Purchased 2010 Golf TDI January 2018

shmeeshma

TDI
2010 VW Golf TDI
I purchased a 2010 VW Golf TDI in January 2018.

I am a new VW owner, and was unaware of the Emission Scandal until after purchase.

The car is on a loan through TD, I owe approximately $13,800.

The car has approximately 130,000 kms.

According to the claims portal, I am eligible for Approved Emissions Modification & Extended Emissions Warranty (if approved by regulators)and an estimated total of $2550.00 of damage returns.

What is the everyones thoughts on going through with the emission modification? Will that affect my gas mileage? Right now I'm getting about 950 kms to a tank.

Are these cars okay to just keep and drive, or should I be worried about the future? I bought it with the intentions of keeping it for its whole life, and now I'm getting worried and wondering if I should trade it in?

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I would recommend that you get the modification done ... partly to get some money back, but largely because you will get a warranty for about 4 years 80,000 km which covers a couple of components that are particularly expensive if they fail ... the HPFP (high pressure fuel pump), and the DPF (diesel particulate filter).

Fuel consumption shouldn't change by more than a couple percent (statistical noise).

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Those that bought after the BB were announced are still able to cash in on the fix?

Thought those owners when BB were announced were the only ones able to register. Maybe Canada is different.

My_name_is_Rob

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 A4 Quattro
Did you buy it privately, or used from a dealer? If it came from a dealer, I would think that the fix had already been done, since I think they were only allowed to resell the cars after they had been 'fixed'.

I also have to ask, have you been under a rock for the past 2.5 years? To find out about the emission thing this late, after it has been in the news for so long seems crazy. Plus it likely would have shown up during pre purchase research, but I digress. Different strokes...

Are these cars okay to just keep and drive, or should I be worried about the future? I bought it with the intentions of keeping it for its whole life, and now I'm getting worried and wondering if I should trade it in?
Has the car been fine since you bought it? Because nothing really has changed at all between since when you bought it, and now.

But if you want to change up, and it is a standard and a sunroof I would take it off your hands. For blowout pricing of course, so you don't have to deal with the scandals at VW anymore. :D

shmeeshma

TDI
2010 VW Golf TDI
I would recommend that you get the modification done ... partly to get some money back, but largely because you will get a warranty for about 4 years 80,000 km which covers a couple of components that are particularly expensive if they fail ... the HPFP (high pressure fuel pump), and the DPF (diesel particulate filter).

Fuel consumption shouldn't change by more than a couple percent (statistical noise).

Thank you! I agree with you, that sounds like a fair trade. Haha!

shmeeshma

TDI
2010 VW Golf TDI
Did you buy it privately, or used from a dealer? If it came from a dealer, I would think that the fix had already been done, since I think they were only allowed to resell the cars after they had been 'fixed'.
I also have to ask, have you been under a rock for the past 2.5 years? To find out about the emission thing this late, after it has been in the news for so long seems crazy. Plus it likely would have shown up during pre purchase research, but I digress. Different strokes...
Has the car been fine since you bought it? Because nothing really has changed at all between since when you bought it, and now.
But if you want to change up, and it is a standard and a sunroof I would take it off your hands. For blowout pricing of course, so you don't have to deal with the scandals at VW anymore. :D
I did buy it from a used car dealership in Calgary: Calgary Auto Quest. They said everything was good on the pre purchase and all that stuff but I guess they avoided fixing this - as I talked with the Canadian Claims Portal and they ran the VIN and this vehicle is still eligible.

I guess I have been living under a rock! Hahaha live and learn. :eek:

My_name_is_Rob

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 A4 Quattro
I did buy it from a used car dealership in Calgary: Calgary Auto Quest. They said everything was good on the pre purchase and all that stuff but I guess they avoided fixing this - as I talked with the Canadian Claims Portal and they ran the VIN and this vehicle is still eligible.
I guess I have been living under a rock! Hahaha live and learn. :eek:
Well, if that's the case and VW determines that you're still eligible, then it seems like a pretty good chunk to go against your loan for getting the fix.

As for mileage after the fix, there is a couple of different threads on here that should have some answers for you. It seems that most of the time the mileage didn't really change, but then again not everyone's results are the same.

shmeeshma

TDI
2010 VW Golf TDI
Well, if that's the case and VW determines that you're still eligible, then it seems like a pretty good chunk to go against your loan for getting the fix.
As for mileage after the fix, there is a couple of different threads on here that should have some answers for you. It seems that most of the time the mileage didn't really change, but then again not everyone's results are the same.

That's what I've been reading, mixed reviews but majority doesn't notice a huge difference. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it!