Quirky 6M

bruce846

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDI's
Anyone with a 6M noticed if you inadvertently push dow on the shift lever when making the 1st/2nd shift you will catch a little reverse on the way... or am I a clutz?

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
bruce846 said:
Anyone with a 6M noticed if you inadvertently push dow on the shift lever when making the 1st/2nd shift you will catch a little reverse on the way... or am I a clutz?
Don't rest the weight of your hand on the gearshift.....

Bill

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
bruce846 said:

You're a klutz... I'm guessing this is your first VW? You'll get used to it. :)

flylow2

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 White Gold JSW TDI 6M (build date 23Feb10)
how do you catch reverse on the 1st to 2nd shift? Reverse is to the left of first. You have to go down, over, then up to catch reverse. I also find I push down a bit when shifting ocassionally but it does not cause any problems.

PlaneJob

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
Fly low, I think he's catching, what might be described as, the 'edge of the gate' for the initial movement to the left when selecting reverse. (I just went out and tried this on my car to see).

OP, use the armrest to hold your arm and hand up! When you put weight on the shifter you can cause abnormal wear, when in gear or out of gear. Shift with your fingers. Avoid the baseball inspired death grip and hold it lightly, like you would hold a toothbrush...

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
I don't snag the gate, but I would almost kill for stiffer centering springs for the shifter.

bruce846

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDI's
flylow2 said:
how do you catch reverse on the 1st to 2nd shift? Reverse is to the left of first. You have to go down, over, then up to catch reverse. I also find I push down a bit when shifting ocassionally but it does not cause any problems.
PlaneJob got it right.