what does the hammer mod do?

evanbatterman

TDI
1997 passat tdi, 1996 passat tdi
I recently bought some chips for my b 4 passat tdi, and someone told me to do the hammer mod, but I cant find any thread. could someone explain what it does and how it works?

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
The hammer mod is a way of by moving the top of the injection pump (to the left or to the right) in order to increase or decrease the amount of fuel the injection pump will out put.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Overfuelin5spd said:
Does Robert Bosch know about people hitting his pump with a hammer??
Tap tap tap, not hit hit hit.

Overfuelin5spd

troll, banned
TDI
03 5spd
I read the Ve pump manual from Bosch, no where in it does it state
" If the computer cannot automatically make the adjustments on its own you must hit it with a CLAW hammer."

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Overfuelin5spd said:
" If the computer cannot automatically make the adjustments on its own you must hit it with a CLAW hammer."
Why would the pump manual take into account those running larger than factory nozzles in certain specific situations? :confused: (there are a lot of things that aren't in any manual)

Got Bearings?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
Overfuelin5spd said:
Corporal, would you turn to the page in this book that says where the enlisted men's mess hall is?

Lt. Kaffee, that's not in the book, sir.

I don't understand, how did you know where the enlisted men's mess hall was if it's not in this book?

I guess I just followed the crowd at chow time, sir.

No more questions.

FlashT

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 NB - sold
How pronounced is the effect of this modification (if larger diameter injectors are the only variable)? Also, if the pump is adjusted too much in either direction, would the integrity of the pump be compromised? How would one go about measuring the distance(either left or right) that it needed to be tapped?

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
FlashT said:
How pronounced is the effect of this modification (if larger diameter injectors are the only variable)? Also, if the pump is adjusted too much in either direction, would the integrity of the pump be compromised? How would one go about measuring the distance(either left or right) that it needed to be tapped?
The effect is very pronounced. Get it too low (like below 1), and the pump can outrun itself (or so I've heard). It usually is used to adjust the IQ where you want it so smoke and drivability are both manageable. You can only change the IQ so much with adaptation in VCDS, this helps go further should you need to based on your current, and non stock, hardware. You measure the distance by watching the IQ change in VCDS preferably on a laptop perched up in the engine bay as you gently tap with a soft mallet, or even prop a piece of wood on the pump head. It's very easy, you just need the special triangle bit to loosen that one bolt.

Got Bearings? said:
Corporal, would you turn to the page in this book that says where the enlisted men's mess hall is?

I don't understand, how did you know where the enlisted men's mess hall was if it's not in this book?

No more questions.
Precisely my thoughts.

Last edited:

FlashT

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 NB - sold
farfromovin,

You have answered all my questions and more.

All the best

evanbatterman

TDI
1997 passat tdi, 1996 passat tdi
wow i left this thread for two weaks, and It has truly flourished, at first I forgot about it and came back by accident and now I am very interested in performing the hammer mod. thanks guys :)

mech644

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '14 Touareg
Depends on what the effect desired is. Its been discussed ad nauseum in untold # of threads. Search and ye shall find.

steffen707

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta GLS TDI

No more questions.
LMAO, I can't remember what movie that's from.

And while I know there are a hundred hammer mod threads, I brought this one back from the dead cuz I liked the quote, and while its back on top of the list I figured i would ask my hammer mod question here, than a possible more relevant thread.

But I was wondering, how many times does a person do the hammer mod, that they end up screwing up the seal inside the pump, and have to replace it. I've read some threads like http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=229965&page=3 and http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=2781142#post2781142

and I know that vag-com can adjust the IQ some, but for bigger adjustments you have to do the hammer mod. I havn't got mine checked with vag-com yet, but want to know the risks involved if does need to be adjusted.

Last edited:

JERMS

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI auto *sold*, 2012 Jetta SE 5spd w/convenience&sunroof
In order to adjust the IQ, you WILL need the triangle pump socket. Trust me, there is no way to loosen that tight little SOB without screwing up the head of the bolt or the top of the injection pump.

chops85

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
One of the previous owners cut a slit in the triangle bolt so it can be loosened with a flat head screwdriver. I'll post a pic as soon as I find my camera.

JERMS

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI auto *sold*, 2012 Jetta SE 5spd w/convenience&sunroof
Interesting, although I don't think that would have worked in my case, my bolt was super tight.

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS silver
I never had to loosen the triangle bolt, just the 3 torx. A block of wood used and a small hammer tapping while the engine idling w vag com, I was able to see small changes which lead to the IQ I wanted. Only time I had a leak was when I loosened the 3 bolts too much while idling. Quickly put a bit of torque on them and leaks stopped. No leaks besides that time.

In order to adjust the IQ, you WILL need the triangle pump socket. Trust me, there is no way to loosen that tight little SOB without screwing up the head of the bolt or the top of the injection pump.