www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old April 21st, 2018, 09:28   #46
jason_
Veteran Member

Can a coolant heater easily be added to usa cars?
jason_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2018, 10:16   #47
GreenLantern_TDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Mid 40s

It sure can. I installed the frostheater. Got it from idparts.com and it was easy. Do yourself a favor and buy a good hose cutter before install.

Last edited by GreenLantern_TDI; April 22nd, 2018 at 12:03.
GreenLantern_TDI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2018, 11:39   #48
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Somebody ought to put together a good quality remote oil filter kit for these cars. There must be room somewhere that's more easily accessible.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2018, 12:30   #49
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: very good

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
Somebody ought to put together a good quality remote oil filter kit for these cars. There must be room somewhere that's more easily accessible.
Why? because you have one? That is a totally different issue that a coolant heater.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2018, 13:10   #50
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Why? because you have one? That is a totally different issue that a coolant heater.
No, I don't have a mk7, or a remote oil filter. I bet there are more than a few mk7 owners that would appreciate a topside oil filter setup though.
Old April 21st, 2018, 14:49   #51
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

I just had mine changed at my dealer for $77. It would cost me $81.95 just for the same OEM oil and filter and plug (IDParts) plus my own labor. I have had good luck with my dealer on things such as this. A remote oil filter kit wouldn't help me at all. Plus I want it on VW's record the service was performed by them for warranty purposes. If I could save a good sum by doing it myself or my dealer service sucked then maybe. Some things they aren't so reasonable on. Partly why I sold my 2003 for a 2015. In and out in an hour +/- with complimentary spray rinse and vacuum. Just no reason for me to even mess with it at that price and service level. Not everyone has a VW service department that does good work, but I am glad I have them as a resource.

Last edited by Lightflyer1; April 21st, 2018 at 23:01.
Lightflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2018, 15:13   #52
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: very good

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
No, I don't have a mk7, or a remote oil filter. I bet there are more than a few mk7 owners that would appreciate a topside oil filter setup though.
Well, then why don't you do it? And all these mk7 owners would be appreciative to you.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2018, 15:44   #53
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Well, then why don't you do it? And all these mk7 owners would be appreciative to you.
I'll see if I can squeeze it in. It's hard finding the time with all of the helping the orphans and finding a cure for cancer. Not to mention the internet perusing.
Old April 21st, 2018, 16:56   #54
GreenLantern_TDI
Veteran Member

Trust me ive looked into a remote oil filter setup for my MK7 Golf. I was wanting to do an Amsoil dual remote. That way you get the bypass filtering as well. On the MK5s you could get a plate that bolted to the block if you removed the stock oil filter housing and bracket. Foreseeable issues.... Warranty would be the 1st. Next issue id be concerned with is oil flow from the oil pump. Does the pump flow enough to pump the extra distance to the remote setup and added resistance. Anyone have any input on that?
Old April 21st, 2018, 18:52   #55
jason_
Veteran Member

Well. I just did my first oil change on the 15. Fuzz over 20k miles. It was a half quart low after 11k miles.

Belly pan was simple. Used an old spark plug wire to hold coolant hose up and away.

When the oil plug was out, I did what I do to all my vehicles, drilled the center out, and silver soldered a brass ball valve to the end of it, with handle removed and a slot cut for flat blade screwdriver to close/open. Barbed nipple on the end. Super easy no mess drains. Slip an end over the barb, other in a container, open and wait.

The filter came off easy, obviously pull the center plug in that to drain the filter housing before spinning off.

I probably lost 2 tablespoons of oil, and that was the growlers fault getting in my way trying to pour in new oil!

30mins of actual tools and hands on the car.

2hrs and a growler to find a ball valve somewhere in the garage.

1minute to drill

5 Mins to solder.

No jack stands. no hoist.

Straddled the 30ft long in floor pit.

Im hoping the 30k mark will be even quicker and easier. With or without a growler.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
Old April 21st, 2018, 20:51   #56
GreenLantern_TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern_TDI View Post
Trust me ive looked into a remote oil filter setup for my MK7 Golf. I was wanting to do an Amsoil dual remote. That way you get the bypass filtering as well. On the MK5s you could get a plate that bolted to the block if you removed the stock oil filter housing and bracket. Foreseeable issues.... Warranty would be the 1st. Next issue id be concerned with is oil flow from the oil pump. Does the pump flow enough to pump the extra distance to the remote setup and added resistance. Anyone have any input on that?
Ive actually looked into adding an additional oil scavenging pump that would draw oil from the oil pan and at 60 psi run it threw an Amsoil bypass set up and back to the valve cover. I priced all the parts out to about $700. I would use a gear type oil pump thats built for race cars with a dry sump. The pump i was looking at is around $300 and is made to pump motor oil to and from a turbo. The pump measures 4" 4" 6". But as everyone knows the Ea288 is packed into the Golf tight so it and the filter ass would have to find space either by front bumper or by exhaust bits.
Old April 24th, 2018, 09:17   #57
jason_
Veteran Member

OK I'm fascinated by this scenario.

I drove maybe 450 miles, now I'm all of a sudden rain randomly getting reduce oil level alters.... Hot or cold.

Sometimes ignition kill will make it go away, other times it doesn't, and in between all its totally random!

It's less random on mornings when I'm parked in my driveway. It's a fuzz 5* incline, as car nose points uphill, and the sensor is in back of pan...

What's more ridiculous and the fact I haven't shown much concern, is it's near perfect on the stick, as in maybe 1mm out of bounds on the stick being too high on level ground.

Any one ever get a oil level too high alert on dash?

I'm just gonna wait it out. Few more table spoons past the rings and I'll be good.

Last edited by jason_; April 24th, 2018 at 09:20.
Old April 24th, 2018, 09:25   #58
Growler
Got Soot Vendor

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_ View Post

I probably lost 2 tablespoons of oil, and that was the growlers fault getting in my way trying to pour in new oil!

Boy was I ever confused when I read this...

2hrs and a growler to find a ball valve somewhere in the garage.

With or without a growler.

Aahh, that makes MUCH more sense now..

Boy you threw me for a loop when I started reading this post man. i'm like how did I get in your way while pouring your oil into youtr car..

then I kept reading and realised you has some libations in the process..

aah, all is well.

Glad you got it all taken care of.

Aaron

Schmutz 2015 GSW S DSG
Schnurren 2001 Golf 2 door.
Growler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2018, 09:48   #59
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_ View Post
OK I'm fascinated by this scenario.

I drove maybe 450 miles, now I'm all of a sudden rain randomly getting reduce oil level alters.... Hot or cold.

Sometimes ignition kill will make it go away, other times it doesn't, and in between all its totally random!

It's less random on mornings when I'm parked in my driveway. It's a fuzz 5* incline, as car nose points uphill, and the sensor is in back of pan...

What's more ridiculous and the fact I haven't shown much concern, is it's near perfect on the stick, as in maybe 1mm out of bounds on the stick being too high on level ground.

Any one ever get a oil level too high alert on dash?

I'm just gonna wait it out. Few more table spoons past the rings and I'll be good.

On these cars it can't be too high or too low. It has to be just right.
Old April 24th, 2018, 11:07   #60
GreenLantern_TDI
Veteran Member

About 100 miles after picking my car up when i bought it i got "reduce oil level" notification. I drove the remaining 4 hours home. Once home i checked the oil. Holy cow. I had to drain over a quart out to get it in level and the warning to go away. Some peoples kids i tell ya.