www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Mid-west USA

Mid-west USA Local discussions for those on the Mid-West US. ( Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Kansas, Missouri)

Old April 14th, 2017, 14:38   #7681
astrolumen

It was a pleasure doing business with you! I'll miss the car, but I know it's in good hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by najel View Post
I bought the car from Bjorn, nicest guy you'll ever meet. Thanks for the easy transaction!
I'm excited to get insurance on it now and start driving.

'02 Golf GLS TDI 5m: Panzer Skidplate, Scangauge, Frostheater

astrolumen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2017, 21:38   #7682
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Mills Fleet Farm raised their price for Mobil Delvac 1 ESP gallons, from $23.99 to $24.39 a gallon. But it's still a great price, and a $12/gallon rebate makes it a super deal.

The FF I went to had both the old and new Delvac -- API CJ-4 and CK-4. But they only had four gallon jugs of the CK-4, so I grabbed those plus one of the older CJ-4. I don't know what the supply situation is at the other FF stores.

Rebate offer ends May 31 2017

https://mobildelvac.com/en/promotion...h-mobil-delvac
'03 Golf with 735k miles: Bosio DLC 764, GT1749VB, PP 2.5" downpipe, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Bilstein HDs, Recaros, Akebono pads/Brembo rotors, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Blizzaks, TDT or Delvac1
Like TDI Club? Got PayPal? Got $1 or $5 or $10? Contribution link on the main page.
TornadoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2017, 22:30   #7683
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

How much oil do you go through?
[486] is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2017, 23:04   #7684
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
How much oil do you go through?
I drive a lot, and lately a lot more. It used to be about 4000 miles a month, but now it's going to be over 5000. So using a normal 10k-mile OCI and normal topping-up between oil changes ..... it has to be at least eight or ten gallons a year. Right now I have eight in stock.
'03 Golf with 735k miles: Bosio DLC 764, GT1749VB, PP 2.5" downpipe, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Bilstein HDs, Recaros, Akebono pads/Brembo rotors, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Blizzaks, TDT or Delvac1
Like TDI Club? Got PayPal? Got $1 or $5 or $10? Contribution link on the main page.
Old April 15th, 2017, 19:34   #7685
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

Oh, I do about double that... in a year.

Now I remember you have a courier job. Certainly savings to be had with the tdi. Another local guy has 5XXk miles on his ranger doing courier work and managing rental properties, probably getting 20-25 MPG with a 4cyl/5spd/2wd... Funny to think about around a hundred thousand dollars going into his gas tank.
[486] is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2017, 22:19   #7686
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
Oh, I do about double that... in a year.

Now I remember you have a courier job. Certainly savings to be had with the tdi. Another local guy has 5XXk miles on his ranger doing courier work and managing rental properties, probably getting 20-25 MPG with a 4cyl/5spd/2wd... Funny to think about around a hundred thousand dollars going into his gas tank.
Hard to believe that a Ford Ranger pickup could last so long. My Golf's average fuel cost since new has been about 7.3 cents a mile. Even with gasoline being at least 10% cheaper than diesel on average, your friend must have paid 12 cents/mile. That difference is money in my pocket, several thousand dollars a year.
Old April 18th, 2017, 12:57   #7687
Namakan
Veteran Member

Default Looking for Jarama 15" wheels

Does anyone have a nice set of Jarama's laying around they want to get rid of?

Namakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2017, 17:58   #7688
Curious Chris
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47/42/38

Hey MN people I have a Grey Leather seat set for a MK4 Golf. Bought it on Ebay and I have spent so much money on my car I will sell it to you just make me a reasonable offer.

I live in North Mpls so text 3202671807 and come look at it or chrisidzerda@gmail.com either way I will send you my address. I am putting it here instead of the classifieds as it is heavy. Of course I have a pickup truck and if we reach a price agreement I can put it all in the truck and deliver it
Curious Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2017, 11:14   #7689
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Great price on M1 TDT 5w40. No idea how long it will last.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-5...-gal./17128879
Old May 1st, 2017, 11:06   #7690
Namakan
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoRed View Post
Great price on M1 TDT 5w40. No idea how long it will last.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-5...-gal./17128879
I just picked up six gallons from the Burnsville location which I think were the last ones they had. My understanding is you only get this price buying online and can either pick it up or have it shipped. Should be good for about another 3 years now.

Old May 11th, 2017, 20:47   #7691
marasm

Hey, guys. I was wondering what options I had for a roof rack. I am looking for something inexpensive(ish), low profile, and preferably removable. I'd like to be able to use it for a canoe and/or a kayak, and probably a bike or two. I'd like to buy used off craigslist. Ideas?

I drive all the way to and from Fridley everyday, so I see TDIs fairly often. I see a black one between New Richmond and Stillwater most mornings. This afternoon in Mounds View some dude pulled up behind me in a gasser and started revving. It's fun to spot the TDIs.
marasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2017, 08:36   #7692
ottoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by marasm View Post
Hey, guys. I was wondering what options I had for a roof rack. I am looking for something inexpensive(ish), low profile, and preferably removable. I'd like to be able to use it for a canoe and/or a kayak, and probably a bike or two. I'd like to buy used off craigslist. Ideas?
I drive all the way to and from Fridley everyday, so I see TDIs fairly often. I see a black one between New Richmond and Stillwater most mornings. This afternoon in Mounds View some dude pulled up behind me in a gasser and started revving. It's fun to spot the TDIs.
Do you drive a sedan or wagon? On my '03 Jetta Wagon, my SUPER low cost option is to lash 2x4's perpendicular across the roof load bars. They extend about a foot wider than the car with 1" eye bolts screwed into the middle and each end. I am able to fit 2 canoes on top of them, secured with rope.
I don't have an image of my car, but it looks similar to this:
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2017, 09:05   #7693
Namakan
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marasm View Post

Here are a couple I was considering but found another solution.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/d...102781621.html

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...101227899.html

Old May 12th, 2017, 09:24   #7694
Kriesel
Veteran Member

I love my yakima and thule racks. Find a good cheap one on craigslist, double check the width.

If you get yakima Q-clips, you can get the right Q adapters from ebay. So if you find a rack that doesn't specifically mount to your car, you can get the right adapters usually.
Old May 12th, 2017, 19:57   #7695
marasm

Thanks, guys. I have the sedan, not the wagon.

This afternoon I picked up a Yakima roof rack. 48 inch bars and the Q towers. $120. It didn't come with the clips, so I will need some Q103 clips and the pads. Is this all I will need to get going?

Last edited by marasm; May 12th, 2017 at 20:04.
marasm is offline   Reply With Quote