03 Wagon hit, ins wants to total. Need advice!

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
03 Wagon rear door hit, Rebuildable - SELLING AS IS WITH MANY PARTS

So here's the damage:
https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZDq6n7ZS9mQikQ9CaSI0kwPG3k808ONVXek
Hit while not moving, by a wanker in a Toyota Tundra that was lifted 3" and had stupid oversized tires. About 15mph hit. Went right over the bumper and into my door.
My wagon is very much driveable, and I've already gotten the door open and replaced the rear door, it was only jammed by the plastic of the bumper cover. But it doesn't fit right yet b/c the door sill got shoved downward. I've got a cut-off sill from a junkyard wagon ready to potentially weld into position. I also have the plastic bumper cover already too - other than the door sill, there was no other body damage beyond the door.
Here's the conundrum: His insurance wants to total the car b/c it has 411k miles on it. I can keep it, but they are insisting on branding the title as "salvage" and then I have to get it inspected and the title re-issued as "rebuilt." I don't necessarily care about the branding BUT - Has anyone dealt with this themselves? What does it mean for the value if it is hit by someone else in the future? I seem to keep being hit while not moving (this makes the third time just for this car including while in a drive-thru) and I don't know how the potential future payout (if any) would work if the "total loss" has already been paid once. Getting an answer on this helps me make an informed decision.
My other thought (a sad one) is to part it out, the engine is in amazing shape with between 490 and 500 psi per cylinder, new upgraded nozzles about 20k miles ago, and a performance transmission from IPT at the beginning of 2018. It is my highway runner, so smooth all day long.
What would you do?
EDIT: I have replaced the rear door sill and the fit is actually better than I expected, but the door still shows "daylight" behind the seal on both bottom corners. I will tack-weld the sill in place and try actually attaching the latch tomorrow, but I don't have a lot of confidence in my own bodywork skills. As of right now the entire car is for sale. There is a list of its features on page 2, and I will update that list with the known spares that I have in my garage that will also sell with the car.
THE DRIVETRAIN IN THIS CAR IS IN PERFECT CONDITION. The entire front of the interior is in great condition. (The back is a bit messy b/c I removed it to work on this) I'd love to get $1500 for everything.

Last edited:

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Buy it back after they "total" it and do some repairs to make it serviceable and drive it. Probably won't be able to have full coverage insurance on it, nor would there be much reason to, and if it gets smashed again, it's been paid off previously. Or if it gets hit again, IF the other insurance would pay out it would be at a reduced amount because of the "salvage" title.
My 2003 Jetta was rear hit very hard (aprox 30 mph) while parked. It was very totaled. I bought it back for $500 and put the engine into another Jetta (1.8T gasser) chassis and learned a lot about the conversion swap.

Last edited:

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
Has the insurance company put any numbers out there? This would be pointless without them. How much do you have in the repair parts? Branding titles and inspections vary greatly state to state. Currently your state is the only one that matters. Time for some research.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Has the insurance company put any numbers out there? This would be pointless without them. How much do you have in the repair parts? Branding titles and inspections vary greatly state to state. Currently your state is the only one that matters. Time for some research.
Very true. Good advice.
It took as few months to come to terms with the other parties insurance company in my situation. A girls parents owned the car, she had the policy and some boyfriend took it to go to town.
First few offers won't be very favorable. Do your research and any maintainence costs/upgrades you put into it need to be documented and factored in. Don't settle until they give you a fair settlement.
Depending on the settlement offer, your repair abilities and what you expect from the car's future use and value may have a lot of bearing on your decision. It's never a pleasant experience and time consuming.

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I had a similar hit on my Wagon much earlier in its life (a wanker "driving" a Jeep carelessly on less-grippy roads); fortunately it did not end up in a "total".

