Recommend used laptop to run VAG-Com? (was: can Mac run ......)

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, Candy White
Since the answers so far say "use a DOS machine for VAG-COM" I changed the subjec to get suggestions.

WAS: I am thinking of getting a ibook (Apple laptop). Anyone have luck using IBM emulation software in a MAC? And..also, would the ibook have the needed serial connector (or are serial connectors just an IBM thing)?

thanks

[ September 19, 2002, 20:15: Message edited by: DEZLBOY ]

Vroom

Veteran Member
TDI
mrrobmora
There's some info about this on the Ross-tech webpage... last time I looked, Uwe said he hasn't heard of anybody getting it to work on a Mac.

Pseudobrit

Veteran Member
TDI
-
The iBook has Ethernet, dual USB and single Firewire connection. Macs for the most part got rid of the XX pin connections a good while ago, along with the antiquated floppy drive.

You could theoretically use Virtual PC with a USB- or Ethernet-to-serial connector, but by the time all is said and done there's a scant chance in hell you'd have a working solution. I'm thinking of buying a $300 eBay laptop for the job after awhile.
It would make me feel yucky though.

nuke

Veteran Member
I got it to work using VPC on a G4 Tibook and a Keyspan USB-Serial adaptor.

But that being said, I bought an obsolete Fujitsu tablet computer with a 100 mhz Pentium chip and 32 megs of ram for the Vag com.

It was very cheap, still new in the box with all the accessories and a carrying case + a 12V power adaptor, for basically the cost of Virtual PC and a Windows license. The tablet is easier to handle in the car anyway.

All you need is about 100 mhz, 32 megs of ram and W95 to run a vag-com. A low-end Pentium or even a 486DX2 can handle it. That's prime low-cost ebay territory.

Since VPC with Windows 9x is about $170 and a USB-Serial thing is about $30, might as well just hunt a crappy $200 PC.

C Brown

Veteran Member
I have a Thinkpad 760 series for just this purpose, unfourtounatly my model has to use an inverter to get enough power from the serial port, to run the vag-com.

Inverters though, are very cheap at Kmart for instatnce (20-30 bucks) almost bought one were so cheap, check in the car audio section (just guessing they are being discontinued).

CB&Stoker

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
Originally posted by C Brown:
I have a Thinkpad 760 series for just this purpose, unfourtounatly my model has to use an inverter to get enough power from the serial port, to run the vag-com."
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Can you elaborate? I think you mean the laptop has to provide enuf power on the serial port to run the vag-com cable/interface? But, what is an invertor??

Griffen wrote his IBM Thinkpad 760el works fine. Is yours a different type?

thanks.

[ September 19, 2002, 20:13: Message edited by: DEZLBOY ]

strretch

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
A power inverter is a little box that you plug into the cigarette lighter that provides alternating current for appliances like laptops and coffee makers and crock pots. Very useful things.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Scott,

I have a used NEC versa 6060 that I'm selling. Email me for details and pricing.

Lito

Griffin

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2000, Green
12V adapter for IBM thinkpad around $25 on eBay. I got my whole set up for $200 including shipping.
All you need is a short piece of 2x4 to put on the passenger seat so you can read the laptop level while driving. (Not that I wouldn't follow the recomended 2 persons per the VW manual for safety.
)

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
Originally posted by tongsli:
I have a used NEC versa 6060 that I'm selling.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Lito...consider it sold. See my email reply. Thanks.