Beep Beep!

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
I'm trouble shooting the horns on an 04 Beetle. I've used the trouble shooting guide with NO JOY!

What I've done so far.
1) tested horns. Both work.
2). Checked fuse 40. It's good.
3) swapped out relay 100 and 53. Known good.

Horns not working correctly?

If they sound weak or they have no sound it's time to replace them.

This guide will help you quickly figure out what is wrong, and show you how to fix it.

Option A
You can quickly check your horn by running a positive and negative jumper wire from your battery to your horn to see if it will work when given direct power. If it works then follow the
troubleshooting guide below. If your horn does not work with direct power to it them you will need to replace your horn.
(90% of the time, this is the problem)

Option B

Step 1

-If you have a multimeter, disconnect the plugs on the horns and have a friend push on the steering wheel as if they were trying to activate the horn (note: ignition switch must be on). If you have 12V at the horn connector then discontinue diagnosis, your horns are bad.

If you are not getting any voltage then your horn relay has gone bad. Replace horn relay and re-check horns.

Step 2

-Check Fuse #40
Fuse diagram here

-If the fuse is good continue to Step 3.
-If the fuse is bad, replace and recheck the horn.

Step 3
-Turn the key to the on position, but do not start the car.

-Check windshield wipers. If windshield wipers are not working your ignition switch is probably bad. Replace if necesarry.
-If wipers are working go to Step 4

Step 4
(This assumes you have good hearing)
With the key still in the on position, try to activate the horn. Do you hear a faint electrical clicking sound, (horn relay), when you push on the steering wheel?

If you hear a clicking sound go to Step 4a.
If you do not hear a clicking sound go to Step 4b.

Step 4a
If you do hear that clicking sound, it means that your clockspring is working correctly, and your horn relay is PROBABLY working correctly, but new relays are available here.

Step 4b.
If you don't hear any electrical clicking sound then your clock spring is bad, or it has a loose connection.

Thanks,
dweisel

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Which of the 'too many ALH Beetles!' is it? :)

Did you hear the relay clicking when you press the steering wheel?

Did you check if there is power to the horn when someone presses the steering wheel?

Did you check for continuity from the horn ground wire to the battery negative post?

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
Which of the 'too many ALH Beetles!' is it?
It's an 04 PD BEETLE
Did you hear the relay clicking when you press the steering wheel?
I have the steering wheel off right now. When I short across the two horn wires the relay does click. I guess I need to put the metal airbag bracket back on and see if the relay still clicks when I push on the bracket and the contacts touch. If not then that would mean the clock spring is bad

Did you check if there is power to the horn when someone presses the steering wheel?
No, but I will

Did you check for continuity from the horn ground wire to the battery?
No,but I will

Appreciate your input.

thanks, dweisel

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Isn’t there also a ground on the steering column?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I've heard the Asian engineers make jokes about the VW wiring, so many grounds. And they still cause issue. My SO has used Hondas for more than 20 years, never a wire problem. Not counting the excess grease thing in a couple of the relays.

Not that I enjoy driving those things, her current SUV handles like a golf cart.