapest and best to get rid of these emissions crap related expenses.

Please advise,
Thanks in advance.

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
Check your inbox.

Hey guys,
There are a bunch of different posts about fixes, deletes, and replacements - but from searching and reading a ton of different posts - I need a much more definitive answer.. and I believe it will help a lot of others in the future who will develop this common problem.

First off - the EGR flapper motor died so I opened that up and flipped the plastic gear that was broken, superglued it together and fixed that issue.

Now I have the hissing sound coming from the EGR cooler.
Since I do not live in Cali - I need a cheap fix for this EGR cooler that doesn't take a lot of time.

** Now my question is - If I was to weld the EGR cooler valve open halfway would there be ANY issues - performance, mileage, engine codes that would come up because of this?
Do I need one of those VAGcom tuners if I choose to do this?
Or is it easier to delete the whole deal?

I'm trying to get a general consensus on what is easiest, cheapest and best to get rid of these emissions crap related expenses.

Please advise,
Thanks in advance.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Welding open the EGR port -- even partially -- is out of the question, as it will constantly flood the intake with exhaust. And I believe you'll even have difficulty keeping the engine running when cold. There are better ways to deal with this.:cool:

slidewayz

TDI
06 Jetta TDI
Thanks.. so welding is out of the question then. It looks like the best option will be to get a EGR delete kit and get it tuned so the check engine light stays off.

Does anyone have access to a detailed assembly picture of the EGR area?

trucheli

TDI
2006 Jetta 1.9 TDI, DSG,
Welding open the EGR port -- even partially -- is out of the question, as it will constantly flood the intake with exhaust. And I believe you'll even have difficulty keeping the engine running when cold. There are better ways to deal with this.:cool:
what if you weld it close so you don't have to take the EGR cooler out ( lot of work ) and buy that EGR Block Off Plate Kit.
Right now I'm getting bad mileage because of leaking EGR, will welding it close and EGR functionality turned off with the tuning will fix that problem?
thank you

2footbraker

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, 01 Golf
I think he's asking about welding the cooler flap valve, not the actual egr valve. I don't see why you couldn't just weld it open. I'm not sure when it is actually open, probably just when the egr valve opens? So you'd just be running the coolant a bit hotter than normal.

Barnitz

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I deleted my EGR Cooler when it failed. It is a dirty job, but can be done relatively quickly with the help of a sawz-all.

Two block off plates and a 90* PCV bend later and its gone. You WILL get a CEL, but any tuner can tune that out. (And you might as well get a tune while you're at it. Well worth it).

Remember, this is for 'off road' use only though. ;)

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
What is the actual MPG gain resulting from an EGR delete and accompanying tune that is aimed at increasing the efficiency.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Nothing, and in some cases, worsened fuel consumption has been reported.

The EGR system helps the engine to warm up faster. In cold climates, it helps the engine reach operating temperature at all - or helps the engine stay closer (warmer) to normal operating temperature as opposed to operating considerably below it.

Spike_africa

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI/w DSG
Deleting the EGR is not a power or MPG mod. It will keep the intake track much cleaner, the engine will not warm up as fast, and the emissions will of course be higher. If this was a performance diesel application. I would get rid of it on my car. Being that even with a cam swap, tune, and exhaust these cars might make 150hp I would only delete the EGR if it fails. But that is my opinion at least.

Joe333x

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5-speed
My EGR is giving me issues so right now it is just unplugged. So I have the cel on. Is it possible to tune it out with vagcom and just leave it unplugged or would it have to be deleted and pro tuned. This is for an off road car.

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Special Edition
The cost of replacing the egr cooler with a brand new unit is almost identical to the cost of an EGR delete tune (figure $190 for the Flash tool and $99 for the tune itself).
If you want you can also rent the tool for $50 but then if you want to make a change you will need to re-rent... not a great option IMO.

Joe333x

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5-speed
I own a vagcom hex+can cable. is there a way to use it to disable the egr? I know there is on older models.

LuvDaDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI - 355,000miles - rip
thanks for starting the thread; not to kidnapp or anything, I was going to weld shut the leaking flapper on my EGR this weekend. Good idea? Bad idea? It is leaking something terrible and I have had enough of the hissing and exhaust smell. Anybody have any thoughts?

artificer

TDI
2006 Jetta 5spd
The cost of replacing the egr cooler with a brand new unit is almost identical to the cost of an EGR delete tune (figure $190 for the Flash tool and $99 for the tune itself).
If you want you can also rent the tool for $50 but then if you want to make a change you will need to re-rent... not a great option IMO.
... for the first replacement. I'm on the second leaking EGR valve, so is this going to happen every 90,000 miles? If I had gone with the delete for the first one, I wouldn't be out more money now.

