Mixed G12 Coolant with O'Reilly 50/50 AntiFreeze

thollar

TDI
98 Jetta
Hi,

My coolant is/was leaking when the engine is running at a higher capacity (going up into the mountains). It is a 98 Jetta TDI. A shop told me that I could use O'Reilly 50/50 AntiFreeze. Well, I am now told that you cannot mix the the G12 with any other anti-freeze - that it will cause great harm to the engine. Am I hosed? Can I flush all of the anti-freeze? What causes coolant to leak when the engine is running at a higher RPM?

I appreciate your help.

Todd

thollar

TDI
98 Jetta
Are their going to be long-term issues with the mixing of the different types antifreezes?

Thanks again for your feedback.

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
in the bently specifically states do not mix g12 with anything, must be flushed clean and proper g12 put in, do a search many pictures of how nasty some can get in a short time

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
The only long term problems is if you leave it in there. Get it out and replaced with the right stuff and all will be fine.

thollar

TDI
98 Jetta
Thanks Eric - I've tried searching using several different terms ("mix G12" ect.), but - I haven't been able to locate other threads on this topic. If you could suggest a link or search term, that would be great.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
thollar said:
Thanks Eric - I've tried searching using several different terms ("mix G12" ect.), but - I haven't been able to locate other threads on this topic. If you could suggest a link or search term, that would be great.
__. Yeah, it turns to a thick sludge if the two types are left in there for any particular period of time. Gunks up radiators, engine passages, water pumps, etc. We highly trained automotive types describe this as "not a good thing".

karlaudi

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Golf GLS 1.9TDi; 2012 Volkswagen Golf 2.0 TDi
thollar said:
Hi,

My coolant is/was leaking when the engine is running at a higher capacity (going up into the mountains). It is a 98 Jetta TDI. A shop told me that I could use O'Reilly 50/50 AntiFreeze. Well, I am now told that you cannot mix the the G12 with any other anti-freeze - that it will cause great harm to the engine. Am I hosed? Can I flush all of the anti-freeze? What causes coolant to leak when the engine is running at a higher RPM?

I appreciate your help.

Todd
VW/Audi have a specific technical bulletin on G12/G11 antfreeze and what is acceptable in terms of mixing and what is not. I'll post the number from my archives ASAP.

In short -FLUSH, RUN THE ENGINE WITH CLEAR WATER to OPERATING TEMP. --COOL DOWN, FLUSH, REPEAT PROCESS, DRAIN, Fill with the correct G12 VW /Audi approved Coolant.

Pressure test with a Stant Cooling Sytem tester using the correct adapters, (Check the radiator cap too ) look for leaks everywhere, and all prior to filling with new coolant.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
thollar said:
A shop told me that I could use O'Reilly 50/50 AntiFreeze.
Find another shop... actually, one of the TDI-Club Gurus is in Aurora... have him check your car out - especially the timing...

Steve Carroll... userID here is "scarroll"

All the best,

Yuri.

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
In my bently it states that under no circumstances should g12 be mixed with any other type of coolant.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Another OAT coolant will mix fine when G12 isn't available, and heaven knows it is hard enough to locate.

The green stuff won't work. That is what causes the sludge that the chicken littles are screaming about.

I have used Dexcool without mishap for quite a while (i.e. years). Strangely enough, my engine not only is not a ticking bomb, but is running quite well on a mixture.

Flame on if you like. Flamers cannot disprove my experience.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Powder hound, I would be interested in seeing what your water pump looks like. I'm not flaming, I just interested.

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
Before jumping to conclusions check the ingredients on the Oreilly coolant, if it lists silicates or phosphates, you better start flushing. If it lists organic additives such sodium decanoate/benzoate, you have nothing to worry about. G12 will mix with Dexcool approved coolants , the mixture just won't last as long as pure G12