EGR Issues

mwhite1206

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI
I was having issues with my '06 BRM going into limp mode and suspected the cause to be the EGR valve. I removed it and verified that it was not working properly and after some tinkering discovered that if I closed the valve and installed it but left it unplugged the car seemed to run fine. Assuming the EGR was the issue I ordered a new one and installed it tonight. Problem now is that it still runs fine with the EGR unplugged but continues to go into limp mode as soon as the EGR is plugged in. I'm now thoroughly confused. Anyone have any ideas on where to go from here?

mwhite1206

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI
I ran codes before I switched the EGR valve out, maybe even before I cleaned it but this is what I found.
1.) 000257 - Mass Air Flow Sensor - P0101 Implausible Signal
2.) 000833 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) - P0341 Implausible Signal - Intermittent
3.) 001027 - EGR Valve (N18) - P0403 Malfunction - Intermittent
4.) Various other faults in cent. elect., digital radio, airbags, driver door, central conv., passenger door, radio and aux heater.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16787/P0403/001027

You could well have a wiring harness problem. Check the section that runs parallel to the starter. Unwrap it and spread the wires apart.
Does the insulation look chafed?

The EGR fault could be causing the MAF implausible reading fault. The cam sensor fault could also be due to wiring harness deterioration...or just a bad sensor. Try reading group 4 of the engine measuring blocks and see the the far right field to see what it says. (0.0kw or?)
I assume that you have VCDS, yes?

Try pulling the EGR valve out of the intake and, with the engine off, key on, run the "basic settings" (pull down menu) test to cycle the valve to see how it moves or if it moves.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Sounds like an engine harness problem to me. Just a guess, though. I'd want to try and eliminate everything else first. Although the MAF part has nothing to do with that harness, so you may indeed have an EGR problem by itself.