Michael

Sand Bag

TDI
'06 Silver Jetta TDI manual & '11 Audi Q7 S-Line V6 TDI
EGR Delete/Replace

On my previous '06 I deleted the EGR system with block plates, a 90 degree elbow for the cooling lines and a plug for the vaccum. I did find afterwards that you could replace the bushing that fails and keep your EGR system. Luckly I didn't hack mine apart to remove it (saw-zall). I do have some information on all the above but the I'm trying to recall the size of the bushing and what it was made from. Not sure if anyone in this forum is making them or has them handy.

As for performance I did notice the turbo boost a little more (minimal) but I also noticed the prolonged time it took the engine to warm up. PM me if you would like any information I may have.

Waiting for my EGR to fail on the new '06 I'm driving now...:cool:

Spike_africa

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI/w DSG
My cooler has the classic leaking coolant problem right now. It has gotten worse and worse over the last 3 weeks. I already have a tune on mine from TDtuning.com and don't want to spend whatever on pulling the ECU and shipping it back out again to him plus the cost of whatever to change the tune.

Do we know of any where with cheap EGR coolers? I have been looking and it seems like the cheapest option is just to delete it. I have no emissions testing so this is an option for me. I don't mind the longer warm up's here in FL that isn't an issue.

Where is everyone getting their delete kits from for the BRM?

Also I have pulled the skid plate and looked I can't tell if the metal cooling housing is cracked, or the hoses are ripped yet. I will put it up on jackstands again this saturday and look it over. Maybe I will be lucky and it will just be a hose.

Barnitz

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Leaking coolant, or exhaust gases?

If it's leaking coolant, you should just be able to replace the hoses.

If it's leaking gases you will hear a hissing noise as well as see a build up of soot on the back of the engine over time.

EGR Coolers are pretty expensive everywhere I have seen them. There is talk about replacing the bushing, but I have never really looked into it.

Deleting it is an option 'for off road use only'. Talking about deletions here is not generally accepted, and you probably wont find a good 'guide' on it here.

Things needed for a delete:
2 block-off plates (idParts sells them, as well as other vendors, or make your own)
a 90 degree pvc or brass elbow. Cant remember it's 3/4" or 1/2". It's used to connect the two coolant hoses. You will also need two hose clamps to hold them on.

I think that is it parts wise.. getting it out is a PITA. You have to unbolt the axle from the trans to get it out of the way, as well as remove the turbo oil feed tube/stand. Clamp the two hoses before you take them off so you don't lose all your coolant. It's a tight fit to get down!

N.CaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Just took mine out and it is a PITA but did not have to unbolt the axle or remove the oil feed tube. Did remove the exhaust system from the turbo down so I had room. Used a 3/4" 90 degree pvc elbow for the water line hookup. I broke the stud to going into the intake manifold so spray with liquid wrench before you start. Lucky to get it our without removing alot more.

Spike_africa

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI/w DSG
From what I gather, cutting into two pieces or more makes it easy to remove. I have a saw so its easy for me to cut it up. Mine is leaking coolant badly. Wasn't aware you can replace the hoses with it in place. I have tried to find some better pictures of the unit and where the hoses go etc.. just haven't found what I need to understand the mounting of it better.

bobthefarmer

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Mk 5 192K miles; 2012 Car of the Year, Passat Tdi SE+Nav in blue nightgown, shod in 18 inch heels
The best idea is to install a manufactured Aluminum-Copper or Oil-Lite Bushing. There is a nice thread on EGR Hissing that has dimensions. I did mine for under $100 complete and I cleaned out my inlet manifold to boot. Everything works fine after that. It sounds great, performs well, and best of all my car does not stink at idle. The welding the flapper is not a good solution. My car warms from cold to 190F in three miles. With the EGR delete I bet it would be 5 or 6 plus miles. That is significant. Bonus, less NO (Nitric-oxide) production by far. We should be environmentally sensitive if we are to be faithful Diesel operators who love their torque and don't drive some pansy electric wanna-be Hybrid.

See: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=234986&highlight=EGR+Hissing many have these bushings for sale on this forum. It is a chore, but well worth it for little expense (compared to about 7-900 for a replacement that will go bad again)

Last edited:

Big Rat

TDI
2006 Jetta
It just so happens I am trying to make the decision on "replace or delete" as we speak. I just removed my turbo so I just so happen to have some very easy access to pics of the cooler and its placement. If anyone wants more pics, just ask. The car is still up in the air for the moment and with all this stuff out of the way, gettin pics is really easy.

Pic 1 shot through area where exhaust runs between front cross member/sub frame and exhaust tunnel/lower firewall area

Pic 2 shot from under engine

Pic 3 shot standing while crying about the turbo!

Lmannyr

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 VW Jetta TDI BRM Manual
So what exactly is needed to repair the leak? Egr valve? Egr cooler? Both? Anything else? Thanks.

digi923

TDI
06 Jetta
Sorry to bring up an old thread but my EGR cooler has took a crap again and its only been about 40,000 miles sense it was replaced. The dealer wants $1,200
to replace it each time and I think its time to make it an off road vehicle.
I have a few questions though.
1) Can I just install the blocking plates and keep the cooler in place?
2) Where is a good place to find the parts needed for the job.