04 TDI to 01 GLS

EcoDiesel

TDI
Eco Diesel
I have purchased a wrecked 04 TDI 4 door golf MT and a 01 2.0 AT. Looking at swapping the tdi into the gas shell. Planning to swap as much as I can from TDI. Any known issues I will run into? I plan on swapping the cluster, ignition, and ECU from the TDI. Anything else I should look at. The tdi did not come with sunroof or heated seats, but the 01 has them. Looking for some info of stuff that I am not thinking about during the swap.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Need to be clearer.
What is rhe 01 2.0 AT from?
What gas shell are you looking to swap into?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You'll need to swap just about everything, as there are a few more items that changed 2001-2004. Even things like the radio wiring is different, so plan on yanking the dash out.

Basically strip the 2001 down to the bare shell (you can leave the glass in, and the doors can probably be left alone). Then you can see what all is different.

It would be easier to find a 2004-2006 Golf, even if it was the gas engine, to swap stuff into.

EcoDiesel

TDI
Eco Diesel
The TDI is from an 04 4-door golf 5-speed was hit hard on the passenger side. The passenger side strut tower is slightly tweeked and the the front frame horn is bent down from the wreck. Hooked the battery charger up and it has 175k. Motor looks pretty clean, doesnt appear to have any major leaks.

So I found a 01 4-door golf that the owner said had a knock in the motor. Working on pulling the wiring now to get the motor out. The interior is already stripped down to the dash.

The 04 has no sunroof and no heated seats. The swap car has a sunroof and heated seats, i would like to keep them functioning. It will be a little fun on wiring everything.

I plan on stripping everything changing everything over from the donor car.

EcoDiesel

TDI
Eco Diesel
Decided to scratch the PD in the 01 because the intier was pretty well off. I did not want to tear it all apart to get the wiring to transfer over. Therefor i have picked up an 01 GTI and to swap the PD into. For the 4 door golf, have decided to purchase an 02 4door to utilize the motor and trans out of and produce a 01 4 door golf.

When i get to working on the GTI, my build will be logged and put into the forum.