My take is to get what money you can from the insurance company, fix what you need to, and keep driving. I love my Wagon -- best car I've ever owned and I'll be quite sad the day I can no longer drive it. But you've got a 15-year-old car with 400K+ miles on it. Despite its admirable track record, everyone else who looks at that car sees a 15-year-old car with 400K+ miles on it. At this point, though the car is worth a great deal to you sentimentally, it's only worth a couple of grand to pretty much anyone looking to buy it or total it. Insurance is supposed to be for those losses you can't easily handle yourself. I wouldn't worry about how much less you'd get out of a future payout from a future "incident" -- at this point you're not talking much of a delta.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
What's the estimate to have it fixed?

What's the car worth? Not to you, get some comps.

Arm yourself with info, then talk to them. As said above, don't take their early offers. I wouldn't even counter at first, just say no.

Don't be in a hurry, They're the ones that have to clear up their cases.

As far as lost value for salvage, there is none if that's your only choice. It's actually a gain, they give you fair value, you buy it back for a few hundred, fix it for a thousand and you have your car back. You've already gotten its value from this incident plus a running car.

Last edited:

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Oil Hammer recently posted a wrecked wagon, but rear corner hit was so hard, I understand the doors wouldn't open. I'd let it go if that were the damage, or do the buy-back and remove the engine/trans for transplant.

We had a customer who wrecked the front right fender, door and bent the lower control arm for a repair bill that was supposed to be in the neighborhood of $8000. The ins company wanted to total it.

We got the company to NOT total the car, pay out their 'reasonable' price for the total of the car, minus the buy-back price, which in her case, was around $5000- $600. So, with a $4400 budget, we picked through our 'spare parts' and got a local shop to help get the door frame section straight ($250). After fixing up the obvious damage, we then upgraded the shocks, struts, and were running out of things to do for a $4400 budget. Sure, we didn't work with brand-new parts, but for a 2003 wagon, you'd have to look really close to see what was done.

The fact her company allowed no 'salvage title' to get this car back on the road was huge. If you can avoid that, you save yourself a lot of hassle. Sometimes, they make a title "Non-Repairable Salvage Title" and then you got a big bucket of parts that cannot be put on the road as a licensed vehicle. Don't let them do that! See if they will allow a buy-back with payout, no salvage title BS. That would be best for you assuming the rest of the frame is straight.

Last edited:

Hyde7278

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GL
Fix it. As others have said make sure you do your research since they will lowball you. And when you negotiate price negotiate it as a non salvage title.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Frank's approach is the only way to go here. Insist on a cash settlement. Do not allow the title to be branded. Then fix the wagon yourself, you may well come out ahead.

I have had insurance companies initially refuse to even consider cash settlement, but eventually agree because they want the case closed.

Simon

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Frank's approach is the only way to go here. Insist on a cash settlement. Do not allow the title to be branded. Then fix the wagon yourself, you may well come out ahead.
I have had insurance companies initially refuse to even consider cash settlement, but eventually agree because they want the case closed.
Simon
Depending on the state law there probably will be no choice whether the title will (and should) have a "salvage" title label. In MN, as well as some other states, after an insurance company pays off on a vehicle that has incurred a percentage of damage repair cost vs it's worth, it's marked as salvage. If you repair it so as to pass a very basic (at least again, in MN) inspection the title will be re-issued with a "Prior Salvage" label so any future buyer will know that the vehicle has incurred substantial damage, even though it may appear "normal".
It took a few months, but in the case I had, the final cash settlement was satisfactory. The first several offers were ridiculous.

Geordi

Veteran Member
TDI
To answer the questions... Here are the numbers they have proposed:

Taking the car (which isn't happening) $3400 ish. That includes sales tax and a transfer fee.

Keeping the car, $2800 ish. This would be under a salvage title, canceling the plates and it would need to be inspected before new plates and a new "rebuilt" title could be issued, with an additional fee for the inspection. Their buyback is only $395, and that is factored into the $2800 already, so that is basically the total number. I'd love more of course, just not sure how much more there is available.

