Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
LibertyHead said:
Fly,

Thanks as well for posting about going the extra mile with the balance of the lightened flywheel/Cover.
Ques though:
When did you purchase yours?
As I'm of the understanding that the disk and Flywheel combos has been revised over the past couple of years to be even quieter.
(ie. They now use a Sachs 14lb. instead of a Eurospec, same with 21? etc..)
Approximately how many miles on this setup?
Why the Rosten shim between the crank and FW?
(Wouldn't that increase the noise factor?)
I'd figure you'd want the bulk of the mass in direct contact with the crank itself to absorb this.
Mine's an early one so I'm sure I have the first flywheel offering (Eurospec?). As I posted earlier, I have over 50k miles on mine. The Rosten shim is a diamond embedded, micron thin shim that's supposed to bed the crank and flywheel rock solid. I didn't put a lot of faith in it but thought it good insurance and it wasn't a lot of money. I'll try and post a video demonstrating the rattle so you have some idea of the noise level. It doesn't bother me but quiet would be better.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Do you have a clutch similar to the stage 1 which I can use in a BHW longitudinal B5.5 Passat manual conversion? I was pleased with the last clutch I got from you. PM me

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
We expect to very soon. Have been on the road a bunch and haven't been able to update the site. A few kits went out over the last couple weeks. A pallet of kits is currently under construction. Stage 2's are quickest to go out. Anyone that sees this in a month likely has nothing to worry about :)
Cheers,
-BB

BleachedBora

TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Depends on how you look at it. They are currently marked up 10%. We've added features over the years since they were originally released that were not in the original pricing which has made the latest version significantly better than the first.

Today is the 6 year anniversary of the release of DC clutches. We've sold probably a thousand of them in that time. Still, they are priced every day as competitively as possible.

In the near future we will release another option for a solid billet flywheel, made in the USA. Right now these kits go through a 5 step QC process. Each kit is fully balanced with the kit to the flywheel, which is something the competition does not do. In fact I have some pics from a customer that couldn't wait, went to a well known competitor and decided to check the balance:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Like my new swiss cheese flywheel?
Also check out what they had to add to (the)pressure plate...

Of the builds I've done, This is by far the most extreme out-of-balance..

Even the crank needed a little tweaking.

LOL! I AM SOO GLAD I decided to do this..
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

He sent me pics, but everyone would know which builder it is if I posted them, and I'm not out to knock any specific manufacturer, just to point out some of the many things that sets DC apart from the competition. Most are trade secrets, but are nonetheless neat and innovative.

Sometimes there is a wait to get a DC kit - but almost everyone that does get one reports back that the wait is worth it.
-BB

[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

BleachedBora

TDI
And a 1600 lb pallet of DC clutches was just unloaded - all are stage 1 and 2's for MK4 and MK5, as well as 02M 6-speed clutches! All backorders are being filled.

Linings for stage III and IV are still on global backorder, we're working on getting those as soon as possible.

Cheers!
-BB

BleachedBora

TDI
He's done a few B5 Passat kits - how fast do you need one? Fire me an email and we'll work it out :)
Thanks!
-BB

Shello

TDI
2003 jetta 1.9
Im in desperate need for a stage 3 clutch kit for my ALH Jetta in april if possible?

Riflesmith

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI 6M, 2015 Golf TDI 6A
I have been running a DC Stage II clutch in my wagon since 1/30/15. I find it excellent in every way. Less pedal effort than stock, extremely smooth engagement, absolutely no gear clatter in neutral. If you are on the fence about a clutch, get a DC!

I have years of successful experience with a South Bend OFE in my Dodge Cummins pickup, so I am not biased against their offerings.

No affiliation with Bora Parts or Cascade German Parts. Just a very satisfied customer.

BleachedBora

TDI
Thanks Rifle! And Shello it shouldn't be a problem to have a stage III to you by then. We've had the stage III on backorder for longer than I want to admit, but it's looking like end of this month that should clear up :)
Cheers!
-BB

Shello

TDI
2003 jetta 1.9
Ill do what ever it takes for u to reserve one for me for april like a deposit if necessary ?

BleachedBora

TDI
The 10% was back in 2008 when we released them. We've done about 5 revisions since then. The unfortunate thing is we cannot edit thread titles once they hit. We have them priced as competitively as we can.

DC is one of a few, if not the only, remaining clutch manufacturer in the US that is sticking with German & US sourced clutch raw materials. It's one of the main things that sets them apart from other manufacturers.

