Trusted TDI Mechanics - By State

djembeing

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDi
ky guru

I haven't received any private messages. I'll need a timing belt soon. I'd really like to get this thing in top shape. I'm in eastern KY. Could someone email me? djembeing@gmail.com
Thanks

ahlenius

TDI
2009 Jetta Gone back to Vw is missed!White 2006 jetta package 2 has 260,000 mi + Blue 2006 package 0 jetta 116000 miles
Long time Trusted mechanic in Dallas Fort Worth Area

TDI GUY Fort Worth Texas owned and operated by Steve Glover. Excellent repair shop!
I highly recommend him to any one with a VW ,BMW or any German TDI.

Joshua!

TDI
2004 Golf Gls
Automotive Consulting Services
GotEuroCorrado on tdiclub.com
Roman Goldin
21 North York Road, Unit 3b
Hatboro, PA 19040
(267) 317 8229
Just outside of Philadelphia

Already in the list, but I wanted to add my 2 cents. Just had cam/lifters replaced here in my 2004 Golf around 200k. Roman was easy to deal with, genuinely knowledgeable, thorough, and was able to get the job done quickly without much heads up on my part.

He took the time to poke through the rest of the car with me and answer all my other questions, and he didn't even make too much fun of the headlight access panel I made out of duct tape and a coat hanger. I don't think he liked it all that much, but he didn't pass down harsh judgement either.

Bottom line, I wouldn't hesitate to head back to him if I needed something else major done.

kharmin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta, DSG, Package 0
You guyz did me such a solid, with Munk's Motors in Waterford/Pontiac, Mich! :)
(HI, George!!)
Any recos, please for Minneapolis-St. Paul? I've been here since February, and it's time for Mori to get a check up!

TIA!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
You guyz did me such a solid, with Munk's Motors in Waterford/Pontiac, Mich! :)
(HI, George!!)
Any recos, please for Minneapolis-St. Paul? I've been here since February, and it's time for Mori to get a check up!

TIA!
I've used both South Central Imports in Minneapolis and Midwest Motorworks in Hudson, WI. Midwest may be closer for you and Eric is, in my opinion, a true TDI guru. (That would be Eric Merker.)

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf 6MT, 01 NB 5MT shell
Chris Mentrup - 513-593-3482, in the Dayton/Cincinnati Ohio metro area. I've known Chris for 12+ years. He was already working on VW's when I met him and he's worked on VW's the entire time I've known him.

There isn't any type of air cooled or water cooled VW he doesn't know or can't repair.

I think he's owned at least one of every variety of VW, including the Type 183/Iltis.

He recently did a timing belt service on my son's 2001 Golf TDI and will be doing an automatic to 6 speed manual swap on that car as soon as my son gets his funds together.

I'd recommend him for any VW or TDI work.

j1mfrog

TDI
03 Beetle TDI
Ben Brendle - Guru Extraordinaire

I had Ben Brendle do the 300,000 maintenance on my 03 Beetle. He was courteous and professional. I quizzed him on many TDI related issues and could not stump him. He was fair and honest. He ran into a few snags while working on my car but handled them all well above my expectations. He left me with input on a few other things I need to take care of on the car that I had not asked him to repair. Overall, I would give him the highest rating possible for a TDI Guru.
vwjettadsl
vwtdisales.com
vwtdisales@gmail.com

By the way, here's what my intake looked like at 300,000

Edit - Forgot to add, he traveled 8 hours one way for the job and was still more economical than the local guru.

Last edited:

mr_y82

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have... '11 Golf, 6-spd, 2-door
For anyone who has been trying to get in touch with ADW, Daniel is back in town! Best wishes!

Last edited:

TdiRN

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta, 5 speed, 400k milesish
Can you all add VW Parts Unlimited in Lakeland, FL to the list?

They did a great job on my 5 speed swap. They specialize in everything VW.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Can you all add VW Parts Unlimited in Lakeland, FL to the list?
They did a great job on my 5 speed swap. They specialize in everything VW.
The Google reviews are very glowing.

CaptFlip

TDI
09 Jetta Sportwagen
Accessing ABS controller 09 Jetta Sportwagen

Hey Folks,

I'm trying to get the part number for the ABS controller. I can figure out how to get to it even to snap a picture. Further how to remove the silly thing.