They are using one sedan and one wagon as "comparable" vehicles in their bull****, and reducing the number by $1200 because my vehicle has 160% of the "average" mileage according to their tables. One of the comparable vehicles was an auto (as is mine) and the other (the sedan) was a manual. I think I need to find other comparison vehicles to fight them though. They are basing everything on Georgia law where the vehicle is titled.

What I have been told by them and by my insurance is that I would not be able to get full coverage insurance for it again, and the answers about future damage have been vague at best. I don't have full coverage on it anyway b/c of the cost / benefit. They have said that any future incident where I am hit and it is another total loss, the branded status of the title would be factored into any future payout, but haven't been able to tell me by how much. I do not trust insurance companies b/c they weasel out of things with amazing skill.

As far as the car itself - I believe it is abundantly fixable, the door already has been replaced (I did it) and I already have the plastic cover for the bumper. I need to cut out the door sill and stretch the sides about 1/4" to line up the door closure again, and weld in the new door sill that I cut from a junkyard wagon.

The only other damage was the plastic spare tire cover tray, b/c the door sill was pressed down / in to the plastic in the wreck.

Total cost on the parts is maybe $200? (I got some other things at the same time) Being able to do the body work myself is of course a major benefit.

Hyde7278

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GL
My wife has a salvage title on her terrain and her dad rebuilds late model salvage cars.
When we put insurance on the terrain we were told that the pay out is 80% because of the branded title
So I asked why am I paying 100% for insurance shouldn't it be 80% that didn't work though.
Hopefully this gives you an idea on the payout percentage of a branded title.

