www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Mid-west USA

Mid-west USA Local discussions for those on the Mid-West US. ( Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Kansas, Missouri)

Old October 3rd, 2014, 20:36   #6961
DWNUNDR

TDI(s): 03 Golf TDi
Fuel Economy: 43.41, 44.99, 48.64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlabel6 View Post
I'll probably be wrenching in the garage all weekend if you want to run it by. We can put our collective minds together on it.

David
Ill be working in my workshop a;; day on other cars.. but lets just say this thing wont be driving anywhere.. stalls about 3 secs after starting... and honestly Im worried about damage starting it anymore
DWNUNDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2014, 22:19   #6962
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirpuddingfoot View Post
I had good luck with Schmelz. The rusty area had to be "soft to the touch" before they would move ahead with the warranty fix.

I also had a friend succeed at West Side.
How about a fender that is missing all the metal underneath where the mudflap used to cover up?

A reminder to everyone here, take loose the rear side of your inner fenders and hose out the junk that builds up in there, mine had about twenty bazillion cubic yards of dirt, leaves and salt packed in there up against the fender and firewall.

It gets in through the cowl and holds water against the sheet metal
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2014, 02:30   #6963
greengeeker

Fuel Economy: 42.2/50.0/58.1

And I had good luck with Burnsville VW replacing mine. Didn't even need to be soft to the touch but then this was also four or so years ago.
TDIclub trusted mechanic in Minnesota - PM me
greengeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2014, 02:40   #6964
greengeeker

Fuel Economy: 42.2/50.0/58.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWNUNDR View Post
Im fixing some other cars this weekend and installing a used motor into the car that I bought the vw to replace as my commuter....... but Im new to diesels and vws and dont get into internal stuff if I can avoid it..
Th e other issue is.. right now it wont drive.. or Im scared to drive it.. it stalled 10 times.moving it 30ft into the workshop last night.. changed nothing mechanical only cleaned egr and intake.. real noisey.. not sure if maybe i now also have a vacuum leak thats causing the rough running/stalling
How nasty were the ports when you had the intake off? Maybe you had some of the crud get down between a valve and seat holding the valve open? If it were just stumbling (no noise) I would suspect too much egr flow rate choking off the engine due to either a stuck open egr valve or stopped turbine..OR you got your vacuum lines hooked up wrong and your egr valve is stuck at 100% open all the time. When you have the valve cover off next, see if all the followers are riding on the cam lobes. If you have one sitting low you may have a dead lifter or a dropped valve.
TDIclub trusted mechanic in Minnesota - PM me
greengeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2014, 06:44   #6965
DWNUNDR

the ports themselves werent to bad...

gotta think this thing through some more... got some other jobs to knock out.. then I will pull this one back in and look over it again
Old October 4th, 2014, 06:58   #6966
JFettig

Egr valve could be stuck open or something along those lines
DIY injector calibration http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=383324
JFettig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2014, 19:51   #6967
haakonpe

TDI(s): 1999 Golf
Fuel Economy: 42 MPG

Well.... Merker at Midwest Motorworks did a very good job on my Golf!

This weekend I went down to Madison WI and back. I haven't had a chance to check the MPG on the return trip, but I got 53 on the way down.

Now if I can just figure out the antilock brake pulse for no reason...
haakonpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2014, 09:14   #6968
DWNUNDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengeeker View Post
How nasty were the ports when you had the intake off? Maybe you had some of the crud get down between a valve and seat holding the valve open? If it were just stumbling (no noise) I would suspect too much egr flow rate choking off the engine due to either a stuck open egr valve or stopped turbine..OR you got your vacuum lines hooked up wrong and your egr valve is stuck at 100% open all the time. When you have the valve cover off next, see if all the followers are riding on the cam lobes. If you have one sitting low you may have a dead lifter or a dropped valve.
I tried to hold the egr valve open/closed manually while trying to start it.. no change..

wont even idle now.. whole car shakes violently...

as far as vacuum lines, there isnt too many there and the only ones I took off was to the actuator on the flapper thing (which I assume goes to the egr stuff) still figuring out names...

I am wondering if the IP is on the way out as I have never heard the lift pump run in the tank... note that I have had this car for 2 weeks and have been reading up a lot of threads trying to find similar stories etc to point me in directions to look...

Now its a matter of just towing it somewhere and having a person who KNOWS these cars do their thing..

