Rota Grids not lowered?

Dieselspool

TDI
2001 ALH Jetta
I like the way Rota Grids look on the Jetta, but all I can find are ones that are dropped with them fitted. I also saw a video, of questionable credibility, made by somebody with a funky accent in his backyard, saying you needed to be lowered and on coils to fit the 18x9.5’s. If I ever lower it’ll be maybe .5”, I like my oil pan! so does anyone know if I can fit them on a standard ride height mk4 Jetta and the spacers, etc. needed.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Seems to me that larger wider tires would be more difficult to fit with the car lowered than at standard (OEM) ride height.

Good luck,

PH

V-DubLuv

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf Tdi
You can do it but you'll need to run stretched tires or else you're going to eat your fenders on bumps. Stretched tires on a stock height car will look terrible. Wouldn't recommend spacers as they'll find a way to cause vibration and shaking in the front end, get the correct offset wheels and do it the right way.

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
Dieselspool, you're probably looking for fitment advice. This isn't really the forum for that. VWVortex has fitment threads with wheel, tire and drop figures listed. With that out of the way, I would say that 18x9.5 is a fairly large wheel to run on a MKIV, but doable. It wouldn't look right at stock height. You will need to drop the car quite a bit, run a stretched tire, some camber and roll your fenders. With all that, it will still rub on bumps and going lock to lock with the steering wheel. That's more of a stance wheel spec. It's not the right wheel for stock height or even a 0.5 inch drop. 17x8 or 18x8 with a 2 inch drop would be nicer and give you some clearance. You can invest in a skidplate, not a stop sign, because that's a splash shield. I mean an actual skidplate. If you can't drop the car, that wheel spec will look goofy on the car. Try 18x7.5 with a mild 2 inch drop if you must run an 18. You basically don't want to run an aggressive offset or wheel spec without slamming your car and making it impractical, is my basic point. Conservative wheel - conservative stance, but a practical car. Aggressive wheel - aggressive stance, but an impractical car.