2000alhVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
My wagon is very much driveable, and I've already gotten the door open and replaced the rear door, it was only jammed by the plastic of the bumper cover. FALSE: you have structure damage/distortion But it doesn't fit right yet b/c the door sill got shoved downward. DING DING DING! Here's that pesky structural damage. Keep digging, there's more! I've got a cut-off sill from a junkyard wagon ready to potentially weld into position. Will never fit properly.I also have the plastic bumper cover already too - other than the door sill, there was no other body damage beyond the door. You got hit by a 6000 lb truck at 15mph. Trust me, there's more.
Here's the conundrum: His insurance wants to total the car b/c it has 411k miles on it.Just as anyone else in their right mind would do. I can keep it, but they are insisting on branding the title as "salvage"YES. Because it's been significantly damged and then I have to get it inspected and the title re-issued as "rebuilt."YES. As a measure to confirm that it has been repaired properly I don't necessarily care about the branding BUT - Has anyone dealt with this themselves? YES. Many times. What does it mean for the value if it is hit by someone else in the future? It would be worth considerably less, just as if it would be worth less on craigslist with a wrecked past. I seem to keep being hit while not moving (this makes the third time just for this car including while in a drive-thru) I know how you feel. I've been struck at red lights 3 times (including once on my motorcycle) and I don't know how the potential future payout (if any) would work if the "total loss" has already been paid once. Getting an answer on this helps me make an informed decision.
Probably won't be able to have full coverage insurance on it, nor would there be much reason to, and if it gets smashed again, it's been paid off previously. Or if it gets hit again, IF the other insurance would pay out it would be at a reduced amount because of the "salvage" title.
you've got a 15-year-old car with 400K+ miles on it. Despite its admirable track record, everyone else who looks at that car sees a 15-year-old car with 400K+ miles on it. At this point, though the car is worth a great deal to you sentimentally, it's only worth a couple of grand to pretty much anyone looking to buy it or total it. Insurance is supposed to be for those losses you can't easily handle yourself. I wouldn't worry about how much less you'd get out of a future payout from a future "incident" -- at this point you're not talking much of a delta.
Oil Hammer recently posted a wrecked wagon, but rear corner hit was so hard, I understand the doors wouldn't open This tends to happen when the structure ripples and distorts. I'd let it go if that were the damage, or do the buy-back and remove the engine/trans for transplant.
The fact her company allowed no 'salvage title' to get this car back on the road was huge. If you can avoid that, you save yourself a lot of hassle. Sometimes, they make a title "Non-Repairable Salvage Title" and then you got a big bucket of parts that cannot be put on the road as a licensed vehicle. Don't let them do that! See if they will allow a buy-back with payout, no salvage title BS. That would be best for you assuming the rest of the frame is straight.What frame???
Fix it. As others have said make sure you do your research since they will lowball you. And when you negotiate price negotiate it as a non salvage title.Usually not possible...for obvious reasons
Frank's approach is the only way to go here. Insist on a cash settlement. Do not allow the title to be branded.See Above. Then fix the wagon yourself, you may well come out ahead.
Depending on the state law there probably will be no choice whether the title will (and should) have a "salvage" title label. In MN, as well as some other states, after an insurance company pays off on a vehicle that has incurred a percentage of damage repair cost vs it's worth, it's marked as salvage. If you repair it so as to pass a very basic (at least again, in MN) inspection the title will be re-issued with a "Prior Salvage" label so any future buyer will know that the vehicle has incurred substantial damage, even though it may appear "normal".
It took a few months, but in the case I had, the final cash settlement was satisfactory. The first several offers were ridiculous.
To answer the questions... Here are the numbers they have proposed:
Taking the car (which isn't happening) $3400 ishThat's about 5x what I expected them to offer. Take it and run.. That includes sales tax and a transfer fee.
Keeping the car, $2800 ish. This would be under a salvage title, canceling the plates and it would need to be inspected before new plates and a new "rebuilt" title could be issued, with an additional fee for the inspection. Their buyback is only $395, and that is factored into the $2800 already, so that is basically the total number. I'd love more of courseReally???? How much more could it possibly be worth???, just not sure how much more there is available.
They are using one sedan and one wagon as "comparable" vehicles in their bull****, and reducing the number by $1200 because my vehicle has 160% of the "average" mileage according to their tablesWHICH IS COMPLETELY LOGICAL AND FAIR. One of the comparable vehicles was an auto (as is mine) and the other (the sedan) was a manual. I think I need to find other comparison vehicles to fight them though. They are basing everything on Georgia law where the vehicle is titled.
What I have been told by them and by my insurance is that I would not be able to get full coverage insurance for it again, and the answers about future damage have been vague at best. I don't have full coverage on it anyway b/c of the cost / benefit.SO WHAT YOU'RE SAYING IS...THE CAR ISN'T WORTH IT TO YOU TO PAY EXTRA FOR FULL COVERAGE INSURANCE They have said that any future incident where I am hit and it is another total loss, the branded status of the title would be factored into any future payout, but haven't been able to tell me by how much. I do not trust insurance companies b/c they weasel out of things with amazing skill.
This thread deviated somewhat from what I expected.
Jettawreck is spot-on the money with this one.

So a couple of things...First of all, I'll state my background. I've been in 3 major not-at-fault accidents. 2 of them I got plowed into from the back at a red light, and the 3rd was someone merging into my lane, contacting my motorcycle.
The first one, I was driving a 1991 Volvo 240 wagon (pictured below). I was hit from the back by a SUV (Tahoe or whatever) at a red light. I can only guess the driver was going 20-25mph at the time. The car LOOKED to have very minor damage. The bumper was a bit crooked, and the taillight was broken, but the tailgate still opened fine, and it drove great! Unfortunately, "it still drives great!" doesn't mean crap in terms of actual damage. Here are some pictures:

Damage "doesn't look so bad". So then we look here:

Ahhhh. We've got a nice 'ripple' from the structure (remember, passenger cars are unibody, so the body is the structure. There is NOT a frame).
But wait! There's more!

