(Former) 9W2 owners rejoice! Class Action Settlement

sfpegasus

Veteran Member
TDI
none!
I received a class action settlement claim form in the mail today.

It's called Christensen, et al. v. Volkswagen Group of America, Inc. and alleges "VWGoA's advertising and product descriptions misrepresented characteristics of the Bluetooth system in Settlement Class Vehicles."

I'll scan it and post it up next week if someone else doesn't beat me to it.

Basically, it appears that they want to reimburse those of us that upgraded by ourselves and are offering an upgrade to those still dealing with the 9W2 unit.

Note this is a proposed settlement, so YMMV.

More to follow.

https://christensensettlement.com/

Last edited:

fidracer

TDI
Golf
Now if I elect to have VW install a free upgrade, will they install 9W7 or 9W3? It doesn't say. If it's 9W3 I'd rather buy a 9W7 myself and get reimbursed.

twobilly

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI (09/09)
You folks are quick! I just read my letter this afternoon. I will rejoice just as soon as I figure out what a 9W3 and 9W7 is :D

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
I just got my letter today and wasn't aware of any concerns, much less any lawsuits.

The Bluetooth module that came on my JSW has worked perfectly fine. Unless there's some good reason to upgrade, I'm inclined to pass, and not risk a dealer botch-job of some sort.

sfpegasus

Veteran Member
TDI
none!
I just got my letter today and wasn't aware of any concerns, much less any lawsuits.

The Bluetooth module that came on my JSW has worked perfectly fine. Unless there's some good reason to upgrade, I'm inclined to pass, and not risk a dealer botch-job of some sort.
It's just a swap of the module under the passenger seat. But I suppose they could botch it.

My upgrade added voice control and phonebook entries in the MFD.

Last edited:

sfpegasus

Veteran Member
TDI
none!
Now if I elect to have VW install a free upgrade, will they install 9W7 or 9W3? It doesn't say. If it's 9W3 I'd rather buy a 9W7 myself and get reimbursed.
gotta do it quick!

The settlement docs on the website detail the upgrade part number, but a quick search didn't turn up anything.

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
havent gotten anything in the mail yet. maybe Tuesday *(with holidays and all)
look like next few weeks will be busy ones for me:
1. fuel line recall
2. ill try to get Iced Up Intercooler TSB done
3. BT recall.
4. and i just past 36,000 miles today.

o and my car was damaged 2 weeks ago, so have to get that fixed up as well.

so what will be new for me after this swap? which BT do i have?
i have 2010 TDI 5dr 6MT. i qualify right?

Timujin

Veteran Member
TDI
14 T-Reg
Got this letter yesterday. I'll submit my claim.

Last edited:

sunkid

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen DSG TDI
I don't think they could put in the 9W3 to replace a 9W2 because you would lose the streaming capability, no?

I found this place that sells the 9W7 for $275, but I am confused as to how much plug-and-play it really is for my 2010 Sportwagen TDI (no GPS). Anyone know?

adamgoldberg

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sportswagen
The documents are all available at www.christensensettlement.com...

If you've paid out-of-pocket for a 9W3 or a 9W7, they'll reimburse you. If not, you can get a "Bluetooth Upgrade Kit" installed, free.

It seems entirely unclear whether the "Upgrade Kit" is likely to be a 9W3 or a 9W7. The 2011 TDI Sportwagen has the 9W7 standard, so one would hope...

But I'm really tempted to buy a 9W7 ASAP and install it to be sure that's what I end up with. Deadline is FAST to do this (15 days after the notice was MAILED, and OP received it 12/30, which means it was mailed no later than 12/29, giving 1/12 or 1/13/12 as the must-have-done-it deadline).

