Power Steering Leak - Hose Replacement?

jfd3220

TDI
2002 Golf GLS
I was driving along today and then suddenly lost power steering. I checked the fluid level and there was nothing left in the reservoir. Had a look under the car and saw this:

I think that the hose might have rusted out at the end there and from the splaying back I think that may be where the leak is. Should I just order a new hose? I have not seen any leakage around the boot on the drivers side so I am hoping it's only the hose that is leaking. Is it ok for the PS pump to keep driving it without any fluid?

djd58

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI, 2001 Golf TDI,2011 Golf TDI, 2012 Passat TDI 2014 Q5 tdi
looks like the hose is the problem, I would confirm it by adding some fluid and having someone start the car while you watch that area to make sure. I found rockauto.com to be the cheapest place for power steering hoses

nathan_b

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 alh jetta/ 2002 alh jetta
if you drive the car without fluid, it will kill the ps pump on a tdi, as it is near the top. and will dry out quickly.

Dieselducky

Veteran Member
TDI
88 Jetta Diesel - 2000 Jetta TDI - 04 BMW M3 - 06 Kia Rio - F350 Superduty - 87 Buick GNX - Mobile Cranes
Make sure you use a approved PS fluid....the Universal fluids found at Canadian Tire are not compatible

jfd3220

TDI
2002 Golf GLS
Damn, I hope the pump hasn't been ruined. I drove it home at least 40km after I lost power steering. It seems like a shame to put pentosin PS fluid in there if it's going to get wasted as soon as I start the car.
Is this the hose I would need to get? I have the manual trans with A/C. I suspect that it's all corroded because it doesn't have a belly pan and hasn't had since who knows when. I just got it less than 2 months ago and it seems like it's having a new issue come up every couple of weeks.

jfd3220

TDI
2002 Golf GLS
I just realized that the fluid that is leaking is red. That means that somebody but regular ATF in there, right? Do I need to replace all of the seals now?

TDI
what angle is this photo taken from? I think I may have had the same thing happen to me today. I looked down by the control arm and there was a brownish liquid all over it. PS revevoir was empty..I filled it back up and it seemed to stay after driving it around the block. My PS never went out like yours.

chunk

TDI
2005 VW Jetta TDI
I had my pressure hose blow out about 3000km ago. I grabbed a hose from pick n pull. Its out of a 2.0l. It works but the hose is slightly more difficult to connect because the early MK 4 gassers have a bottom mount pump and the TDI's have a top mount pump, so the hoses are slightly different. I also don't recall seeing major differences from the auto and 5 speed. But the price was right.. $5 However, be careful, my pump ran dry, and not knowing it ould damage it, it destroyed my pump.(pump wasnt so cheap) The bearing broke, bent, and it threw the serp belt..

Last edited:

chunk

TDI
2005 VW Jetta TDI
BTW, that looks like your pressure hose. And if it were rusted through, then you would know where the leak is because it would be spraying everywhere. Might just be a loose fitting.

skatanic

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf 450k
Chunk, could you explain how you routed the 2.0L hose? I couldn't get it to stretch up to my pump on my 2000 Golf.

jfd3220

TDI
2002 Golf GLS
I have to replace mine too. Found it leaking (Black not Red). Was the Edelman Hose from Rockauto the correct choice? I am also a manual with A/C.
Yes that was the correct hose. It comes with the crush washers. I replaced it and haven't had any problems since. Fortunately my pump wasn't empty, so I haven't had to replace it.

jfd3220

TDI
2002 Golf GLS
Is the install just re&re? is the pressure hose not under pressure with the car off? or am I going to end up spraying fluid all over the bay?
There's no pressure with the car off. I had to buy an extending handle flex-head ratchet to get at the banjo bolt on the rack. It took me quite a while but if I had to do it again it would probably be a 20 minute job.

chunk

TDI
2005 VW Jetta TDI
Chunk, could you explain how you routed the 2.0L hose? I couldn't get it to stretch up to my pump on my 2000 Golf.
They are similar in length, but because the fitting into the pump is a bit different. The top mount pump has a hose with a slight bend on it and the bottom mount hose is fairly straight. So I routed the hose from the steering rack connection over the top of the tranny. Then it bends and it went behind/under the oil filter, then I curved it up so I could make the connection to the pump. BTW it is a royal pain I found trying to connect it to the steering rack. Limited space without a vehicle hoist. But with patience it can be done. Dont be affraid to bend the hard tubing slightly either if you need to to make it work. It is very stiff, and you shouldnt worry about kinking or breaking it. It has worked out fine in my case. I have about 4000km on it since I repaired my pressure hose. And still working well. Just remember to wrap any spot where the metal hose touches any metal pieces on your car, cause after a while it will rub through and burst. But that would take thousands of km's.. But just wrap it with some type of rubberized tape or something of that nature.

emtskiboe

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
what size flex head?

There's no pressure with the car off. I had to buy an extending handle flex-head ratchet to get at the banjo bolt on the rack. It took me quite a while but if I had to do it again it would probably be a 20 minute job.
would a rachet or wrench work better? if you know the size let me know

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
So for install a few things, Its mostly hard to see in there, experience matters so you can feel your way around.

You can go from behind, or front if you really want to help get in there, but the best way is to take the side plastic off and use extensions and a flexible joint.

Socket -> small extension -> flex -> long extension -> rachet (17/18/19 sockets, forget what size, one of those depending on which line). And you can do this from inside the drivers side wheel well(take the wheel off). This fitting is f'ing tight to get off, doing this with a half drive and breaker bar to loosen has always worked best for me. Putting it back together, with the 2 banjo washers is a bit trickey to get started, but I usually reach in past the drive shaft, and follow the tie rod up and can get the bolt started, then tighten as needed with the rachet, be sure not to drop the inside banjo washer, its quite annoying because its fine thread and a fair bit of feel, you don't want to strip it.

Again, you can reach up through the back to help you as well get things started, if you have a hoist much easier, but I do these thing in my driveway so the less on my back the better.

I've done a few pressure lines over the years and racks, but I just had to replace rack two weeks ago. Fun job

I have made 2.0 lines fit on a tdi as well, the pump is higher, you lose a foot or so, but I just stretched out the 'cooler' part of the line to compensate.

leafs

Veteran Member
TDI
alh
would a rachet or wrench work better? if you know the size let me know
if your car is a 5spd the easier way (imo) is to take off the airbox to reach them from the top. then if memory serves me correct you can use a 3/8 ratchet to remove it. 1/2" didn't work for me, too tight... not sure if it's easy to reach from the top if it's an auto.