Ahh. We've got a crease in the body. This will never straighten out properly.
And saving the best for last:

The floor has split and separated. Walking by, you'd never guess that the inner structure of the car had deformed so much, but the energy has to go somewhere so that it DOESN'T go into your spine. This is the purpose of crumble zones.
Again, I repeat, this was a relatively minor collision, and I drove the car 180 miles home at 80mph with zero drivability issues.
This was minor, and I had no injuries. Just some minor whiplash that lasted 2 days.
I got the car from a family friend who owned a Volvo specialty repair shop. He only did Volvos. I took the car to him as he had good relationships with insurance adjustors. They totaled it (obviously) and I got a fair price for not doing the negotiations myself. Then I offered him the opportunity to buy it at the buyback price ($250). He said "lol no thanks." and pointed out front, to where he had 4 identical wagons, in much better condition than mine, that he had bought from auctions for parts due to front/rear damage.
"This would take so much time and money to fix, it will never be worth it."

So your car has additional damage whether you want to admit it or not. This happens ALL.THE.TIME. with body shops. A car comes in with "$5,000 in repairs". Then they start pulling parts off...and the damage just doesn't end. You pull the bumper off, and it goes from bad to worse. You start pulling suspension parts off, and "oh look! The control arm didn't contain the crash! It got into the strut tower as well".
Suddenly it's $10,000 in repairs, and the car is totaled.

Secondly, I'm actually in disbelief at some people saying things like "do not allow the title to be branded."
As much as I hate salvage titles, I admit they DO exist for a reason, AND HERE IT IS!
This car (irreparable in my opinion) is gonna be slapped back together, and eventually passed onto some unknowing individual.
Again, I hate salvage titles - I have a MINT 2005 Toyota Tacoma, with 47k miles. Top of the line, garage kept since day one. Salvage title because original buyer couldn't afford payments, and left it in a McDonald's parking lot and fraudulently reported theft. NY picked it up, impounded it, and auctioned it off. Salvage branded even though it's a 10/10 truck. Salvage title drops market value from $20k to ~$13k. MEANWHILE, there's 400k mile cars bouncing around with 2-3 wrecks with "clean" titles.
This is why Carfax is a ruse.

This is also why there are additional inspections to "rebuilding" a salvaged vehicle. Which, as annoying as they are, I mostly agree with.
As for negotiating with the insurance, company - what are you expecting here? $10,000?
Them offering $3,400 is extremely reasonable. You can buy a 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI with 150-200k miles for that. They pop up about once a week in my area. You're free to build a case of "comps" and argue for more, but you're being quite silly IMO.

BTW - other 2 accidents, I fought myself. Totaled my 1987 Kawasaki Ninja 500. Ins offered $800. I settled for $2850.
Totaled my 1995 Yamaha XT350. Ins offered $1300 (I believe?) and I settled for $3500. I also broke my wrist in this collision, and eventually settled for $17,500 after medical expenses - fought and settled completely by myself. Of course, I'd prefer it never happened as 3 years later, I still have inflammation.
Both bikes were in exceptional condition, and exceedingly rare models. Volvo wagon was a dime a dozen beater.

Last edited:

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think that's the most lengthily response I've ever seen.
Yep, often significant "hidden" damage.
I've bought and "repaired" several "totaled" vehicles. Some significant damage (the 2001 Jetta TDI original "jettawreck" was a rollover and broken engine block), some very minor. A windshield is a "structural" item. A deer hit with a airbag or two set off will often break the w/s and wrinkle a hood and fender and headlight(s). Easy fixes. Made for great drivers for myself and kids cars.
I won't buy a vehicle with a "prior salvage"/"rebuilt" title because you never know what/how it was damaged and the repair extent and methods. Buy them in the damaged state and you know (at least when you tear into them) what has to be done to make them safe reliable drivers.
In the OP's case, I would fix as needed and continue to drive it until it isn't feasible. At that point it doesn't matter what it's worth.

Last edited:

Geordi

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey JW - I think you mean you wouldn't buy them with a "rebuilt" title, b/c then the work has already been done. The salvage brand is the first step according to what they told me.

As of right now, I'm thinking to make it available as it is, with all the extra parts for someone like you. The transmission is brand-new with only about 20k miles on it from IPT, and while the engine may have 411k on it, it has a new head from Frank this past spring and new timing belt, oil pump, injector nozzles (PP520 IIRC), and brand new tires from just about a month ago. Plus I have 2 rear bumpers, a full set of sedan bumpers factory-new, new interior and exterior plastics, and on and on.