There will shortly be an option for a billet flywheel by popular demand. We've been sending them out in various kits to try for the last few months.

I have stage I and II kits on the shelf, more-so for MK5 than MK4, but they are both in stock right now. Stage III, IV and V will be coming shortly.

If you want to reserve a kit but not pay for it yet just order on the site and choose check or money order, put in the notes when you anticipate needing it and we'll do our best to accommodate.

We also have 02Q, 02M and 01E kits.
-BB

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Can anyone provide metrics on pedal pressure for the various clutches?

I'm doing research before I encounter an immediate need to do a clutch job. The stock clutch is a bit on the stiff side for my wife. Up until I ran across these DC clutches (stage I and stage II?) I only have found the LuK 17-050 as something that holds promise (only noted anecdotally). To complicate things, I am anticipating bumping up the nozzle sizing (DLC 520 or 1090) along with an 1.5 or 2 tune: the 2 tune, of course, necessitates a stronger clutch than stock (or the LuK?).

Priushater

TDI
99.5 Jetta ALH
Hi everyone I'm new here on TDI club, after a pleasant experience with Aaron at Bora parts with my new DC stage II clutch I figured would post here to help others that may be on the fence like I was.

I will start by saying my car had some cheapo yet to be identified performance clutch with 14 lb SMF when I bought it, looks like an ebay special. It was awful,rattled like crazy in neutral,really grabby hard to take off without bucking and shuttering but surprisingly held the 300 ft-lb at the wheels for 40k.

Ok so onto the DC stage II for comparison. First off it looks like all Sachs stuff with a modified Sachs pressure plate so good stuff.
I have only put 600 miles on the kit so far but I am very happy, engagement is really smooth so much better then before and with the balanced 21lb flywheel the car is a whole new animal much smoother putting through town or lugging along behind some a**hole in a Prius no longer vibrates my fillings out.
Pedal effort is about like the old clutch I can't comment compared to stock I never drove the car with the stock clutch, but I can say I thought it would be heavier.

it seems to hold the power great and yes ITS SILENT which is really nice

BleachedBora

TDI
Thanks Prius!
Gritting our teeth on stage III linings, we've been trying to see where they are as vendor assured us they were in transit :(

panthers89fan90

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI

I'm starting to look at clutches and don't really know what I need. I don't want to go overkill and spend more money than necessary because I'm on a budget, but I want something that will last. I guess I'm torn on getting a new clutch because my old one that has over 200k miles hasn't given me a problem. I put dlc1019s in and want to get a tune eventually. Should I wait until my old clutch goes out or upgrade now not knowing how long I have left on this clutch. If upgrading, what stage do you recommend?

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm starting to look at clutches and don't really know what I need. I don't want to go overkill and spend more money than necessary because I'm on a budget, but I want something that will last. I guess I'm torn on getting a new clutch because my old one that has over 200k miles hasn't given me a problem. I put dlc1019s in and want to get a tune eventually. Should I wait until my old clutch goes out or upgrade now not knowing how long I have left on this clutch. If upgrading, what stage do you recommend?
I'm in a soon-to-be similar situation in that I'm likely going to be going with the dlc1019s and a Stage 1.5 or 2 Malone tune AND both my cars have stock clutches which are fine. My clutches, however, don't have as many miles (122k and 150k miles). If I were in the 200k vicinity I'd probably look to do performance upgrades and stash money away for a new clutch, driving conservatively (enjoying increased mileage, which could help in saving for the new clutch:D). Actually, this is likely the route I'm going to take anyway: biggest issues for me is trying to manage things like this for two cars.

I wish to follow your adventures on this!

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Bora Parts, seeing as you sell the clutches can you provide some metrics on pedal pressure for them (for myself I'm concerned with I and II only) as compared to stock? Again, I am concerned about this because I have my (diminutive) wife to take into consideration: it wouldn't be a big issue if only for myself.

Vindiesel6

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Golf GLS TDI & 2015 Q5 TDI
Bora Parts, seeing as you sell the clutches can you provide some metrics on pedal pressure for them (for myself I'm concerned with I and II only) as compared to stock? Again, I am concerned about this because I have my (diminutive) wife to take into consideration: it wouldn't be a big issue if only for myself.
Refer to the first page of this thread, post #5 for pedal pressure info...

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Refer to the first page of this thread, post #5 for pedal pressure info...
Ah, thanks! Not sure how I missed it!

Looks like the 1 & 2 come in about 30% stiffer than stock? Odd graduations up to 500 (compared to the rest on the dial).

Status
Not open for further replies.