Anyone know of a source for the 9W7 that has it in stock?

slk23

TDI
2010 Golf TDI (sold back to VW)

sunkid

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen DSG TDI
This page may help:
Bluetooth FAQ for mk5 and mk6 VW Jetta sedans, wagons, and Golf

BTW, the store you linked to is out of stock of the 9W7.
I had seen that FAQ before but am still not clear on whether I need the two wires when going from 9W2 to 9W7, although this page doesn't mention them. It does seem that I would need the software tweak to get voice control though.

I could swear that place I linked to still had modules in stock when I tried this morning... maybe I am imagining things though ;)

balocco211

TDI
2005 Wolfsburg TDI JSW; 2010 Poblano TDI JSW
Just sent mine!

Also included a copy of a case # and response letter from VWoA. (Opened case three days after taking purchase)

zeuloa

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta SportWagen
Moderators can this become a Sticky until it's all said and done?

Thanks!

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
Got mine yesterday, it will be in the mail 1-3-12.

Here is the listing from the brochure

Last edited:

mysql

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagon
how did you guys get notified automatically about this?

I purchased my 2010 jsw in jan 2010, no notification.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
^^I just received my letter yesterday in the mail. It comes with your vin# printed right on the documents.

itchytweed

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
Mine came in the mail Saturday. It gets mailed back on Monday. This just after I had my #2 injector line replaced under the recall and the dealer told me that they had a vehicle in a couple of day ago whose line was leaking, FWIW.

About others queries, I would think that you should not lose any of the abilities that you have now, i.e. streaming, as that will result in a loss of functionality and I hope that the settlement covers installation of the 9W7 module.

Plus, IIRC, there will have to be a coding changes to allow for the proper operation or replacement of additional modules to achieve the proper functionality.

Now to find out what is going on with the Texas lawsuit about the "infamous" HPFP failures.

VW is getting hammered here and they brought it on themselves. Maybe they need a german translation of "The Cluetrain Manifesto" and get a clue.

adamgoldberg

TDI
About others queries, I would think that you should not lose any of the abilities that you have now, i.e. streaming, as that will result in a loss of functionality and I hope that the settlement covers installation of the 9W7 module.
That would be my guess as well, but it's sure not clear from the proposed settlement agreement.

BTW, in case you're interested ... the case is on PACER at https://ecf.ilnd.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/DktRpt.pl?248414 (if you have or want to get a PACER account), and cached at http://ia700206.us.archive.org/14/i...d.248414/gov.uscourts.ilnd.248414.docket.html. The Amended Complaint is archived at http://ia700206.us.archive.org/14/items/gov.uscourts.ilnd.248414/gov.uscourts.ilnd.248414.29.0.pdf.

sgoldste01

Veteran Member
TDI
None; Replaced 2010 Golf TDI with 2012 Subaru Impreza 5-door with manual tranny
If I recall correctly, don't you lose the functionality of the green LED on the overhead console if upgrading from 9W2 to 9W7?

Also, in order to stream audio in stereo (like Pandora), don't you need to do some wiring modification?

itchytweed

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
If I recall correctly, don't you lose the functionality of the green LED on the overhead console if upgrading from 9W2 to 9W7?

Also, in order to stream audio in stereo (like Pandora), don't you need to do some wiring modification?
If the LED is lost, the phone should tell you that it is paired. Streaming is done by the A2DP protocol. The phone receives the stream and then puts it out over BT when the adapter is engaged.

Props to adamgoldberg for posting the court documents. Now as curiosity is killing the cat, I wonder what is going on with the HPFP case - Beall v. VWoA, civil action 4:11-CV-484 in the Houston division of US District Court / Texas Southern District.

adamgoldberg

TDI
Props to adamgoldberg for posting the court documents. Now as curiosity is killing the cat, I wonder what is going on with the HPFP case - Beall v. VWoA, civil action 4:11-CV-484 in the Houston division of US District Court / Texas Southern District.
Beall v. VWoA: (https://ecf.txsd.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/DktRpt.pl?863954, or http://www.archive.org/download/gov.uscourts.txsd.863954/gov.uscourts.txsd.863954.docket.html)

