Need a Skilled TDI mechanic SANTA ANA CA

BeetlePD

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle 2005
Not just a general VW mechanic but Pump Deusse TDI expert that can remove turbo & seal-off the turbo oil supply (no air intake or air filter).

Thank you :)

BTW someone mentioned emissions. The car is registered in Pennsylvania and will eventually return (June) where diesel is exempt. The politicians don’t seem to care about pollution (unless it’s gasoline car)

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Any mechanic that does that for you is liable for prosecution for tampering with emissions equipment. You may find it hard to find anyone to put their livelihood at risk for you.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Federal law and still liable. Would you put your and your families livelihood at risk for someone else's desire to have an illegal setup? Most people wouldn't.

BeetlePD

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle 2005
No federal law exists against removing a turbo (just wasted an hour verifying). Eforcement is left to the 50 State legislatures, and my Pennsylvania legislature specifically exempts diesel cars from smog inspection. They don’t care (like a lot of midwest states)

No matter. I realized today it wouldn’t work anyway. The exhaust would not be connected to the muffler, so it would be very loud.

Oh well. I’ll just drive with the broken turbo.

Last edited:

BeetlePD

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle 2005
Cars are appliances. They have no more feelings than your refrigerator or oven or television. When those die, I don’t cry about it..... just go buy a new appliance.

I will be replacing this 2005 Beetle with newer 2010-15 model (hopefully Used TDIs still available). If not then a BMW Inline 6 diesel.

Last edited:

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
The need for a mechanic in Orange County CA still exists to fix the turbo.
Well, OK.
Here are the guys from our trusted list linked above.
The list is old, and if these guys haven't moved out of Cali by now...
well, here's to hoping one of them answers the phone for ya!
Better yet, if you're not disabled, or really freaking old,
buy some tools and do some reading here, and put your new turbo on yourself.
(To clarify, nobody is going to "fix" your turbo - they're going to replace it)
Save probably $800 that way. Turbo replacement labor should be no more that $700ish IMO.

EF1 Motorsports
2675 Dawson Street
Signal Hill, CA 90755
(562) 424-3378 Ask for Fabrizio

Whittier, CA 90605
562-946-9000
wrmltd@pacbell.net
www.vwtdionly.com (http://www.vwtdionly.com/)
Timing Belts and all general maintenance
562-201-5868
biochoppers@yahoo.com

Monday - Friday
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Saturday
8:00 am - 3:00 pm
Details from Google Maps
16101 Construction Cir W suite d, Irvine, CA 92606
+1 949-300-5535
www.mobilexautosalon.com

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
VW dealer wants $3000 which is nuts. No car is worth investing that much (especially at 15 years old).
No one should be going to a VW dealership after the warranty period. There are lots of independent VW-Audi shops, many of them manned by mechanics who used to work at dealerships but got tired of the BS. When you find a good one, post the details on the "Recommended TDI Mechanics" thread.

cowgirl007

TDI
2003 Jetta GL 143k miles Original Owner
Wild Rose Motors is gone. Leonard retired. Auto Clinic in Irvine changed hands, doesn't do TDIs anymore. They recommended European Auto in Lake Forest who referred me to Norm Reeves dealer service and the number for Scott Russell is no longer valid. my car is at the dealership in Santa Ana now and they're quoting me $6,500 to rebuild the injector pump.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Wild Rose Motors is gone. Leonard retired. Auto Clinic in Irvine changed hands, doesn't do TDIs anymore. They recommended European Auto in Lake Forest who referred me to Norm Reeves dealer service and the number for Scott Russell is no longer valid. my car is at the dealership in Santa Ana now and they're quoting me $6,500 to rebuild the injector pump.
There are used IPs frequently available for $200-$300, even 11mm ones. I've had pretty good luck with them.

Giles in Ontario has been strongly recommended to me by my mechanic. He was shipping one of his IPs to Giles and it made sense to send mine at the same time. Not sure when it will get back but I don't need it right now. I was told that he charged $1000 Canadian, so about $780 US at the current exchange rate. Once you get it back, you'll need someone with VCDS to help you install it correctly.
https://www.performancediesel.ca/injection-pump-rebuild-and-calibration/

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
That’s crazy. Kerma has 11mm pumps for $1500. Rockauto is out of stock.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
No federal law exists against removing a turbo (just wasted an hour verifying). Eforcement is left to the 50 State legislatures, and my Pennsylvania legislature specifically exempts diesel cars from smog inspection. They don’t care (like a lot of midwest states)

No matter. I realized today it wouldn’t work anyway. The exhaust would not be connected to the muffler, so it would be very loud.

Oh well. I’ll just drive with the broken turbo.
Even if you could handle the noise, I believe the manifold (in any car) takes the exhaust flow away from the cylinder head in a way that provides a proper rate to disperse the exhaust. If you don't have it, it actually reduces power and I think it allows the exhaust valve uneven cooling. If you look at funny cars on the race track, they still use headers of some kind to direct the flow.

cowgirl007

TDI
2003 Jetta GL 143k miles Original Owner
In case anyone runs across this post on google, I finally found a good TDI mechanic in Orange County. Try SMS European in Fountain Valley. They were able to reseal the pump for about $400. I’ll be going there for a timing belt change and all my repairs from now on.