I may be looking to move to a different vehicle, but I don't want the insurance to get this. The claims of "more hidden damage" are certainly valid in most cases, but I've already stripped the back down and there isn't more. The door sill is two layers of stamped sheetmetal formed and glued, and the folding damage goes maybe 2 inches below the top of the sill. That's it.

I just got back from being out of town and I don't have pictures of the inside yet to show. Let me clean it out today and get those pictures and see if there is any interest.

Last edited:

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hey JW - I think you mean you wouldn't buy them with a "rebuilt" title, b/c then the work has already been done. The salvage brand is the first step according to what they told me.

As of right now, I'm thinking to make it available as it is, with all the extra parts for someone like you. The transmission is brand-new with only about 20k miles on it from IPT, and while the engine may have 411k on it, it has a new head from Frank this past spring and new timing belt, oil pump, injector nozzles (PP520 IIRC), and brand new tires from just about a month ago. Plus I have 2 rear bumpers, a full set of sedan bumpers factory-new, new interior and exterior plastics, and on and on.

I may be looking to move to a different vehicle, but I don't want the insurance to get this. The claims of "more hidden damage" are certainly valid in most cases, but I've already stripped the back down and there isn't more. The door sill is two layers of stamped sheetmetal formed and glued, and the folding damage goes maybe 2 inches below the top of the sill. That's it.

I just got back from being out of town and I don't have pictures of the inside yet to show. Let me clean it out today and get those pictures and see if there is any interest.
Yes, you are correct, mistake on my wording. Title typically goes to "Salvage" as soon as they can process it after the insurance buy out. Will make an edit.
Thanks!

Last edited:

Geordi

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, here are all the pictures I have.

https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=kZVxan7Z8JVzL9cypLbGRybxpHeJzBKeoG7V

I'll try to make a complete listing of everything that the car has, and I'm opening the door to offers. I don't want the insurance to take it.

I already have the rear door sill cut from another wagon ready to try and install, but the door right now DOES latch, but does not seal with the damaged one.

Damaged door is removed, have not removed all the bits from it yet other than the key switch.

On the car mechanically:
All-aluminum SMIC
upgraded injectors from Kerma, installed maybe 20k miles ago.
New head ported and built by Frank06 this past spring
Upgraded oil pump kit from Frank06 installed this past spring
NEW TIRES ABOUT A MONTH AGO (with receipt) this was close to $500 by itself!
NEW PERFORMANCE AUTO TRANSMISSION from Import Performance Transmissions - $3600 setup, ROCK STABLE and built for reliability, only has about 20k miles on it.
Fresh timing belt from this past spring
Bypass oil filtration system (Metalnerd)

FixMyVW armrest latch
heated cloth seats - NO TEARS ON THE SEATS, virtually no wear on them.
FUNCTIONAL AND NOT BROKEN glove box
NO SOFT TOUCH crap on the interior.
Pioneer DVD touchscreen double-din radio with front aux input and XM ready
Multiple cargo covers, cargo mats.
Two used rear bumper covers (one body color and in good condition)
Complete set sedan bumpers factory new (unpainted)

Spare engine (250k miles IIRC) lacking only the injection pump. Yes it has the head and turbo, injectors too IIRC.
There are a couple boxes of other spares including multiple engine mounts and an AC compressor, possibly a starter and alternator as well.
Lots of spare modules and relays, spare steering wheel with airbag... Any parts that I have for a MKIV will sell with this.

I also have an 03 sedan for sale in the sale section, also has lots of upgrades and a new transmission from IPT.