SCHEDULING ORDER. Trial Term: May/June 2013. ETT: 3 weeks. Jury trial. Amended Pleadings due by 8/1/2012. Joinder of Parties due by 12/1/2011 Pltf Expert Witness List due by 8/1/2012. Deft Expert Witness List due by 9/15/2012. Discovery due by 12/31/2012. Dispositive Motion Filing due by 2/1/2013. Non-Dispositive Motion Filing due by 2/1/2013. Joint Pretrial Order due by 4/15/2013. (Signed by Magistrate Judge Stephen Wm Smith) Parties notified. (jmarchand) (Entered: 08/24/2011)

A protective order (which assures that we generally aren't able to read the details, argh!) was adopted 11/1/11.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
If the LED is lost, the phone should tell you that it is paired. Streaming is done by the A2DP protocol. The phone receives the stream and then puts it out over BT when the adapter is engaged.

Go Beall!!! It would be so sweet if VW would be forced to or simply decide it was in their best interest to cover the HPFP in some kind of extended coverage. I would be so relieved, and thrilled to keep my beloved Golf TDI for as long as possible.

Regarding the LED, you don't need it at all with the 9W7 replacement of the 9W2 in a 2010 Golf TDI. There are plenty of indications that your phone is paired. For example, just press the phone button on the steering wheel and in the MFD you get the name of the phone, the battery charge, bars for reception, and I think something for bluetooth too if that is on your phone. I also get an indication on my touchscreen with the RNS510 nav system, but I don't know what happens with the regular RCD510 radio. My phone also shows the status as the link is initiated or dropped.

Also, the 9W7 has stereo bluetooth streaming just like the 9W2 in a 2010 Golf TDI. In addition, note that no coding is required for the 9W7 to work in a Golf TDI, unless you want the microphone button on the steering wheel to initiate the voice controls. I chose not to enable that function, because I like that the button simply mutes my stereo for convenience. I still have the overhead button to initiate the voice control, with no coding required. The only coding I had done was to add a shop number for the new 9W7 unit. I think it is blank and may leave an error in a scan, if you don't add a shop number. My friend just used the old shop number from the 9W2 and there were no issues.

Happy New Year!

BrianinNH

TDI
2010Sprotwagen
Got my letter this Saturday in the mail, my friend in FL had not recieved his as of yesterday. I had done nothing so I will go for the update by a VW dealer. Sure it will not be until late spring before the litigation is final, remember the court has preapproved most of the action between the parties. Then we should recieve our instructions to get the upgrade. Got to imagine that the unit will be hard to get with all of us coming in at the same time. It should be interesting!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

sgoldste01

Veteran Member
TDI
None; Replaced 2010 Golf TDI with 2012 Subaru Impreza 5-door with manual tranny
Regarding the LED, you don't need it at all with the 9W7 replacement of the 9W2 in a 2010 Golf TDI. There are plenty of indications that your phone is paired. For example, just press the phone button on the steering wheel and in the MFD you get the name of the phone, the battery charge, bars for reception, and I think something for bluetooth too if that is on your phone. I also get an indication on my touchscreen with the RNS510 nav system, but I don't know what happens with the regular RCD510 radio. My phone also shows the status as the link is initiated or dropped.

Also, the 9W7 has stereo bluetooth streaming just like the 9W2 in a 2010 Golf TDI. In addition, note that no coding is required for the 9W7 to work in a Golf TDI, unless you want the microphone button on the steering wheel to initiate the voice controls. I chose not to enable that function, because I like that the button simply mutes my stereo for convenience. I still have the overhead button to initiate the voice control, with no coding required. The only coding I had done was to add a shop number for the new 9W7 unit. I think it is blank and may leave an error in a scan, if you don't add a shop number. My friend just used the old shop number from the 9W2 and there were no issues.
Thanks for the detailed response. When you say "shop number", do you mean the phone number of the dealership? And what do you mean by "may leave an error in a scan"?