turn rear blinkers into SOLID amber lights?

wrightwinger

TDI
jsw
I want a form of rear fog lights for use in intense rain.
I've been in rain where cars cannot be seen without their brake lights, flasher lights, or rear fog lights.

I'm wondering if their is a simple way to make the rear amber blinkers stay solid (except have them blink when using the signal).

It would be like the amber trail lights on the jeep in Jurassic Park when it's being chased by the T-rex.

I have vagcom, I was wondering if anyone knows how to do this. Or at least have better terminology to help me search.

I don't know the legality of trail lights, or amber rear fog lights on US roads. But this is for those extraordinary circumstances.

it's a mkvi JSW

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
What kind of car do you have?

You know that every Jetta sold in the us from 85 to 05 has the position in the rear lights for a (red) rear fog lamp, and for the newer cars you can replace the whole fixture with one from a euro market car to get the rear fog lamp?

If you have a Mk4 Jetta wagon, the turn signal is actually in the rear fog lamp position of the lens now. The un-used portion of the lens is where the turn signal goes IIRC. There are how-tos posted for wiring it up.

wrightwinger

TDI
jsw
I'm sorry, I forgot to mention what type of car. Its a 14 Jetta sportwagon.

I know what most people do is replace a reverse light with a rear foglight, but I need 2 reverse lights.

The 15's or newer, i would just order a european taillight set (plus they have amber turn signals which are safer).

My other idea is using a brake light that could fit into the hitch. But I'm not sure how to wire that to act as a rear fog, and haven't seen any brake lights that go in 1,1/4" hitches yet.