Running Car with MAF unplugged

Scott_Martinez

TDI
2002 Jetta, 76 300d
Is there any issue with running the car this way till the new one arrives? I am enjoying the modest, but noticeable power gain with shifting through the gears.

Thanks

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Thanks! Already happened. It's been about 3 years since I've seen that light. -I though maybe it had burned out!
Those things never burn out, just like the AB light!! :rolleyes:
Years ago I had a Ford Taurus that I bought as salvage (someone hit a deer with it and the passenger AB went off) put it together and drove it for the work car. The AB light was really bright at night, so I took the panel apart and removed the bulb. Apparently there was a fail safe built into the system, because that started a beeper that would go off every so often and beep for 30 seconds, then off for a few minutes and repeat. Had to put the bulb back in and cover it up. I wasn't about to put a new AB in that heap.

Scott_Martinez

TDI
2002 Jetta, 76 300d
Im curious, since you have been driving with the maf unplugged, how is the gas mileage? Better/worst? if you noticed..
Just unplugged it a couple of days ago and have not really noticed. I did fill up today and will not get the new MAF for a week, so I'll let you know what I find out. I am simply enjoying the power as I let out the clutch. It took me a few trips to learn how to shift again. It sounds like the new MAF will have it running even better. I am about 40% blocked on my intake and plan to clean that in a couple of weeks to get my 50mpg back!

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
You might want to monitor boost, a failed or unplugged MAF can lead to dangerous over boost that can lead to overheating and head gasket failure.

And the thing about mileage from my experience you only see a drop if you keep your foot in it using that higher @ lower rpms all the time.

Scott_Martinez

TDI
2002 Jetta, 76 300d
You might want to monitor boost, a failed or unplugged MAF can lead to dangerous over boost that can lead to overheating and head gasket failure.

And the thing about mileage from my experience you only see a drop if you keep your foot in it using that higher @ lower rpms all the time.
Thanks, I don't see any real noticeable difference during boost and have been shifting around 3k getting on the Freeway. -But when shifting from 1st to second and so on, it's like there is more torque and I can get through the gears faster. I wish my MAF was here already!

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
Thanks, I don't see any real noticeable difference during boost and have been shifting around 3k getting on the Freeway. -But when shifting from 1st to second and so on, it's like there is more torque and I can get through the gears faster. I wish my MAF was here already!

I replaced a lot of these ~7 years ago and that is a perfect description of what a failed or unplugged MAF will do. You have so much more power because you are getting higher boost at much lower rpms. And because of those early boost spikes you describe which give you such a low rpm punch EGTs are going to be a lot higher. Which will mean more heat built up in the engine so make sure you allow a good cool down before you shut the engine off. A hard run then a quick shut down before you have disposed of that built up extra heat can stretch the head bolts leading to the head gasket loosing seal.

Something else that often happens is you get "safe mode" from over boost spikes above what the ecu will allow. A turning of the key off then back on will reset things most of the time. But if this starts happening a lot you are in real danger of what I describe above..........

Scott_Martinez

TDI
2002 Jetta, 76 300d
My MAF was delivered today priority mail instead of the ground shipping my email notification showed. I dropped it in and reset the CEL and took it for a test drive. For an engine with over 204,000 miles the car acts like it was rebuilt. I am bummed that I did not investigate this $100 part 100k ago. I've got power all through the shifting range and get from 0-60 way faster then I used to. I guess that the clutch I have been babying all this time is going to be the next thing I need to do after I clean the intake!