40,000-mile service

Dana Bartholomew

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2000, satin silver
I have a Y2K Golf TDI that just passed 40K. Am scheduled for a dealer service this week. The service writer's "cheat-sheet" calls for a timing belt replacement at 40K for year 2000 TDIs. This seems ridiculous, especially since 2001 models call for a belt change at 60K. What gives?

Dana

Y2K TDI Golf
'91 Mercedes Benz 2.5Turbo
'73 Norton Commando Interstate
'67 BMW R50/2

Danny Boy

Veteran Member
Well,

It could suck to be you. Just kidding. The 40k is the OLD guideline for auto tranny. The auto has larger injectors and requires more work from the belt in various ways, so it was to be replaced more frequently. The manual tranny (OLD guidelines) was to be changed at 60k.

Now late 2k1 and all 2k2's are supposed to be changed at 80k. Since there is NO change in the motor, you can upgrade to the new tensioner and belt with an extended life!

You can do a search for timing belt and find this issue has been beat over and over again. Some books were misprinted.

DB

Dana Bartholomew

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2000, satin silver
I will upgrade to the new belt and tensioner. I suspected this subject was beaten to death. Unfortunately, a search on this forum failed to pull up posts after Feb. 2000.

Dana Bartholomew

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2000, satin silver
Brian,

I did fix the 300D. After months in the shop waiting for a rebuilt MB injection pump, got it back last week.

Runs like a champ at 207K. It rips. Am told it's faster than most MB diesels. After puttering around town for a week I drove it from L.A. to San Francisco and back. Got nearly 33 mpg. Am SO glad I fixed this car, despite the considerable expense.

The car's a lifer -- clean, classy, comfortable, rock steady. Thanks for asking.

ujaku

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 VW GTI, no more TDI for me
Originally posted by Danny Boy:

Now late 2k1 and all 2k2's are supposed to be changed at 80k. Since there is NO change in the motor, you can upgrade to the new tensioner and belt with an extended life!

DB
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I got my 2k1 Jetta in May '01....how do I find out if this is a late model so I know if can wait until 80k miles to change? is it in the VIN # ?

Dana Bartholomew

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2000, satin silver
Ouch!! Just paid $787 for a 40K service. Must suck to be me.

The service included a headlight bulb and two nipples installed to secure the rear floormats. I supplied my own Delvac 1 and filter.

The dealer told me it could not retrofit my Y2K TDI with the new timing belt and tensioner, as it applied to a VIN ## for later cars.

Danny Boy

Veteran Member
I think your service department is disserving you at to their benefit. Many other forum members have successfully updated to the new belt and tensioner. I would call other dealerships to find if they have upgraded anyone else's.

If it were my car, I would demand that they show me the difference between a 01 and 02 engine block, while the belt is off. Make sure that you are holding a blunt object, incase their rambling turns into any of the following words or phrases... (don't hesitate to take a swing)

1. "The new part number is 65423....2...2....niner, that's why".

2. "The turnsignal fluid pump requires the old belt to provide adequate tension".

3. "We get regular information from VWoA, they said I can't do that on their weekly and timely newsletter"

There is good reason for you to be upset.

Dana Bartholomew

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2000, satin silver
Good point, DB. I will go to another dealer, in about 40,000 miles, to upgrade my timing belt system.

Problem is, in SoCalif., few drive TDIs and few service them. Insecure, and presumably well-meaning dealers, feel compelled to go "by the book." This means checking part nos., VIN nos., and drawing conclusions however cautious or unfounded.

It's sad. I long for the days of independent thinkers, free-spirited tinkerers, bailing wire believers -- and thrift.

I was a Mercedes lot boy more than 25 years ago and remember being appalled at the "C Service" cost of $500, which was essentially a buffalo job. One generation later, I'm paying nearly $800 to service a "lowly" VW -- and essentially change a rubber band.

Bottom line: I place the blame on VW for not issuing a bulletin for dealers and mechanics clearly explaining how to retrofit their customers cars.

I got a great car that has been good to me. I should count my blessings.