Last edited:

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
I bought an 05 golf from ny that was totaled from reared damage. 10 hours of pounding and welding I put it together to hold a seal on the hatch, water tight, get the spare tire out and hold the bumper straight. Wi doesn't rebrand the title I am finding and ny didn't do that either as I transferred without issue. Wife totalled the same car hitting a curb from ice at the right side basically ruining the suspension which was 1500 worth of parts to chain (rim, control arm, axle, 2 shocks, rear axle, hub, hardware, alignment, ect). Insurance paid fine. They have it fully insured again with no inspections. It also blew two airbags which where fixed. I agree I don't want to buy a car with problems hidden.

Bottom line your state rules impact a lot of this, comps with a car on that high of miles will be hard no mater how good the car is. And the other guys insurance is who should be paying so you can fight a little harder since it isn't your company who could drop you or raise your rates. But depends on when you want to legally get this on the road.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Geordi

Veteran Member
TDI
Agreed to all of that, and you got lucky that NY didn't brand the title.

I spent some more time on it tonight and got the door sealing so it doesn't look like there is any daylight poking through - If the seal is fully seated at the corners that may change, but I think I'm going to massage the sill fit a little bit and try to tighten that up. The door was always a tight fit anyway.

Maybe I will drag my feet a bit - they haven't paid and I haven't canceled the tag or the insurance yet, so nothing has been "decided" and I think I can legally drive it even as the claim is in process... But I don't need to, and it still needs work b/c with the interior removed, this is as good a time as any to fix the headliner which needed it. Maybe I won't need to sell it.

Geordi

Veteran Member
TDI
It is simple: It is in their best interest to pay as little as possible to make me go away so that they can close the claim. It is in my best interest to collect as much as possible for my property that was damaged to such a level that they have decided it was destroyed.

Their "offer" so far leaves me with significant questions about future value of my very-much-safe-and-drivable car, so it is in MY best interest to get more from them since I now likely have to find something else to drive.

So to answer your question: More than they are offering now. Based on the attitude you have shown in this thread, I have to ask: Which insurance carrier do you work for?

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Just check with your own insurance before driving to make sure you have liability coverage. They likely won't cover any further damages to the car until deamed fixed. You have every right to make sure you get a fair replacement value for the car. Look up other cars you self. They do have a formula to calculate how much to drop the value on miles. I ran into that with my 04 golf that had an engine fire. They lowballed it. I gave comps and they adjusted for the milage difference but it worked out i took the second offer.

2nd golf the 05 that is still fully insured and fixed twice they actually hauled my car away with the agreement to haul it back no mater the outcome since the nearest insurance adjuster was 3 hours away and a few weeks out vs towing there and back in the same week. They totaled and gave me a fair price. Couldn't say I could find a better value. They put around 5800 for it with around 180k. After deductable and buyback I had around 4300. Once repaired I called insurance to say it was repaired. They didn't send anyone to look at it.

In Wyoming they did require a certified mechanic to sign off that it was safe before they would insure. Was ok if you were an official mechanic. Thankfully I only have claimed insurance 2 times and wi isn't so bad for that.

At the end of the day get as much as you can from it. It will be totalled. State rules determine if the title is branded and your insurance and state rules determine how to get back on the road with coverage. You can drive at this point with just liability anyways once repaired as the car likely doesn't owe you anything and insurance will pay less and less unless proven worth more.

Good luck. I like to see them keep going.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V#2 "Flash", 2000 Jetta GL, B4V#1 "PaTuDI" (2008-2018 RIP)
Currently going through this with Liberty, the other guys' insurance company. Unfortunately, there was no doubt my B4V was totaled. The big argument is getting a Fair Market Value settlement offer; they're still $1,600 below provable FMV.

First off, become very familiar with anything called "Fair Claims Settlement" rules and regulations for your state. Find out what the requirements are for comparable vehicles. If they're like kind, mileage, and condition, the sedan is out. Also ask for their source for average mileage. If they can't provide it, the National Average has to be used. Then do your own research for comps in your area. Use SearchTempest.com to cover all of CraigsList. Get the VIN's for any comp they're trying to push and verify that all are TDI's.

Best of luck, you're probably going to need all you can get!