Mk4 ALH Malone Stage 1/ Dynamic EGR review

kroso

TDI
2001 jetta
So after 3 years of owning my TDi I went for it and did it.

I have been looking into getting my ECU tuned for the longest time. So I found the closest Malone dealer to me. I went to a place quite close to me just 15 min drive over a toll bridge called PG Performance. People there were nice and friendly. I did the stage 1 and dynamic EGR tune.

The tune took about 45 min to do, and I was on my way.

The Stage 1 Tune

First impressions: As I was driving back up to the highway my engine at that point was warm enough to slam on. I was so impressed, the feel of the turbo boosting. It was a great feel. I noticed that my brand new tires do like to spin out in first gear if slam on the pedal. In rain, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears make the tires spin out. The pull is great in every gear now all the way to redline. Can officially pass cars easily on the roads.

After about a week: At this point, I am now used to the power and I want more! (wishing I had an 04 or 05 Jetta with bew so I could have gone straight to stage 2) But still loving the tune It is great. Definitely worth the money.

Fuel economy is about the same have not seen any difference yet.

Dynamic EGR Tune

Reason for this tune in my case was that my EGR is super gunky and I am about to do a intake cleaning. I didn't want to deal with oil sloot again after the de carb.

I have noticed that my engine warms up as fast as before if not faster. Once it reaches about 75 Degrees C it doesn't go much above that unless I am city driving it goes to 90. Before the tune, my engine was steady 90 Degrees C highway or city.

1975 Kombi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2011 Touareg TDI, 1992 D Jetta, 1992 TD Jetta, 2001 NB TDI, 1992 Golf coupe D
With the dynamic EGR, the EGR does work but only during the warm up period.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
The road to power is a "slippery slope" and can get quite expensive if not really planned ahead. A tune update will not be very expensive to get you to Stage 2. Stage 3 is another thing... Going Stage 3 really $tarts to add up: a stronger clutch will be needed as well as larger nozzles. A .205 nozzle is enough to fuel a Stage 3 tune, but I would personally purchase .216 sized nozzles just in case you may upgrade your turbo in the future. The price difference in .205 vs. .216 nozzles is minimal and if you want to go Stage 4, the .216 nozzles will flow plenty of fuel.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Once it reaches about 75 Degrees C it doesn't go much above that unless I am city driving it goes to 90. Before the tune, my engine was steady 90 Degrees C highway or city.

Sorry, but that doesn't sound right. Your thermostat should be holding
a constant temp. Try changing your sensor first, if that doesn't fix
the fluctuation, then you need a new thermostat as well.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I don't know if anyone noticed, but the original post is from 2016 :)