I owned a shop but was never a trained tech.. self taught on most things but have never dived into internal stuff.. never thought it was a good idea to experiment on a customers car haha just to learn.. and never had the need till now on any of my cars to tear into things majorly...

suspension, brakes, custom exhaust, tune ups, swapping parts, welding and machining are my skill set... not engine building or electrical so I am stumped..

I pushed it out of my workshop, pushed in the honda and have started the engine swap with that so I can have at least one of the commuters running instead of driving the plow truck everyday from jordan to the UofM (40m trip each way)

if anyone in my neck of the woods wants to drop by I have a workshop and some beer.. just need opinions.. then I can make decisions...

I have the tools for the most part to do a lot of things.. just not enough knowledge....
Old October 6th, 2014, 09:25   #6969
JFettig

That is the anti-shudder valve you were probably holding shut - restricting all the airflow - definitely won't start!
DIY injector calibration http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=383324
JFettig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2014, 11:31   #6970
DWNUNDR

probably.. tried both ways didnt help haha

opinions...

SCI Performance or Good Carma as far as shops...??
Old October 6th, 2014, 12:29   #6971
merkerguitars
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 01 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 46ish

Tow it to me please I have a car dolly you can rent too if that helps.

I bought my short block cause a good carma screw up.
Your Twin Cities area TDI mechanic, can do all sorts of work with over 5 years of experience, just PM if you need service. I work at Midwest Motorworks, just give me a call at 715-381-1100 I'll be more than happy to cure your TDI Woes
merkerguitars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2014, 12:36   #6972
DWNUNDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by merkerguitars View Post
Tow it to me please I have a car dolly you can rent too if that helps.

I bought my short block cause a good carma screw up.

I live in Jordan.. 45mins south of the cities near Mankato... otherwise you were on the top of my list...

I cant get it to you while you are open... but I will see what options I have for a buddy to run it out there... I am gone next wed to the following monday but at this moment if I can get it to you I just need to know what is wrong.. if it is an easy fix that I could do, and if not whats it gonna take to fix it so then we can go from there.. most likely at this stage I just want it done and done right

not happy that I just spent 8500 buying this thing and 2 weeks later this happens.. as I am currently swapping a motor into my old commuter which this one was purchased to replace... haha so now I am $10K and back to less than square one... hahahah cant do anything but laugh right now

Last edited by DWNUNDR; October 6th, 2014 at 12:54.
Old October 6th, 2014, 14:38   #6973
Steve-o
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 58/42/32

+1 on Burnsville VW fixing rust damage. They fixed my '03 Wagon last winter. Pictures, authorization, done. Didn't even have to wave the TSB in their faces. :-)
Old October 7th, 2014, 07:18   #6974
merkerguitars
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 01 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 46ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWNUNDR View Post
I live in Jordan.. 45mins south of the cities near Mankato... otherwise you were on the top of my list...

I cant get it to you while you are open... but I will see what options I have for a buddy to run it out there... I am gone next wed to the following monday but at this moment if I can get it to you I just need to know what is wrong.. if it is an easy fix that I could do, and if not whats it gonna take to fix it so then we can go from there.. most likely at this stage I just want it done and done right

not happy that I just spent 8500 buying this thing and 2 weeks later this happens.. as I am currently swapping a motor into my old commuter which this one was purchased to replace... haha so now I am $10K and back to less than square one... hahahah cant do anything but laugh right now
I can meet you sometime at my work or you can always drop it off in front of the gate. As long as it rolls it will be fine. I'll treat you right. Worse feeling is when some other shop screws up a members car.
Your Twin Cities area TDI mechanic, can do all sorts of work with over 5 years of experience, just PM if you need service. I work at Midwest Motorworks, just give me a call at 715-381-1100 I'll be more than happy to cure your TDI Woes
merkerguitars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2014, 09:18   #6975
DWNUNDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by merkerguitars View Post
I can meet you sometime at my work or you can always drop it off in front of the gate. As long as it rolls it will be fine. I'll treat you right. Worse feeling is when some other shop screws up a members car.
as a previous shop owner I knwo the feeling even when a tech who claims they are Gods gift screws up.. you eat the cost... haha it sucks..

same as when I work on peoples cars on the side.. if one thing isnt just right when it is done I do what I can to amend it..

I just wish I knew TDis hahaha

My wife may run it out tomorrow or thursday.. will let you know