Removing springs from hydraulic lifters BEW

turbotorq

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
Has anyone heard of this? Jeff from colt cams and I were recently speaking on the phone about this, he said they perform much better. Apparently Kermatdi has been experimenting with this in staff cars. 5 minute modification. I know nothing about the hydraulic operation of the lifters to comment to whether it's benefitional or catastrophic

UPDATE, YouTube video below

Last edited:

Nutsnbolts

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2000 Jetta, Silver Arrow
I wouldn't exactly call it a 5 minute mod...Maybe more like 2 hours. As far as removing springs from the lifters, when I shattered one of my stock lifters years ago, I took a couple of them apart and did not see any springs in them, which surprised me. But those were the original early 2000 VW lifters, I have not taken any newer or aftermarket lifters apart. I'm curious about what the advantages are- perhaps lowering valvetrain weight so that the valves remain responsive at higher RPM? But we could only be talking a few grams here...

-Rich

turbotorq

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
I wouldn't exactly call it a 5 minute mod...Maybe more like 2 hours. As far as removing springs from the lifters, when I shattered one of my stock lifters years ago, I took a couple of them apart and did not see any springs in them, which surprised me. But those were the original early 2000 VW lifters, I have not taken any newer or aftermarket lifters apart. I'm curious about what the advantages are- perhaps lowering valvetrain weight so that the valves remain responsive at higher RPM? But we could only be talking a few grams here...

-Rich
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ty-sdftGx40&feature=youtu.be

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Are you thinking of getting a Colt cam and trying this modification? The explanation in the video seems to make sense.

I was surprised to learn that Colt Cams is about an hour drive from my house. Almost makes me wish I needed a cam!

turbotorq

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
Are you thinking of getting a Colt cam and trying this modification?

I was surprised to learn that Colt Cams is about an hour drive from my house. Almost makes me wish I needed a cam!

Colt cam stage 2 is ordered! $943 CAD shipped to my door. Just wondering if someone could chime in who has a deeper understanding of the operation of the hydraulic lifters to know if this modification is infact beneficial

Last edited:

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Well, we know that you've posted *three* different threads on this same topic... and are now bumping each thread.

Not likely gonna win you many helpful responses....including this unhelpful one. :)

turbotorq

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
Well, we know that you've posted *three* different threads on this same topic... and are now bumping each thread.

Not likely gonna win you many helpful responses....including this unhelpful one. :)

Understood Vince, I'm a day away from installing my stage 2 with new lifters and I'm torn about removing the springs so forgive me for my thread flooding. Would be nice to have some replies from some veterans on this new idea.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Yup, understood. BTDT. :)

It may be you're not getting any ideas because this is a new one perhaps.

Speaking for myself, for example... have been on this board many many years and across many many build threads... dunno that I've ever seen a recommendation to remove the springs from the lifters.

Not saying it's wrong or right... just saying I've never seen this recommendation. :)

turbotorq

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
Yup, understood. BTDT. :)
It may be you're not getting any ideas because this is a new one perhaps.
Speaking for myself, for example... have been on this board many many years and across many many build threads... dunno that I've ever seen a recommendation to remove the springs from the lifters.
Not saying it's wrong or right... just saying I've never seen this recommendation. :)

Ok thanks Vince for the advice , I'm will remove the springs for this install and report back on the outcome.