Outer CV joint removal.....help!

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
I am in the process of changing the wheel bearings on the car (both fronts shot) and also noticed that the DS outer joint is shot. I found someone local who has german outer joints ($125, the price of a new chinese axle) but I cannot figure out how to get the joint off the axle.

Since I have the spindle and all of that related hardware off the car, I have pretty good access to the joint without having to remove the axle from the car.

So, how do I get the joint off? I don't think there is any sort of circlip holding anything on.....do I just keep hitting it with a hammer until it slides off the spline?

Bah.

Lee_Taylor

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 1.4 COD
So, how do I get the joint off? I don't think there is any sort of circlip holding anything on.....do I just keep hitting it with a hammer until it slides off the spline?
That's how I did it. However I took the entire axle out and clamped it all up in a vice. Use a plastic or brass hammer. It takes quite a whack to get it off. There is a circlip holding it on to the spline you will need a new one when you put it back together.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
That circlip is hidden inside the inner part of the CV joint that fits on the splines. You have to get the boot out of the way. If you want to save it, you'll need to find a way to slide it up the half shaft so you have room.

And since you already have it out of the bearing carrier, unbolting it from the transaxle isn't a big deal, so you'll just have to put up with that.

After getting a good clear shot at the CV joint, yup, it is just whack that thing so you can get it over the circlip. It is generally easier to hit it right where the gap in the circlip is. Fun, since I don't have x-ray vision, I can't know where it is until it is revealed, and by then of course the problem is past. By this time it is better that you only hit the inner part of the joint, since the outer part would have to transmit the shock of a blow through the balls and races of the joint. If you have a brass drift to focus the energy of your hammer, that probably would be best.

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Got it done.....thanks so much for the assistance.

Didn't have to undo the inner CV, which was nice. Just a few good whacks around the inner race and it came off. New one on now, along with new wheel bearings and lower ball joints.

Big day, but hopefully it will not need anything for many miles now...

Thanks again!

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It was my local place......but you can find them cheaper at germanautoparts.com if you want to wait a few days.....

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Luckily the shop that I buy parts from has a press. They did it for me, $35.