95 Golf TD to TDI conversion

bennyandtash

TDI
87 cabrio red
Just got finished dropping some TDI pistons and head into the 1.9 block of my 95 Golf. After some starter and battery trouble (another post) I got it running. I have a question for anyone who might be in the "know" about the old style non-electronic injection pumps... How do you turn down the amount of fuel injected into the cylinders? I remember that I was able to do it with my old 1.6td, but can't remember now. Currently there is a ton of blue smoke coming out of the exhaust, and it smells like raw fuel. I know that several websites that I have seen have promoted the idea of using the older style injection pump, but they don't give any info in terms of what modifications need to be made in order to decrease the amount of fuel output.
Thanks in advance!

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Did you check the piston-to-head clearance? I don't think the TD engine has the same thickness of head gasket as the TDI.

Did you set the injection timing correctly, using the dial gauge?

What injectors are you using? With that combination, you have to use the biggest TDI injector nozzles you can find, because the pump doesn't deliver as much pressure. Your problem might actually involve not enough fuel, rather than too much.

I suspect timing/compression/duration issues, not fuel quantity. The governor sets the quantity to whatever it takes to keep the engine going. If the idle speed is okay, then the quantity is correctly being automatically controlled by the governor.

bennyandtash

TDI
87 cabrio red
I used a two hole tdi gasket. Upon comparing both TD and TDI gaskets, could not ascertain a visible difference between the two.

I don't have a dial gauge, so used the timing marks on the pump.

I wasn't aware that I would have to use bigger injection nozzles! I am using the stock nozzles for the 98.5tdi with manual transmission. Would you recommend that I try to find an upsize injector set, and if so, what from?

In regards to timing/compression/duration issues, do you have any suggestions? I have tons of compression -enough to blow a set of loose injectors out of the engine (never ask neighbours for help!). Duration... will have to do more investigation in that arena. I knew this would be difficult!

not fuel quantity. The governor sets the quantity to whatever it takes to keep the engine going. If the idle speed is okay, then the quantity is correctly being automatically controlled by the governor.