Taking off the fender seems pretty radical....Any ideas?

Thanks

Flip

RedTDIowner

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi A6 3.0 TDI
It would be nice for them to update the state list. One of the two mechanics listed in KY has retired and I am sure there is more than one in the state of KY.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
It would be nice for them to update the state list. One of the two mechanics listed in KY has retired and I am sure there is more than one in the state of KY.
Them is us. See Post#1.
Not sure how you contact a moderator, but if you let them know those folks are retired they can update.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Moderators for each forum subgroup are listed at the bottom right of each page of the forum thread listings. For this forum one page back and lower right corner.

Waykooljr

TDI
2009 TDI Stock with 6spd manual
I am hoping someone could refer me to a shop in Oregon that will install a custom exhaust and tune for my TDI.
I near Salem Oregon.

777funk

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ALH - 5 speed
Toms Imports of Columbia MO (on the trusted mechanics list) was the worst mechanic experience I've ever had. He was extremely dishonest. Service in his shop ruined a good car and he refused to make it right or pay for the damages. I had a good running car with a minor issue when I brought it in and a left with a bill and $2000 in damage. Poor staff workmanship ruined high dollar parts and he refused to do the right thing in correcting the problem. I talked to a friend who worked for an attorney and there were several suits against him with similar stories. I highly do not recommend using Tom's.

vwjettadsl

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
TDI’s
Toms Imports of Columbia MO (on the trusted mechanics list) was the worst mechanic experience I've ever had. He was extremely dishonest. Service in his shop ruined a good car and he refused to make it right or pay for the damages. I had a good running car with a minor issue when I brought it in and a left with a bill and $2000 in damage. Poor staff workmanship ruined high dollar parts and he refused to do the right thing in correcting the problem. I talked to a friend who worked for an attorney and there were several suits against him with similar stories. I highly do not recommend using Tom's.
Sorry to hear of your experience, not the first time hearing of such incidents or seeing them first hand.

KCTDI is close by though, look him up on the Trusted TDI Mechanics list. Mike will treat you fairly!

BorisBug99

TDI
99 beetle
Bens Vee-Dub shop in Madison Wisconsin not responding, might be closed?
phone number says email only except when you email you get no reply.
Called Courtesy Auto instead and they called right back, so far been great.
have an appointment soon for a timing belt-Kerma tune and 1019 nozzels.

Electrodynamic

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta/Bora TDI
I don't know how it hasn't been nominated but I need to nominate Guy Roberts VW in Newton, NC. Very small but highly specialized VW shop. I have taken both my current VW Jetta TDI and my previous VW Jetta TDI to Guy Roberts and the service is reasonably quick, very thorough, and very affordable.
With my current VW I had it towed 45 minutes to Guy Roberts to have them inspect it inside and out before I drove it for the first time. Anyone that lives in NC that owns a VW owes it to themselves to have their car looked at by Guy Roberts.
I don't see their official web page but there is there Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Guy-Roberts-VW-Repair/139588259422640

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
I tried using the links in post 1 but the list won't work, the map worked ok but I'd still like to see if there were any updates.

I live in central CT and have a MK4 auto Jetta with 166k that is dying, thinking I will have 413 performance do a DRW 6spd swap and full Tbelt. I hear these guys are good no?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The effort to construct a list of the best TDI techs has been mainly the work of jwlionking for nearly 12 years. Good people were added; some people were put on the list but then removed because they stopped working on TDIs, or they didn't have the training and knowledge that we require, or sometimes they didn't have the people skills to deal with TDI enthusiasts.

Over the last several years it's become increasingly difficult to run the list. How many positive comments justify adding someone to the list? What kind of negative comments should lead to removing a name from the list?

I don't really have a suggestion for improving the list. It would be great if there was someone in each state who knew all the best TDI experts in their state, either personally or by reputation -- but I think in most states this is not the case.

Perhaps the best place for newish TDI owners to discover who are the best in their areas is to go to the regional forums. A single list for all of the US and Canada is probably never going to be what we wish it could be.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Instead of going thru 190+ threads...

SwFL gurus too suggest?? Much appreciated.
There are links in Post #1.
It's a long shot to get a referral from a single plea, many mechanics are not big computer users and they folks won't be looking in this thread for business. Of course it's worth a try!.
Also check regional forums.