Troubles starting, need your advise

Dmitry

Dear colleagues,
I need your help so badly. Bought the 98 Jetta with 80 KMi from a really nice local dealer a month ago. After couple of weeks drove about 100 Mi then had little break. My car did not start (I waited ~20 sec as usually till the double beep, then tried it- the starter did not move). After few attempts left the car for half an hour- it started right away. Then it happened a week ago, tried to start it late evening (was standing couple of hours) - the same thing but was able to start only after 3 hours. I assumed that it might be somehow related to alarm system (I had similar problem w/my LADA back in Russia 5 years ago) or to funky JVC in-dash CD Player. Forgot to notice that after leaving a car alarm turned on only after 30 sec or so if I used keys. If I used remote, alarm turned on right away but the car closed doors after 1 minute. So I went to a local alarm mechanic who was scratching his head for quite a bit and then made a bypass with fuse over the timer without touching the alarm. The car worked and now it was nothing weird with alarm, remote etc. (I still wait 30 sec before starting the engine).
But yesterday evening it happened again and forever. This time starter tried to crank and died. Nothing moves. Battery is fine, jump start does not help, nothing!

My guesses:
1) Dead starter (it was making old belt noise right after start but just for a moment)
2) Weird alarm (factory) from which I would LOVE to get rid of but don't know how.
3) Some kind of relay (which one, I don't know)

I really hope to hear from you guys who are MUCH MORE WISE than me. I never had diesel before.
Yours very sincerely,
Dmitry.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Please do not cross-post. Ask your question in the ONE section which is most appropriate, that way the right people will see it and it won't bother those not interested. And it will be easier to find your responses since they will all be in one place.

Johnny

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat, TDI Wagon, in Silver Blue Metalic
Sounds like your ignition switch is acting up to me. You may have to replace that. See if you can get one that matches your existing key number, if you have that. Otherwise you will have to go with a two key system or get the lock cylinders in the door locks changed to match your new ignition key! Not great news but there it is

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
If the starter has been making some noise, you may have found a possible cause. I found out from another A3 Jetta owner that if you ever start the car, and the 'BRAKE' light illuminates somewhat dimly, that indicates that the starter is not fully disengaged. I had this happen to me once, and the starter still sometimes makes noise. I just watch and make sure that the light is not on.

Driving on the starter with it not being disengaged will cause failure really quickly.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Greeting Dmitry, and welcome to the forum.

One thing that occurred to me is that perhaps you still have some summer fuel in your tank. This could be making your fuel thick because it doesn't have the winterizing anti-gel additives in it. In any case, I think it's worth putting some Power Service in, just to be sure. They now have a product that includes a Cetane boost - look for it.

If you are driving a '98, you don't really need to wait a full 30 seconds for a cold start. As soon as the coil light goes out, you ought to be able to start the car. Too bad the alarm may have been affected by your stereo. The system is normally very easy to use without incident.

For the record, the door is actually programmed to relock after a minute, if you do not open the door after unlocking it with the remote. It's a feature to assure that you don't accidentally leave the door unlocked. I think you can de-select this at the dealer.

In any case, good luck. It doesn't sound like the end of the world, just something replacable that's wearing out.

Let us know what the ultimate solution was.

~BeetleGo

Joe Romas

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sprotswagen
At about 80k miles my 96 passat tdi wagon developed a bad ignition SWITCH, not the lock. I replaced it myself, needed to pull the steering wheel and air bag to get at it. It failed in another way, when turned to the ON position from start position it wouldn't always switch things like heater, wipers radio and other stuff back on. I took the old one appart and it was a very delicate and flimsey. It was about $14 at a local import car parts place. Read in the bently how to work with the airbag.

Joe
99.5 a4 tdi jetta

forehead

Sell your Jetta before it is too late or too broke to fix it anymore. My cousin has a 95 Jetta GLX and he puts in ~$3K a year for repairs since they bought it in 95, at least that is what he tells me. Lately, I have seen the window and sunroof duct taped, so he probably not lying. I don't know why he keep it or keep complaining about it? I suggest you sell the car.

christi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Peugeot 806, 607
That is poor advice. I assume that the GLX that you mention is a gasser, not a TDI.

My 96 Passat has 90,000 miles (145,000 km) and has only had two major faults.

1. In the summer in needed a new air conditioning condensor.

2. It recently needed a new steering column rubber boot. The part was only £25 but they had to drop the front subframe to fit it.

I reckon that that is not bad at all.

A starter motor that doesn't turn over should be easy enough to diagnose.

First apply 12+ direct to the starter motor terminal that the key normally supplies (the only thin wire). If it still doesn't turn over then condemn the starter motor itself. You can probably get the motor reconditioned by an autoelectrician.

If the starter does turn over then it isn't the starter.

Next go to the switch block on the back of the ignition key.
One of the wires (sorry, need a Bentley to say which) should go +12V when the key is turned to "start". If not then condemn the switch block on the ignition switch, but not the lock barrel.

If it is neither of those things then it must be the wiring or alarm.

On UK spec cars the alarm does not interact with this wire, it just goes straight from key to starter motor, but the US ones might be different of course.

forehead

Originally posted by christi:
[QB]That is poor advice. I assume that the GLX that you mention is a gasser, not a TDI.

I asked him (my cousin) about his Jetta GLX. It is a gasser. He said most of his problems is electrical. He said his sunroof and drivers door is duct taped up/shut. This is his 5th time with the motors in the doors. Would this matter if his car is a gasser or diesel?

I still say 'sell, sell, sell!'

christi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Peugeot 806, 607
I think that you are saying that all A3s are a poor buy because you believe that the electric windows and sunroof are likely to stop working and cost a fortune.

Based on your experience of one car.

This may, or may not be true.

However it really doesn't help Dmitri to solve his problem, which has nothing to do with electric windows or sunroof.

You are just effectively telling him that his car is rubbish and to get rid of it... Nice piece of advice.

I don't agree, as the TDI is such a superb engine, that the odd electrical hassle (and I have had very few) is worth putting up with to get such a superb engine.

In fact, assuming that Dmitri has a limited budget, and is therefore stuck with buying 4 year old cars, has made an inspired choice, and simply has a minor, if rather annoying electrical problem to sort out now.

Lance Allison

Requiesce In Pace October 20th, 2019
TDI
98 Jetta, Classic Green
I have to agree with Christi on this one...

I have 190k miles on my 98 A3 Jetta. Never use the sunroof, so I've not had any problems with it. Window regulators do seem to be an issue (I've replaced 2), but that hardly warrants dumping the car. No other problems.

If I have $3k TOTAL in repairs in my car, I'd be surprised. That would include tires, brakes, timing belts, etc, etc. Even the $1100 spent on an upgraded clutch.

Almost every car, yes even Hondas and Lexus, have known issues. I really think you'd be hard pressed to find a better ride than a VW TDI.