2014 TDI Jetta PO401

XjGhost

TDI
Jetta
So on the way home from work my Jetta CEL popped on. I went to the local parts house and they pulled a PO401. The Jetta had the diesel gate changes done. The car has 115K on it. Serviced regularly at VW dealers. Wife and I are heading out of town Friday. I'll call my local dealer tomorrow for a cost estimate if they will give me one. From what I have ready this is usually a cracked DPF clogging the EGR? Is this a problem that will leave me beside the road? This is my first TDI so my knowledge is limited. Is seems like my options are DPF/EGR delete or fix the DPF only to possibly have to fix it again? Any insight would be great.

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I think if both phases were done it should be covered by the warranty? Call & ask your Dealer or better VW themselves
As far a driving I here others driving with that code for a while
If check engine light or glow plug light is flashing that could be worst ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Other than calling to make an appointment, don't ask or expect anything over the phone.

All you need to say is "I need to make an appointment to drop my car off, as the check engine light has come on". That's it. No drama, no stress. Don't wait for it, just plan alternate transportation. Don't try to help them along with any armchair/autozone diagnosis. It won't help you, or them, or anyone.

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition, 2003 Jetta GLS, 2000 Jetta GLS, 2012 JSW
Depends on what kind of relationship you have with a service person at your dealer. Last time I took mine in was for a fuel leak at the tandem pump.
I pointed it out to my service guy, “asked” him if I would be provided a loaner as this fell under the emissions warranty, and in 20min he had me in a loaner on my way.
With the way the dealership looked on that day, I may have been sitting there for 1-2hrs had I just shrugged my shoulders and said “i dunno.”
But in your case, telling them that you’ve been driving around with a cracked DPF and you knew about it probably isn’t a good play. So there’s that.

IIRC, you’re entitled to a free loaner if the repair is expected to take 3hrs or more (if you’re still under the warranty)

Gilty_one

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Execline 3.0 V6 TDI; 2012 Jetta Highline TDI
So on the way home from work my Jetta CEL popped on. I went to the local parts house and they pulled a PO401. The Jetta had the diesel gate changes done. The car has 115K on it. Serviced regularly at VW dealers. Wife and I are heading out of town Friday. I'll call my local dealer tomorrow for a cost estimate if they will give me one. From what I have ready this is usually a cracked DPF clogging the EGR? Is this a problem that will leave me beside the road? This is my first TDI so my knowledge is limited. Is seems like my options are DPF/EGR delete or fix the DPF only to possibly have to fix it again? Any insight would be great.
Could also be a faulty Vacuum pump. Mine had that - replaced it and no fault code nor limp mode. (flashy glow plug light and CEL) *bad memory - I had a P2563 code.

Last edited: