DSG Flywheel rattle?

TedStriker

TDI
2004 Mk5 Golf TDI 140 DSG
Hi Guys,
I have a 2005 Mk5 Golf TDI DSG with the 2.0 140HP BKD engine. It's on just over 150k miles and recently I've done a bit of work on it. To cut a long story short it's had a new flywheel (Genuine LUK) and replacement known good gearbox. I did all the work myself but am pretty confident everything was done up correctly and I used new TTY bolts for the flywheel, correctly torqued. Problem I'm having is a loud tinny rattle when shutting off the engine. To me it sounds like a failing flywheel and I'd be looking for a replacement were it not for the fact that I know the flywheel is brand new!
So my question - before I pull the thing apart again (not good outdoors in UK this time of year), is there anything else that could be causing it? The flywheel definitely needed replacing - the old one was completely seized, but I think I had this rattle before starting the job too. I was a little confused when I found the seized flywheel as I was expecting a loose rattly one bearing in mind the shutdown noise.
The car drives great, no clunks, bangs or rattles when driving and gear changes are silky smooth.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Ted

Dalon

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 MKV Jetta TDI 1.9L - 237k 2013 Passat TDI - 31k
Is your EGR deleted? If so it’ll do a little shakedown as it doesn’t have the EGR to cut off air resulting in a smoother shutdown. My cars EGR is deleted and it does a little shakedown when I shut it off which is to be expected in my case.

TedStriker

TDI
2004 Mk5 Golf TDI 140 DSG
That's an interesting point. I did blank off the EGR while I was doing the work (blanking plates at the EGR cooler and intake manifold end) but that shouldn't affect shutdown as the motors/flaps were left in place.
I've just been out to record a video of it, try the youtube link below. Sounds really like a rattly flywheel to me. It also seems worse when warmed up. Engine was fairly cold when I took the video, it gets worse than this. Almost sounds like a heat shield, maybe not 'heavy' enough sound for a flywheel?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMjPx0JvgPg

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
My 2012 had a slight rattle under hard acceleration that turned out to be a cable hanging down in the DSG tunnel. I was certain I was due for a flywheel replacement but the dealership put it up on the lift before tearing into it and noticed the loose cable. They tucked it up and it never made another rattle again.