Paranoid?

HBRD_KLR

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6M
I am just looking for a opinion.
I guess I am paranoid after my HPFP failure couple weeks ago and maybe hearing stuff that don't exist.

I first started to hear it a week ago in my garage, I noticed it because it was very distinguishable sound and it caught my attention.

No codes on my OBD, car drives fine without problems and I cant hear it inside the cabin while driving.

The sounds is like a pump/suction.........

Please let me know what you think. I did make an appointment on Friday to have it checked out.

Thanks.

http://youtu.be/ycOgNzmAbac

http://youtu.be/jcWz1TfaDIo

http://youtu.be/V9sxoIWh3Yo

http://youtu.be/hWPabqGcoRw

ss2nv

TDI
2014 Passat SELP
I am new to TDI's and diesels in general, but I can tell you that my 2014 Passat TDI does not sound like that.

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
Take it to the Dealer ASAP.

That is beyond "running rough in cold weather" sound.

Something must be loose. Do you smell any exhaust gasses?

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
Sounds more like an exhaust leak or loose injector
Can you smell raw fuel or see I there's anything else wrong?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
It sounds to me like a manifold leak (not sure whether intake or exhaust) with the telltale "chuffing," especially when you shut the engine off. Do you smell any exhaust? I'd have it towed to the dealer as soon as possible.

It is possible that they didn't tight something up completely when they worked on your car the last time.

HBRD_KLR

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6M
I haven't noticed anything else unusual about the car (exhaust / fuel smell)
I'll be going to the dealer first thing in the morning.

HBRD_KLR

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6M
Absolutely,
Thanks for your input guys. Sometimes I feel like I am paranoid about stuff...I will update everyone as soon as find out what's up.

TurboDieselPoint

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6-Speed Manual
You are not being paranoid. That is not a normal sound, and certainly should be diagnosed.

It is most likely an exhaust leak caused by a mistake during the repair of the car. But, maybe it is something as simple as a leak at the vacuum pump? Do any of you think the sound could be caused by the vacuum pump? The vacuum pump is on the driver's side, where the sound seems louder in your video.

HBRD_KLR

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6M
Just got a call from the dealer.
They checked the noise and claim that it's a throwout bearing in the clutch.

$1100.00 to repair. Extended warranty won't cover it.

FML

dst5

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 2013 TDI
Any clutch problem and they try to say it is a wear item. I have 50K on my 2013 TDI with manual.

detroitmike

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat DSG
you bought an extended warranty and still have the powertrain warranty?

I'd be on the phone with VW of Amer. having a fit. Especially if you just got it back from pump grenading on you.

HBRD_KLR

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6M
I'm at 51k
It's not covered becuase it's considered a wear and tear clutch component.

I have opened up a case with VWoA.

I could possibly understand if it was a clutch... I have a 02 sentra stick and other than the clutch (stage 2) that I had installed I haven't had a problem with it.......

Two weeks ago it was HPFP, now this..... Cmon..

Last edited:

jaymzaugust

TDI
2009 Jetta
Just got a call from the dealer.
They checked the noise and claim that it's a throwout bearing in the clutch.

$1100.00 to repair. Extended warranty won't cover it.

FML

Nawww.... this isn't right. First, I'd hope that powertrain warranty covers the throwout bearing... it's not like the clutch plate itself needs replaced from excess slipage. What is the current mileage on the car?

Also, does the noise change sounds when you press the clutch pedal in and out? If not, I'd be willing to bet its not the throwout bearing. Even though your car is at the dealer right now, you would have remembered/keyed in on this fact. It's been awhile and I'm a bit fuzzy on the subject, but I always thought bad throwout bearings made the most racket when you pressed the clutch IN....

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
Sounds fishy.

I still think it is something they forgot to tighten when they replaced your entire fuel system (which is what an HPFP failure requires, since you don't have the MICRON-gizmo installed).

By the way, from the first 16 second video, I see that the noise comes from the engine with no one on board.

Last edited:

jaymzaugust

TDI
2009 Jetta
I'm at 51k

No change in noise when clutch is being engaged.

Hey thats great news! Its not the throw-out bearing or the pilot bearing in the transmission then.

It was tough to tell on your videos, but that chuffing sure sounded like an air leak of some kind. Boost pipes, loose air box, maybe a bad anti-shudder valve? Don't know for sure. Maybe have a buddy record some audio while you accelarate away from a dead stop, basically putting the engine under load...

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
This is one reason I don't like extended warranties. So often the problems that you run into are going to be wear and tear issues, rather than defects thus the warranties won't cover it.

You aren't paranoid at all, I have to get my car in for help immediately after weird sounds start.

The noise from this video at the start is like yours though, so bad throwout bearing could be right.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn1tM5a10Ec

Another very similar sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLevyc4Eo9I

Last edited:

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
Any gurus local to you? It may be worth a few bucks and help your position when dealing with the dealer. Good luck, John

HBRD_KLR

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6M
I talked to the dealer again to confirm the problem. I informed them that I have opened the case up with VWoA and they should wait for a phone call from them.

HBRD_KLR

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6M
I am not really concerned with dealing with the dealer as their support has been second to none when it comes to repairs/customer service. They acknowledged that VWoA case has been opened and will stand by awaiting the phone call and further directions. They even confirmed that in my situation opening the case was the way to go.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Well I'll be... I guess i've never actually heard a bad throwout bearing before. Very interesting.

ss2nv

TDI
2014 Passat SELP
I could be totally wrong here, but that just doesn't sound like a throwout bearing to me. The sound on your car "pulses" with the piston strokes. When I had throwout bearing noise on my Camaro (admittedly a different animal) , it was a constant, sometimes undulating whirring noise that went away when the clutch was depressed.

HBRD_KLR

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6M
Deep down there i am not convinced that it is what they say it is. I don't know to be honest. The clutch felt good, no extra noise when engaging the clutch. The car drove fine. I was seriously expecting to be a loose hose etc. Never the thought came thru my mind that it would be a throwout bearing.
I do have to say, after doing some research online today at work I did find couple posts that have "throwout bearing" and "pulsating clutch feel" in same post.
I have had the pulsating /heart beat feel in my clutch since the purchase, I brought it up to the dealer I bought the vehicle from and was assured that that's normal with TDIs. Stupid me a newbie to TDIs never followed up in that matter.
I wonder if those two are related.

Last edited:

kulak

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat NMS
50% off doesn't seem like much of a deal to me on the cost of a throwout bearing you don't need.