www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old October 21st, 2017, 15:31   #46
pdq import repair
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38.5

Those are actually new units. I ran upon them at an obsolete new old stock auction and bought the lot of them. I could not be picky about part number as they are what they are. I figured the 1K0 number would be close to my Jetta for fitment.

They are mostly the same units on different cars, the exhaust and mounting changing obviously. I was/am prepared to improvise as needed. The pallet is still missing, those were shots from the auction, so I still await anxiously to examine in hand. I did run the car up in the air and did a little visual planning today in anticipation.
pdq import repair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2017, 11:37   #47
marcusku
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 56/52/48

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Call and ask them.....simple no secret handshake needed
I just gave them a call and the fellow I talked to said they don't have them available for MK7's yet. He didn't anticipate getting them yet this year but he did mention that he's gotten a couple of other calls. I said there definitely is some interest out there.

Maybe it will be back to the pipe insulation for now....
Old October 24th, 2017, 06:22   #48
740GLE
Veteran Member

pipe insulation for in front of the active grill shutters, I like it. I also wear a belt and suspenders too.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2017, 15:27   #49
marcusku
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 56/52/48

MK7's don't actually have active grill shutters. I'm not aware of any VW models that do.
Old October 25th, 2017, 06:40   #50
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusku View Post
MK7's don't actually have active grill shutters. I'm not aware of any VW models that do.

Ahh crap you're right, it's the jetta gasser that has the grill shutters, my bad.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2017, 09:11   #51
clacker
Veteran Member

The cars have factory integration for the coolant heaters, you can see it with Vag-Com the ecm supports it. I would imagine it is controlled through the climate control but maybe a special remote is required. Overland had those mk5 units for a while cheap but sold out. It is pretty easy to control them with simple switch, but having factory integration is neat also. It is not easy digging for info on these units, they are not common here and even sourcing parts for them can be challenging (not many dealers).
I make my own winter fronts with a crazy carpet (plastic snow slide thing) and zip tie it on, cheap and very durable without the look of plumbing insulation, I like red on a grey car.
clacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2017, 15:06   #52
pdq import repair
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38.5

It is built into the ECU, but I don't think anything else is present on the car. I found online a VW manual for an auxiliary heater install in a Passat and they showed running harnesses and fuse panel hookups.

I have been scouring the internet to see what I need to hook up to the heaters I have to make it work and I think I do know now. It looks like constant 12 volts plus and minus to the bigger 2 wire plug, X2. 12 volt switched to the small terminal pin 1 to fire, and Pin 5 feeds the fuel pump, both in connector X1. I had hoped to bench fire it this last weekend, but ran out of time after other obligations. I better hurry, it is getting colder every day it seems.
pdq import repair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2017, 17:11   #53
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
I like it. I also wear a belt and suspenders too.
Do you really? Or do you just say that? Are you actually afraid that your pants will fall down?
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2017, 07:37   #54
clacker
Veteran Member

Fuel source? I am going to mount a small tank under the hood from a Yanmar genset, has a built in fuel filter and holds around a gallon of fuel, I do not want to mess with tapping into the fuel sending unit and have gelling issues with long lines or have to run all that hose. Now to find space for the tank where it is accessible.
I did find some good info searching parking heaters on ebay in europe, some diagrams and parts content was shown with hoses and part numbers. If you mount in the fender well you loose the benefit of the heat loss, I want to try and keep it around the transmission to warm it up and have the exhaust run under the oil pan...coiled to maximise the heat retention.
2006 smart fortwo cdi real fuel economy!
many Mercedes and VW/Audi diesel projects
clacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2017, 09:56   #55
The Tortoise
Veteran Member

General Mk7 question, how are they in the snow?

I'll be running new Blizzaks so I am not worried.

Does the traction control do a good job of getting power to spinning wheels?
The Tortoise is offline   Reply With Quote