question about A4 Jetta City models

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Asking in this section because I think it gets a lot of traffic, and you guys and gals may be able to help me.

As many of us have found out, the trunk harness for the A4 Jettas through the 2005 cars sold here has long since been discontinued. However, the same basic model (albeit gasoline fueled only) has still been in production in various places about the globe, and was still available up through I think 2010 (?) in Canada as the Jetta City.

My query is this: the discontinued part number is not the same as the ones for the newer City models, and the City models have various part numbers depending on model year, none of which as of yet appear to be discontinued. So I need to know if anyone knows what, if any, differences in the trunk lid wiring there is on these cars.

The part numbers in question:

1J5-971-182-H (this is the discontinued one, for 2000-2005s)

City models:

1J5-971-182-L, M, P, N, and Q suffixes

ETKA is unclear but there seems to be some overlap on production ranges for these.

Just wanting to know if these newer harnesses could be made to work in the older cars. Sometimes VAG changes part numbers for no good reason, and while the newer versions may indeed work, they do not always place supercessions in ETKA. 1998 New Beetle door latches are one such example. Dropped years ago, obsoleted, no supercessions, yet the later 2000+ latches bolt up, plug in, and work perfectly fine (aside from the passenger side lock cylinder will no longer work, but driver's side works exactly the same).

Wasn't sure if they changed anything specific, like took away the electric latch mechanism or something.

Any help is appreciated. Getting tired of cobbling together harnesses as these are not exactly easy to repair and make a good long lasting setup.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Jetta cities have lights(brake/running) on the trunk themselves... Also the license plate is in the rear bumper, not on the trunk in the cities. So there would definitely be a major change in the wiring just for that.
I could not tell you personally the ins and outs of the latch assembly.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
steve6, thanks so much, that is exactly what I needed to know. I googled it (shoulda done that before) and didn't even realize they moved the lights around in back.

And I assume all model years of these are the same in the back? Odd they have so many part number changes.

So back to square one. Thanks again! :)

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
steve6, thanks so much, that is exactly what I needed to know. I googled it (shoulda done that before) and didn't even realize they moved the lights around in back.
And I assume all model years of these are the same in the back? Odd they have so many part number changes.
So back to square one. Thanks again! :)
The 2007 city golf and jetta was still a MK4, it was only as a 2008 model that it changed to what some call a MK4.5... maybe, just maybe, the wiring harness may still be available for the 2007 model under a different part number?

Also, on this site here you can get many European parts

www.e-acca.com

The harnesses listed on their site end with C,G and J... not sure if maybe one of those would help you

Last edited: