What size are the torx screws in the rear hatch mechanism?

dclark

Veteran Member
I have a '03 wagon with a hatch that won't latch and want to remove it, but don't what size tool it'll take to remove those two bolts. For that matter, the pitch looks pretty small to be a torx head- what does it take to remove them?

bbarbulo

Veteran Member
triple square, probably an 8mm but i'm not 100% sure. it's the same ones i think that are used on the door latch mechanism. just buy a set of triple squares since they're used quite a bit on these cars.

KlausAuder

TDI
The official name should be "pain in the a55" nothing better than stripping a bolt with a torx head then finding out zee Germans have a different idea.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
If you can't tell the difference between a Torx and a Triple Square, maybe you shouldn't be doing your own work...;)

The official name should be "pain in the a55" nothing better than stripping a bolt with a torx head then finding out zee Germans have a different idea.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Nothing like a newbie replying to a thread that's been dormant for literally a decade, to complain about using the wrong tool.

KlausAuder

TDI
Nothing like a newbie replying to a thread that's been dormant for literally a decade, to complain about using the wrong tool.
What can I say....2011 car that I bought 8 years ago,the boot latch broke last week.Hence the dormant decade.Thankfully I can rely on the advice of other forum users who are keen to share their knowledge.Lets be honest a set of sockets & 2 types of screwdriver would be easier?